It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Creature: The Flamboyant Cuttlefish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I always thought that cuttlefish were amazing creatures. It's ability to communicate silently, via posturing, and rapid color pattern changes, shows that it is one of the BIG-Brains of the Phylum Mollusca.

One species really takes it a step further. The Flamboyant Cuttlefish.

These little dudes spent a lot of time just "walking around" the sea floor.
Seemingly unaware of the danger that could be lurking around the next corner.
Scientist's were puzzled at first, why do these guys seem to feel they own the highway? It turns out that these are the ONLY species of poisonous cuttlefish known. The poison is contained throughout the body, in the muscles.
Their bizarre skin texturing, and color changes are the STOP SIGN, to other creatures. Much as the colorful poison Arrow Frogs announce their deadliness to potential predators.
Pfeffers Flamboyant Cuttlefish

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Yes, this creature is very beautiful and should be left alone in its environment. It's too bad the cuttlefish bone makes its way to the pet store and into the cage of my parakeets.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pikypiky

Probably not from This species. It's highly toxic. Better check the birdies.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Bones themselves are not poisonous, it's the cells in the tissue membranes that are poisonous. These guys are sweet mollusks, cephalopods, with a foot split into tentacles and an internal shell. They are intelligent creatures and one of the most simplistic (in terms of cladograms and all that) animals with relatively great vision.

Most cephalopods in the phylum mollusca are highly advanced. Look at the mimic octopus for another great example.

^_^

[edit on 2/2/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Fugu testicles contain no poison either. Unless the chef makes a little mistake.

the mimic octopus is amazing too. Sea snake one minute, flounder the next.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

I am seriously considering just studying cryptozoology and mollusks, because so few people actually focus on them, and they are so interesting.

Squid are intense. So amazing.

Speaking of mollusks, does anyone else find this to be amazing?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Awesome, thanks for posting those. I've seen that second video before.
Gives me a headache, just above my eye.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Nice videos. It's just that sea critters are so intelligent just by observing their behaviors in the wild. When you do pursue your interest, please let us know your findings about their 'smartness'. I'm sure people would stop eating them once they know that both their beauty and brains really matter when alive than on the menu.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I've always been impressed with cuttlefish but I have to say I have never seen a video of a cuttlefish like that. Thanks for the post. Oh, one time a friend of mine made me watch videos of a Mantis Shrimp. Those things are crazy too. If you have not already, go look up some videos.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Mantis shrimp are super awesome and so RAINBOW!!!

Okay, here's a cool mollusk video for you re: intelligence

For those who may be bored of "Octopus opening jar" I bring you...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by etombo

I know what you mean. first time I saw footage of this critter I was amazed at the way it walked around. The two rear "legs" are just modified skin flaps.

join