It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Thousands still without power

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Well this is my first thread here ATS but a long time reader/visitor. I thought I'd bring this topic up because no one seems to be writing about it. Maybe they don't have power?

Why do I think if Bush was still in office they would be calling this Katrina Part 2????? Why isn't Obama doing more to help these people? It's almost been 1 week since they lost power with freezing temperatures outside.

Kentucky-600,000 homes without power
www.cnn.com...

Arkansas- 114,000 homes without power
www.publicbroadcasting.net...

Missouri- 51,000 homes without power
www.kansascity.com...

Indiana- 25,000 homes without power
www.indystar.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Wow i heard about this days ago, i assumed they had power back by now or something was being done. What's the situation like there?

What does 'no power' mean? sometimes they really mean hardly any power, is everything dark at night? hospitals running on generator, etc? Know how the fuel supply is? they were having fuel supply problems before weren't they or is that further south?

Any word when the power is due back on? was it downed powerlines which caused it?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
in fairness what can they do, it takes a day and a half to fix a pole and they have thousands to fix, people aren't dieing in large numbers and the majority of deaths are from people being idiots and using heaters inside which release carbonmonoxide.

I;m listening to Indiana police scanner at the mo and it sounds fairly quiet over there, police still have time to deal with petty crime so can't be a sitX yet.

things like this happen, when they do you can only start to fix the damage and rebuild -this isn't like katrina at all.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Maybe the 'government' is testing how well the people fair without electricity. I saw on a cable news how a convenience store couldn't sell their stuff because they couldn't 'ring up' the sales without their computers, which requires electricity! And the first thing that got me was, why can't the store clerks just manually log in the sold items on PAPER like the old days! Damn!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
haha yeah that's just stupid -i bet they first brought an electric till less than forty years ago!

Despite the foot of snow they have i wonder how many people have let the food in their freezer defrost inside their house?

ALL the police are doing in indy at the moment is dealing with smashed up cars blocking the roads, people are sliding off the roads into bridges, light poles, peoples houses and other peoples cars all over the place! Don't they get that the road is covered in ICE???? Also they keep having to rescue people who are stuck and have no warm clothes -srsly? you went out in your car during a massive snow event and didn't take some jackets, socks, blankets, etc, etc just in case?

"1050 Slide off, property damage" seems to be the only call they're getting -since i was writing this no fewer than 5 people have been reported on the same stretch of road.

Mind you they're getting salt delivered for the city, not geting any for the highway! In england we have little yellow trunks of salt near most the roads with large stockpiles of gritting salt at depos in strategicly important locations -i would have though someone who get's real weather would have even better prepared for it.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
What exactly do you want Obama to do stand outside of the white house and say "let there be light" This is not similar to Katrina at all

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I don't know, but all i know is in 93 when we got are big blizzard it took several weeks for everybody to regain power. Could just simply be that it takes a while?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky
Maybe the 'government' is testing how well the people fair without electricity. I saw on a cable news how a convenience store couldn't sell their stuff because they couldn't 'ring up' the sales without their computers, which requires electricity! And the first thing that got me was, why can't the store clerks just manually log in the sold items on PAPER like the old days! Damn!

What?! Really?
Do our brains stop working when the electricity goes out?

top topics

join