It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation Milestone Achieved

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Teleportation Milestone Achieved

www.livescience.com

Scientists have come a bit closer to achieving the "Star Trek" feat of teleportation. No one is galaxy-hopping, or even beaming people around, but for the first time, information has been teleported between two separate atoms across a distance of a meter — about a yard.

This is a significant milestone in a field known as quantum information processing, said Christopher Monroe of the Joint Quantum Institute at the University of Maryland, who led the effort.

Teleportation is one of nature's most mysterious forms of transport: Quantum information, such as the spin of a particle or the polarization of a photon, is transferred from one place to another, without traveling through any physical medium. It has previously been achieved between photons (a unit, or quantum, of electromagnetic radiation, such as light) over very large distances, between photons and ensembles of atoms, and between two nearby atoms through the intermediary action of a third.

None of those, however, provides a feasible means of holding and managing quantum information over long distances.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Review This Link: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

* Copy the exact headline of the story into the headline field, don't make one up or sensationalise it. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be moved, closed or deleted.

* Make sure the story is not more than 48 hours old. Old news is not breaking news and more importantly, it's probably already posted.

* Please note that there is a character limit of 500 characters for the copied story snippet. Exceeding this character limit may result in drastic editing or your thread will be closed, moved or deleted.

[edit on 2/3/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I stumbled across this on live science and am interested in hearing peoples theories for actual human teleportation and/or time travel, is it really possible? Sure we have always been intrigued by the concept and have given life to many ideas in TV & Film, namely Star Trek and Back To The Future. But is it really possible, I think not. I believe it would take us thousands oif years to perfect technology capable of breaking up the complex human structure and then re-assembling it at the other end! Thousands of years that I believe we don't have.

www.livescience.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2/3/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
Subject already being covered here.
Looks interesting.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by wheresthetruth]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
The beginning of the article is based on a false premise that no one has performed teleportation......there is no way they can validate that statement, the best they can possibly say is that they are incapable of doing it. IMO i have teleported millions of entities around the Universe and business is thriving. If human scientists persist in trying to find a mechanical solution for a non-physical problem they are wasting time and resources on a fruitless search. They would be better served studying Aleister Crowley, "as above, so below."

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
I don't know if you guys have seen this but this youtube video is really neat. It supposedly has a guy who traveled, through a "portal", back in time and has proof. Who knows if its real or not but its really a neat video nonetheless.

Maybe the water was really bong water or something
... But I still love the video!

-ChriS

[edit on 3-2-2009 by BlasteR]

top topics

join