It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Temporary Epiphany - What, How and Why?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Epiphany may not be the right word, I'm sure it is, but I've known to be wrong before.

Let me explain.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have you ever had one of those moments, can be triggered by anything or nothing, when the world seems clearer or you are overcome with a sense of peace.

Things may look completely different, or like you've never really seen them for their true selves. You may find in your mind some kind of higher meaning or finally pick out that niggling thing that is wrong with the world.

All this happens in about a second. Then you are back to normal. You can't remember the incredible, life changing though you just had, nor can you fully describe the feeling that overcame you.

I call it a temporary epiphany because it feels like you have somehow discovered something extraordinary, without even trying, like a step to enlightenment, and then it is taken away again.

I've been told that this experience is fairly common, but I know little about it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had several moments like this. It feels like a strange case of deja-vu, except instead of something repeating, it is like it is the first moment in your life that something is actually happening. Then it's gone. Frustratingly gone.

One day I can remember simply reading a novel and I was overcome with a feeling like I had just thought of some intrinsically important fact that could lead to removing that 'wrongness' that is felt about reality. I can remember sitting bolt upright and this goofy smile spreading across my face. And then it was gone. I can't remember what I thought of, or how, or why.

What are these little moments? Are they a glimpse at something more? Or just something that clicks in the brain?

How do they happen? What, if anything, can trigger them?

And most importantly, why? Why do we have these 'visions' of sorts.

I'm sure many of you have felt the same experience before (at least I hope it isn't just me being strange
). Tell your stories and try to find the words for what you experienced.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Dude, I get that sensation quite often.

And I have noticed that I get them more frequently and longer.

Especially while meditating.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by dalan.

Hmm.

That is kind of why I think it is so strange when I get the feeling. I'm completely non religious, and I don't meditate.

Perhaps, like in the instance where I was reading, I reached such a quiet, calm state and was so engrossed in the novel that my body responded to it as if I was consciously meditating.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by fooffstarr

That, and I personally do believe that mankind's state of consciousness is evolving quite rapidly as a whole.

But it is my opinion.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
It's my understanding that this is also known as quickening. A religious experience in which some claim it's the holy spirit. Some kind of chemical reward that some drugs also manipulate? Many times I've had these when the information was actually wrong.

books.google.com... j7bBr30&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result

[edit on 2-2-2009 by aleon1018]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I get a similar feeling whenever I think about if things are real. If I concentrate on that topic long enough things start feeling like I'm watching a movie and that everything is very fake.

I started getting this feeling as a kid in church (I'm more of a non-religious person now) and now I can get this feeling by thinking hard for a couple of minutes. That makes it feel almost like a super power

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Ive had that feeling when using Salvia Divinorum (legal in Canada). After I come to my senses I feel as though I should be remembering something and in the cycle it takes for my blood to circulate through my body I almost remember it but on my next fresh heartbeat all is forgotten again.

Reminds me of the "If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it really fall" type of scenario. The harder I try to remember, the less I'm able to grasp that feeling.

Definite Epiphany, totally temporary.

Peace

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by PaperIons

Indeed.

The opposite feeling can also be achieved by contemplating nothingness.

Instead of feeling enlightened or discovering new knowledge, you get overwhelmed with a feeling of uselessness, confusion and a sense of being overwhelmed.

Deep thought can sometimes lead to great things, but other times, it pushes the idea of life being a pointless display.

However, nothingness is not the topic so I won't digress further

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

I know the feeling you describe about trying to remember the feeling. Seems like you take one step closer, and it withdraws five more.

It's like trying to run after a train that is already a spot on the horizon. It's pointless and will never be achieved.

Better chance of turning backwards instead, recreating the conditions when you experienced the feeling in an attempt to re-experience it.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Well i think i know what you mean. Take alook at my thread below:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Does it sound similar?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Great topic.

Thanks for the link.

Epilepsy hey? Tell you what, If that feeling is caused by a condition such as epilepsy, now matter how heartless it may sound, it would help many misguided people in the world to have it and experience it.

I had an episode last year where I thought I was having a heart attack. I had a strong pain in the centre of my chest, and was uncontrollably shaking.

The doctors monitored me for hours and found no possible reason for my condition. I was eventually let home after it subsided. Perhaps it is related?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Fooffstarr, I think that you may have had a panic attack. I had one of those on the subway in Toronto. I totally thought that either A. My heart was on the verge of breakdown, or B. My lungs were filling with blood. I knew neither were true and that I was just freaking out, but I was almost hyperventilating and felt dizzy and pale as a ghost.

The cure for me was a Ginger Ale and some fresh air.

Peace

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
What you are explaining sounds to me like a temporary enlightenment glimpse, known in Indian Buddhist meditation as Samadhi, Japanese Buddhism refers to states of Kensho or Satori. Quieten down the mind, and your surroundings, and especially your senses and you will be surprised, once the focus is internal, how easy it is to attain such transcendent states of consciousness.

Namaste.

io

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Yes! Amazing! I thought I perhaps was the only one. Also you worded this so eloquently. It is almost as if we have some type of shroud or veil over are understanding.

In addition,
I had a very realistic dream one time where I went to a heavenly type place and met with scores of decease relatives. While there I asked many questions and understood everything. It was so obvious, simple, and understandable. When I woke up I could not remember what the answers were and I was back in the darkness so to speak.

Lastly,
I have also had times were I was near the edge of sleep where I suddenly was able to easily solve some tough engineering problem. 99% of the time, the solution will slip away prior to me being able to write it down/retain it.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

Possibly, but I really had nothing to panic about. I was sitting where I am now, doing what I am now. Posting on ATS.

Guess that incident will remain a mystery

reply to SailorinAZ

Thanks

I know what you mean about the engineering thing. This last experience I had whilst reading the book, I was sure I had learned or even discovered some intrinsic fact that could change everything. It was like something so simple that all those before me had overlooked.

Then gone.

The relatives put an interesting perspective on it though. Do you think it could be somehow religious in nature? Somehow related to an afterlife?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by fooffstarr]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   
I don't think it is religious, but I think that we have some type of governor on our brains or understanding of things while here in the physical plane/earth. How we are sometimes able to see out from behind the veil is unknown to me.

posted on Jun, 21 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
Like thinking about explaining something and really hitting your point home. Like thinking the answer is clear and important. Watch a child's eyes as they get many of these. They are often put out by doubt or you might just realize it was not so important. Others don't always go away and may bring something new.

A religious epiphany when you feel harmonized with existence could be like a drug. Always looking for that feeling when doubt has gone.

top topics

join