It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best gloves for keep warm and dry?

page: 1

join
share:
CX

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Hi all,

I'm actualy posting this mainly as a result of the days snowball fights with the kids
However i would also be interested to know about gloves for keeping warm and dry, whilst still being able to use your fingers properly.

Especially in colder climates, gloves are going to be a neccessary item. I'd rather not have several pairs, one for each factor (warmth or wet).

Is Gore-Tex the only way to go with this kind of thing? Is there such a thing as tight fitting warm and waterproof gloves that don't hinder finger movement?

I do have a pair of Gill watersport gloves, i actualy bought them to use when fishing by hand with the kids in the colder rivers. They are great for keeping you dry and warm, but they are like rubber/neoprene and are still a bit cumbersome.

Any suggestions? Or should i stop being a big girl and get used to the cold?

CX.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I've got some gardening gloves for when I play with my dog in the cold weather.

They're rubber on the palms and woolly on the back. They're not ideal but they keep my hands warm, dry and clean. (The stick gets a bit spitty and muddy- that's why I don't want completely woolly gloves).

Otherwise -be brave. Tis a far, far better thing and all that

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Look for some good ski gloves. You can get a really good pair for maybe $45. They keep out everything.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
My pair of Gortex Berghaus gloves are pretty good. They have an additional length over the wrist so even my gibbon-arms are protected.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   
After spending quite a bit on different mitts, I can attest to this.

The Canadian Tire mitts called Hot Paws are the cheapest and the warmest. Bulkier, but by far warmer than any of the other way more expensive mitts I've bought.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
sealskinz FTW
- for general use BUT - do not wring them out to get rid of exxcess water

for really wet / immersion - beaver dive gloves

however its all a trade off - between bulk , isulation and water resistance

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
These are hands down the best gloves i have ever used.
They are warm and will keep your hands dry.
www.clamcorp.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Cheapo little cotton gloves inside of a mitten have always worked better than any expensive ski-types for me and my friends, or even just the cotton ones by themselves if you keep your fingers away from the air/wind and close to your body.

You can get cheap leather mittens from most hardware/outdoors stores. They don't breath as well as other fabrics, but they'll keep water out better, and the little cotton gloves help with the sweat.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by alaskan]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I use Kona cycling gloves most of the year, Ineed the flexibility to use a knive/ gun/ binos / climbing rope etc with a gloved hand

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Get a pair of elk skin gloves lined with thinsulate. My wife bought me a pair for Christmas. They're warm but not bulky. You can't beat them for the money.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Sharpshooter Pop-Top Gloves. Best of both worlds. Its a mitten which as we all know is warmer then a glove. Pull the top back and its a glove. been using these for years. I use to buy a few pair a year for the family and I. Then my wife worked weekends at a retirement village and we adopted one of the residents. now she knits them for us. givers her something to do and we love them.

new topics

top topics

join