It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 billion (thats right) dollar destroyer!!!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Retseh

it does exactly what is asked of it and more - its not multi mission, its an air defence ship.

it has first tranche of PAMS , within a few years it`ll have the replacement , with 192 missiles per ship/

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
Important issue to take from ths is that they need to this respond to Chinese tech...

...That will be present when the majority of these ships would enter service, in the 2015-2020 time frame.

Originally posted by audas
...in otherwords what you have now aint gonna cope.

No.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Harlequin

That will indeed be a lot more impressive, but I still don't personally like dedicated platforms.

Look what happened to you in the Falklands, you needed anti-air warfare ships and all you had was a fleet of frigates and destroyers primarily tasked with anti-submarine warfare as part of Britain's NATO role in policing the Iceland gap for soviet boomers.

That mistake cost you a lot of good men and ships. I'll never forget the sight of seeing soldiers tying GPMGs to ships railings to try and boost the weak anti-air component of the ships.

Flexibility is key, the Zumwalt or whatever takes its place when and if it gets the chop will need to have it.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh

Originally posted by Fang
The Type 45 Daring Class is a nice hull. Modular construction would allow it to be adapted to USN needs. A fully kitted out 45 has a price tag of some £560 million.

We need something superior to an Arleigh Burke not inferior.

The Type 45 doesn't have a solid state radar (mechanically scanned) its VLS cells are air defence only, no VLS Harpoons or ASROCs, plus it only has 48 cells as opposed to the Burke's 90 cells, it lacks mission flexibility.

It would be a major retrograde step.

I was only talking about the hull. What you put in it would be down to USN requirements. It is very adaptable and it's modular design would allow it to be stretched. Sampson by the way is a very impressive radar.

posted on Feb, 13 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
It could cost 600 billiosn wont make a difference, it's just numbers going to different bank accounts, they dont even need to print the amount they are spending.
What bothers me is that they cant be bothered to do the same for education, healthcare and infrastructure.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join