It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wreck of Warship Is Found in English Channel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Wreck of Warship Is Found in English Channel

www.nytimes.com

Sea explorers probing the depths of the English Channel have discovered what they say is a legendary British warship that sank in a fierce storm in 1744 with the loss of more than 900 men and possibly four tons of gold coins valued at $1 billion.

An underwater photo of a bronze cannon on the shipwreck, which bears the royal crest of King George I.

The team found the wreckage of the HMS Victory last year and confirmed its identity through a close examination of 41 bronze cannons visible on the sandy bottom, Greg Stemm, head of the discovery team, said at a news conference Monday in London.

The team lifted two of the cannons from the seabed and gave them to the British Ministry of Defense, he said. The team’s leaders are now negotiating with British authorities on the disposition of the artifacts and treasure before the divers attempt further recoveries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
HMS Victory found. This is an amazing discovery and finally solves the mystery of it's fate. Among the treasure on board is believed to be 4 tons of gold coins, plus the legendary bronze cannons.

The Victory was armed with up to 110 bronze cannons, making it one of the deadliest vessels of the age. The largest cannon weighed four tons and could fire cannonballs of 42 pounds — the most powerful gun then used in naval warfare.

Simply awesome.

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:09 PM
link   
I could swear I've visited the HMS Victory severial times as a kid!!

Maybe that is another one?

edit: yes here!

[edit on 2/2/2009 by Now_Then]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Strange. That one must be on one of Titor's alternate timelines. Yeah, that's it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

No. There are many ships named Victory. This is the one found in the article.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by TheComte]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Man if it were me finding this there would be no negotiating with England for the gold.
"Y'all can have the cannons back, but the gold is mine ye land lubbers! YAR! Now we be off to Tortuga with this booty!"

top topics

join