It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Shocking' video shows cops grabbing cash during raid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

'Shocking' video shows cops grabbing cash during raid

rawstory.com

The New York City Police Department has launched an internal probe to investigate a raid on a Staten Island bar. In a video posted on YouTube, police officers wearing jackets decorated with the NYPD logo can be seen smashing gambling machines at the "Beer Goggles" bar and putting confiscated cash into their pockets.

"A shocking video showing NYPD cops raiding a bar, smashing gambling machines and shoving confiscated cash into their pockets has become an Internet hit and led to an internal probe of the officers involved," The New York Post reports.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
LOL

This type of behavior should go well with their issuance of AR-15's to "fight terrorists".

Just when I think I've seen and heard it all, in comes a new jaw-dropper by our nation's finest. heh

I'm sure there will be a good excuse behind this one. Maybe the slots were "holding drug money" that they needed for evidence? AAAHAHAHA

NYPD has turned into an absolute cess pool.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

They've been a cess pool since the early 80s.
I have the up most respect for the truthful police, but there seem to be very few of them.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

ok DD, now that TOTALLY looks like the movie 'Training Day'!!!! WOW! That just really blows me away how blatant they are, but, i'm not shocked.

messages in movies

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

What's with this?

The following video is the original video as it was posted YouTube, broadcast Dec. 19, 2009.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Here's an article from the NY Post.

www.nypost.com...

I think it is disgusting how they tried to charge these guys, yet pocket off it as well. They should be investigated, tried, and stripped of any benefits. they are a big disgrace to society.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Indeed. Makes one wonder how many times something like this may have happened and they got away with it. If it weren't for the footage, they certainly would have. Same with the Oscar Grant case. Video footage is the ultimate truth teller--It doesn't take sides.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I think they knew thier was money in thier...the gambling machines, so they organized an unnoficial raid...telling the judge oh look your honor, we saw tehm dealing drugs, or someting, an excuse to get in legaly, then went after the machines....they prob ere so greedy, they didnt pay attention to the camera. And of course, now that theyve conducted a raid, people must be arrested, to justify the raid.
A woman i usd to talk too online, wored in clergy ro clerks office for Brooklyn courts, and according to her, its sad, every year how many innocent people go to jail, while the guilty ones are still out their...the prosicutors are the worst, next to bad judge with an unruly attitude.
I highly doubt the sate, DA is going to do a thorough investigation at all, afterall, its whats on paper that looks good, not what was done, jsut as business is. Sad, but the truth the police are NOT thier to prtect you, thier thier, to steal yuor personal belongings, harras you, and make thir stupid meaningless quotas, nothing less or more.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Here's the direct imbed for easy viewing. Pretty pathetic watching this thug go to work on the machines with a sledge hammer. I wonder just how many of these guys were involved with this robbery, I mean "raid"? lol

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
OMG, I just found ANOTHER clip showing another cop doing the same thing during one of these "gambling raids" on a convenience store! W-T-H is going on here? I know this is nothing new, but there sure does seem to be a lot more of these guys getting CAUGHT doing it in recent times! This is NUTS...

Funniest part about this one is this guy thought he had disabled the feed, but didn't happen to notice a back-up hard drive was still recording what he was doing. UH-OH, whoops! lol

[edit on 2-2-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
More and more police departments are being seen for what they are lately. Just think a couple years ago anyone who even suggested that a law enforcement officer would partake in anything of this nature would be looked down upon.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I do not think there is a Cop or Judge in NY that I would trust at this time.

This is just going to get worse till people say no more!

And it is sad because there are Good cop's trying to do what is right, but are fighting an up hill battle. They can't say anything about what is up or lose there jobs or worse.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Has it occured to anyone that these cops are simply putting that money in their pockets because they have no where else to put it? I mean think about this a minute..these cops, if their intent was to steal money, know darn well they will be video taped by the security cameras. So why didnt they cover the cameras or retrieve the video to cover their tracks????

Pretty straight forward thinking here. And cops always rely on security cameras and video to capture crooks.

More sensationalism IMO. Im willing to bet that the probe will find nothing was stolen or kept, and that the money was turned in once those cops got back to their stations.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Has it occured to anyone that these cops are simply putting that money in their pockets because they have no where else to put it?

Isn't that called contaminating the evidence and being unprepared?

I did think about it but even cops know after the OJ case that handling evidence properly is everything.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
reply to post by RFBurns

Has it occured to anyone that these cops are simply putting that money in their pockets because they have no where else to put it?

Isn't that called contaminating the evidence and being unprepared?

I did think about it but even cops know after the OJ case that handling evidence properly is everything.

We dont know the case and we dont know that those cops were collecting the evidence per their supervisor's instructions. Its not a murder case, its a raid on gambling establishments. That is the difference. Evidence at a murder scene is never touched by any cops until the CSI people and coroner have investigated, and only the coroner can authorize moving of the evidence.

Again this is raids on gambling places.. no different from a raid on a drug house where after those involved are arrested, the cops then proceed to collect evidence.

See it for what it is, not for what sensationalism can be picked out of it.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
LOL! This is new news how btw? How many drug busts have gone down were the cops pocket as much as they like, then bag the little thats left as evidence (drugs and money). How many search warrants have been carried out and property siezed, never to be returned to the owner cos some scum cop decided he needed a new laptop, lcd tv etc. Heck I have heard of stop and search cases in the UK where mobiles have been taken, under the claim that more than one phone is suspicious and linked to drug dealing... Where they got that one (probly out their backside after they saw a nice new phone to sell).

Cops have and always will be corrupt, the honest cops are few and far between, every cop abuses their power in some form or another, some less obvious, some blatantly obvious, like the OP story.

And to think, the UK (and most of the EU) will soon have a ban on all filming of police officers, anyone caught posting on youtube will be tracked down and prosecuted... All I can say is if police take the piss too much, they will eventually fall victim to gorilla insurgency from Brits, good luck in taking the piss when your affraid to even go on patrol you silly pigs rofl. Final note, if the police decide to counter attacks on their self with guns or tazers, it can be assured the demand for black market firearms will sky rocket, snowballing the issue untill every cop is armed, every criminal is armed and just about every other civilian is armed to protect against either sides of the war!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Saf85

That's a great, and quite relevant point about the outlawing of filming L.E.O.'s coming up here. What an absolute joke. Don't film us commiting crimes and violating our oaths, otherwise YOU will be the new criminal for documenting these atrocities.

Sickening.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Has it occured to anyone that these cops are simply putting that money in their pockets because they have no where else to put it? I mean think about this a minute..these cops, if their intent was to steal money, know darn well they will be video taped by the security cameras. So why didnt they cover the cameras or retrieve the video to cover their tracks????

Pretty straight forward thinking here. And cops always rely on security cameras and video to capture crooks.

More sensationalism IMO. Im willing to bet that the probe will find nothing was stolen or kept, and that the money was turned in once those cops got back to their stations.

Cheers!!!!

From the NY Post article: "Seconds later, another cop in a Yankee cap and a green hooded jacket enters. He takes the stack of bills, puts some of them into two of his pockets, then takes bills out of one of them and gives them back to the bald cop"

Doesn't sound like standard procedure to me.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Leto]

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
NYPD has been having internal problems for a long time though too..

Things Go Seriously Wrong: Police Issue Report On Harlem Raid, Lemrick Nelson Gets Off Lightly, Murder Is Up Again. Also: Police Spying

As if to drive even conservative and/or police-friendly New Yorkers into the arms of the New York Civil Liberties Union on the issue of police spying, the NYPD has been asking political protestors such potent questions as "What kind of political sentiments do you hold?" and "What political organizations do you belong to?" as well as "Don't you think it was necessary for us to get involved in World War II?"

In hearings before federal judge Charles Haight in Manhattan, civil liberties groups are asking that the 3-month-old modification to the Handschu Agreement, which since 1985 had restricted police spying, be modified again to forbid such NYPD questioning. Judge Haight was unhappy with the police, saying, "I find this most recent activity troubling." The NYCLU is hopeful that the NYPD's overstepping will encourage Judge Haight to reconsider his February expansion of NYPD surveillance powers.

I did find a little more on this particular surveillance video too though..

From the prison planet article on this story..
‘Shocking’ video shows cops grabbing cash during raid

An NBC News blog adds, “The surveillance tape popped up on YouTube under the headline ‘NYPD corruption at its best.’ The video was first screened at a separate departmental trial for Sgt. William Lewis. Many of the police actions were led by Lewis, a 24-year veteran.”

“The Internal Affairs Bureau investigated Lewis for five months before suspending him and leveling corruption charges in March,” the blog continues. “Several cops from the raiding party testified against him. No decision has yet been reached.”

-ChriS

top topics

join