It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are computers hiding the answers?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
EE student here:

Far as I can tell, what happened is a combination of the number of varieties of individual parts sold and number of manufacturers have gone up, along with the complexity of the circuits used in modern devices, while the amount of education and general interest in the subject has gone far down.

There's no profit for radio shack in stocking any but the absolute barest circuit components (their selection for integrated circuits is pretty much just DIP IC555s and 741), and electronics magazines are definite specialty products. You can still get catalogs, but, with the death of practical education in high schools, nobody publishes periodicals with schematics for simple but useful projects for beginners and people of intermediate skill.

From what I've seen almost nobody WANTS to know what's going on in their electronics, let alone actually knows.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by mdiinican

hi there, thanks for the heads up on current affairs, yes its tragic that this is the way teaching has gone.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I missed this thread!

I studied and worked in electronics when I left school at the time it was starting to change.

I am sure if there is a conspiracy or not, but looking understanding principles, how many people here could make a working steam engine?
Is it just part of the general dumbing down of the population.
People doing jobs, but not understanding why/what they are doing.

I think most factors are speed and cost

1. You can use the same circuit board for different uses just by having different programs.
2. Changes can be made afterwards by reprogramming, remember changes to PCB's by cutting tracks and soldering link wires.
3. You have a monopoly of parts
4. The technology is hidden so people cant copy what you have done.
5. Circuit boards are smaller and cheaper to make

new topics

<< 1   >>

join