It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dire Warning from Intl. Study - Oceans Dying at Much Faster Rate than Supposed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   
However you feel about global warming, there is no denying that CO2 is causing the acidity of our oceans to increase. Yet another international panel, this one comprised of 155 scientists from 26 countries, has sounded the alarm about rising acidity in the world oceans.

The latest projection is that the vast majority of the worlds coral reefs will be dead by 2050, and the coral are not the only first-line marine life to be impacted; researchers are already able to detect a significant decline in the amount and weight of shellfish.

Carbon dioxide, principally from the burning of fossil fuels, is the major component of greenhouse gas emissions, which have risen steadily since the beginning of the Industrial Revolution in the 18th century.

Oceans absorb about a quarter of carbon dioxide emissions, the group said, but as the gas dissolves in the oceans it produces carbonic acid.

The group says acidity of ocean surface waters has increased by 30 percent since the 17th century.

“The chemistry is so fundamental and changes so rapid and severe that impacts on organisms appear unavoidable,” according to James Orr, who headed the symposium’s scientific committee.

From a brief NYT's article.

A PDF of another recent study

Anybody want to deny this? Or can we all agree that elevated CO2 production is destroying the oceans?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:40 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ConservativeJack

When the CO2 level rises high enough.. all living things in the ocean would die.

No need to dry it up.. not much of a laughing matter now is it?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by TwiTcHomatic

When the CO2 level rises high enough.. all living things in the ocean would die.

No need to dry it up.. not much of a laughing matter now is it?

c02 levels rise high enough?

could u get any broader

well, once all the CO2 level GETS HIGH enough, the oceans will blow up.

LMFAO
1!!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

CO2 influences the PH level of water, the more Co2 the lower the PH level.

Most fishes support PH levels between 6 and 8.5, adding CO2 constantly at larger quantities will make the PH level drop to dangerous levels and make it too acid, which will kill the fishes.

This is no joke, it can be serious.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt
However you feel about global warming, there is no denying that CO2 is causing the acidity of our oceans to increase. Yet another international panel, this one comprised of 155 scientists from 26 countries, has sounded the alarm about rising acidity in the world oceans.

What your talking about here is a natural effect and given that we humans account for virtually zero of the omissions (Fact) then all your 'war on humans' panel (more willing, lets make work scientists?) will do, is waste time effort and our money to comment on something that we have no control over but they will manage to extract fear and taxes from us sheeple.

My view is simple the earth has a far better record of looking after its self and at zero money cost!

Nothing to see here folks just keep moving..........

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

I am puzzled by the furious and insulting tone of your and mylmjid posts. I am assuming you both sort of can read, since you can both sort of write. What part of this is difficult to understand? Since the Industrial Age began the ocean's acidity has increased by 30%. Period. Full stop. No one from any side of the GW debate is questioning the data because it is factual.

Would you like to share your data that shows that CO2 levels are not rising in the worlds oceans and how it does not coincide with the Industrial Age? I would appreciate seeing what I anticipate to be some pretty contorted logic, but am open to being swayed.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Hi there
I posted on this a couple of weeks ago.
But I think the dying ocean's are caused by increasing UV levels.
Have you looked at the Australian UV index lately? The whole continent is in extreme. 11+ being extreme, mostly it is 16+.
I think that as the UV increases it is killing the food chain from the bottom up.
Also honeybees are dependent on UV light for navigation. I believe this is causing their disappearance. As you no doubt already know they are not dying, but rather are unable to find their way back to the hive.

I also believe that this is the reason for chem trails.
If you have looked in to the analysis of chem trails you will find that they have a very large amount of Barium. I believe this is to diffuse the harmful UV light

This is a link to what I was talking about
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Please feel free to add to this your opinions and thoughts

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

I am puzzled by the furious and insulting tone of your and mylmjid posts. I am assuming you both sort of can read, since you can both sort of write. What part of this is difficult to understand? Since the Industrial Age began the ocean's acidity has increased by 30%. Period. Full stop. No one from any side of the GW debate is questioning the data because it is factual.

Would you like to share your data that shows that CO2 levels are not rising in the worlds oceans and how it does not coincide with the Industrial Age? I would appreciate seeing what I anticipate to be some pretty contorted logic, but am open to being swayed.

I think the argument being made against, is the fact that "yes co2 levels are on the rise." However this is an effect of global warming. Perhaps not the cause.
There is evidence to suggest that past rises in co2 levels coincide with past global warming.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
QUICK! TO THE COW FIELDS!!!!

Or, even better!! lets cut down the tree's that change CO2 into Oxygen to create fuel!! Oh, lets get them from poor countries so we dont hardly have to pay anything!

If this was due to humans, i dont think the whole bio-fuel idea would of gone through, it was stupid enough any who without the whole man made global warming fiasco.

If you believe that it is man made and want to kill the main "cause" that the theory suggests, i suggest you dig deep into a heavy diet of burgers and shoot cows as a living

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Trolloks]

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Trolloks]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Phytoplankton in the oceans produce most of the oxygen that we breath.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by foremanator

I think the argument being made against, is the fact that "yes co2 levels are on the rise." However this is an effect of global warming. Perhaps not the cause.
There is evidence to suggest that past rises in co2 levels coincide with past global warming.

Thanks for your thoughtful post formanator.

While I get the basic 'humans don't impact GW' argument, I am always puzzled by the vehmence that camp deploys their 'argument' with and how, at least in this case, they keep choosing not to back it up with scientific data.

Regardless, would it not behoove us, as a species, to reduce or CO2 emissions when we can clearly see what the impact of CO2 has on the oceans. Or to consider smog, which is unequviocally caused by human impact, that is damgaging not only the oceans, but is, in the below exampled intstance, threatening the water supply for two billion people.

"It appeared as if the whole Indian subcontinent was surrounded by a mountain of pollution," agreed Ramanathan. "At times, we couldn't even see the low clouds because the haze layer was so thick."

The haze is caused by high concentrations of small particles known as aerosols that are usually less than a few micrometers in diameter. Comprised primarily of soot, sulfates, nitrates, organic particles, fly ash and mineral dust, the particles often reduced visibility over the open ocean to less than 10 kilometers, a range typically found near polluted regions of the United States and Europe.

"If you cut the amount of sunlight going into the ocean, you will also impact the amount of moisture evaporating from the sea surface either regionally or globally and, consequently, the amount of rainfall that will be generated," Ramanathan said. "So the entire hydrological cycle is being perturbed."

A reduction in the amount of sunlight reaching the ocean surface can also have a detrimental effect on plant life that depends on photosynthesis, including plankton, which provides a key link in the marine food chain.

There it is, right there. We need to cut back on our environmental impact, at least, and for sure, our particulate pollution or else... How can this be a 'debate'?

EDIT TO: Add LINK

LATER EDIT(s): to amend distracted 'typos' from earlier in the day...

[edit on 2-2-2009 by TheWayISeeIt]

new topics

top topics

join