It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The attention game

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman

affection, love, respect and admiration all seem to be swept up together and called attention, which seems to me to be over simple. i find this idea dubious too.

Ah...I understand now. I didnt quite "get" what you meant in your first post.
And I understand the problem with putting it all in one pot. I couldnt disagree that giving someone love and attention are wonderful things (if pure of underlying motives).

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by The 5th

Funny thing is, once you decide you don't need or care for other peoples attention, you come across it more and more. Once you do not become needy for this type of emotional feed, it's like you go against the grain of the common individual...which warrants attention? Have a think.

Strange but true.

Even stranger is that not-caring-about attention then perhaps becomes a ploy to garner attention...

It was fun reading your examples. If you have anymore, do share.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by TheInfamousOne

Have you ever tried to be aware of your own thoughts and what drives the mind to move?

yes.

So, you are more concerned then with someone trying to control you by conditioning.

No one can control you once you've become aware of what is, because "What Is' is the society we've created. You are the world and the world is you.

Understand your own mind first and nothing can control you. Once this is learned, it's your responsibility to let other know as you are doing now.

I hope you're understanding what I am trying to covey. Let's talk about this some more so we are discovering things together.

Im no longer personally concerned with being controlled. Its more a matter of observing society and noticing in which ways it lets itself be controlled.

Can you elaborate in your own words your observation of what makes you concerned with others being controlled or not aware? How does this affect you? What emotions drives your frustration? Do you submit to a new ideology of not being controlled? How do you view the world you want to live in?

By doing nothing about it, are you letting society be controlled? You can observe it being controlled, but what is one to do?

The significance of education and life is what will drive us away from dependency and become more Independence on ourselves.

Eventually, government will no longer be needed. Government does not save people, technology does.

It's a fallacy to think Government can protect us and fix things. They never have.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

This is true, a rather sneaky tactic indeed. I guess if you truly do not care, the reward is attention, but how could it be a reward if you don't care for it in the first place. Perhaps a little to easy to over think this

Do i look (insert aesthetically pleasing or diss-pleasing look) in this? The ol' classic. Instant attention, and you are usally going to ask someone you are close to, another ego boost, confidence boost, self-assurance.

Could we try and and look at attention in certain categories, and focus on these, and move on to more? Attention is a very broad word and has a vast variety of meanings.

We could round it up in groups, and if anyone would rather change, disregard one of them, then im happy to rectify and discuss.

We know that attention is an effective means to control a person or a large scale amount of people. Im offering that people need attention for:-

Confidence
Ego
Social Order, i.e social status, peoples roles etc.

These points would be good for now, sorry to divert the thread but does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Very good post and quite observant. I personally think it is necessary for a child to have attention as they are a child. Some will seek negative attention in the place of positive as you have stated just to have it. In my mind the real question is why. Why do we need attention?

Is it because we have a lack of self confidence in ourselves so we seek outer acceptance to fill that void? Being one with ourselves and knowing what we are capable of fills the void and allows us to live without attention and being recognized. Acceptance from others in a sense is the way we cope with how we don't accept ourselves in specific and certain areas.

And marketing as attention is a new approach for me but it does make sense. The amount of traffic, sales and leads that one corporation may get makes them more profitable and from there more stable. The more attention they receive in any way makes them more popular and makes them more money.

Simply stated the reason we seek acceptance is because we do not accept our self.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I became very interested in that topic of approval and permission seeking, neediness, etc while I was studying male and female sexual attraction.

Seems that most people (sheeple) are followers.

If It's true that we were hunter-gathers and lived in small tribes, about 40,000 years ago, we evolved and still got that characteristic: the need to belong to a group!

It's ironic that people like Donald Trump are not seeking approval. AT ALL. On the contrary, he is the one that gives approval. Coincidence?

We 'ping' each other to construct a social reality.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
It seems as-if to myself that many people are raising themselves higher than others and than expect others to be their peers or part of their following and worshipping clique. The 'lifers' here may mention and or rant? about how the quaility of people here has deminished and write about the 'good old days'. I sympathize with anyone who tries to maintain a site like this for the honorable mission we like to call the truth.

The truth is stranger than fiction and there are many strange ways it's told here.

Attention seekers or just people who desperately want to draw attention to their version of the truth. It seems to myself that there's some level of psychotherapy going on here that a typical therapist doesn't usually deliver:.......... "I'm sorry, but our time is up"

Should I really copy and paste my posts and give them to my therapist?

I don't like being told what to do and I now remember the voices. I don't hear the voices here though.
(as much)

Attention seekers or attention Masters? Some here seem to have many awards, but they're not my hero.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Harman

Agreed, this is a good post as it is a topic of extreme interest and one that could potentially free us if we truly understood its meaning and importance. People en mass are grabbed with theatrics and our attention is tweaked and manipulated with such effects. The media controls peoples attention. I remember as a child trying to interrupt my dad while he was watching the news. Needless to say that was a big no-no as I could be yelled at. The media leads our attention and too many times have I heard the saying "if it bleeds it leads".

I grow weary with the amount of friends and people I know with such a short attention span. They cannot read a book. They cannot watch a movie that doesn't constantly have shooting, special effects, sex and theatrics. Theatrics is a extremely powerful tool in brainwash.

If we could sway our attention to something more important and something that requires in depth thinking we would not all be in the sad state the world exists in. We would not be worried about trivial things and let them completely affect the way we react to others. This is a very good post and has got the cogs turning.

S&F!

[edit on 2-2-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by peacejet

there are a lot of skills related to attention -focus, -withdrawal-,steering-, that could

a) empower a person
b) make him immune to brainwashing
c) allow him to prioritize and be more self-determined

These cannot be taught in a school like math and physics, it depends on the personality, the environment in which the person has grown up, and education to a good level(by this, I meant the general knowledge & IQ), and people with more IQ have all these characters by nature.

Hello, I know it's a little late, as in the comment is back on the first page of comments. However, I have a specific reply to this specific idea.
I think that a persons IQ, or mental cognitive power, can be increased by learning these things. I think that is what could be referred to as somebody having his or her mind opened.
So I disagree, I believe these skills can be taught and that it would be beneficial to the student in a number of ways.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I think two factors have a lot of influence on our attention span the most important being our ability to listen and the other being the massive amount of trivial knowledge that has bogged down our minds.

Listening is a lost art. We spend way too much time trying to sieve through all that information that we have stored away to come up with the perfect response that we don’t give adequate time to listening to what the other is actually saying.

Ooops! I did it again.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheInfamousOne
Can you elaborate in your own words your observation of what makes you concerned with others being controlled or not aware? How does this affect you? What emotions drives your frustration? Do you submit to a new ideology of not being controlled? How do you view the world you want to live in?

Are you a therapist or something?

How do I view the world I want to live in...diverse. Which it already is.

It is in fact so diverse that I could invest attention into trillions of things. Its my choice. I need not invest it into the narrow margin offered by conventionalism.

As for the other questions...since Im not frustrated or in great concern, I cant answer them.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by The 5th

Could we try and and look at attention in certain categories, and focus on these, and move on to more?

I could offer up other uses and abuses of attention, I guess. Just a few:

Attention-span is crictical in learning.
Attention-stuck is the cause of obsession
Attention-overwhelm and one goes blank
Attention on beauty changes ones emotional state

Im offering that people need attention for:-

Confidence
Ego
Social Order, i.e social status, peoples roles etc.

and in order to sell something
and in order to pass on information

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn

I think two factors have a lot of influence on our attention span the most important being our ability to listen and the other being the massive amount of trivial knowledge that has bogged down our minds.

Listening is a lost art. We spend way too much time trying to sieve through all that information that we have stored away to come up with the perfect response that we don’t give adequate time to listening to what the other is actually saying.

I think you make an important point. The way we use the Internet is not exactly beneficial to a high attention-span.

Does anybody actually really listen anymore? When Person X is talking to Person Y...is Person Ys attention at listening or at what he is going to respond?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

Indeed...the duller ones senses, the more "action" one needs to feel anything anymore...the more stuff is needed to "grab ones attention".

Remember how fantastic those action movies...or even just a picture of the preferred sex, fully dressed, was when we were much younger?

Its odd how, through overexposure, we seem to need more and more before we get interested or excited.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Have you noticed how some therapists succeed not because of their methods or approaches or credentials, but simply because they are willing to give people their undivided attention?

I sure have.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by infobrazil

I just noticed that Maslows level "Esteem needs" corresponds to the "Attention needs" we are discussing here.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Psychotherpy tactics are another form of disinformation and distraction. I've also known others who've been through some of my experiences who've been brainwashed or chemically lobotomized with antipsychotics. Labeling people as-if having a self induced psychosis just to white wash the truth? At some point, a person has to deal with the truth in order to be a survivor. Having some therapist dictate the rules is just more lies.

I've had better therapy here than in some office paying someone tell me what I should talk about. I guess there are those who are also masters at distraction: "Love thy therapist"

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I could offer up other uses and abuses of attention, I guess. Just a few:

Attention-span is crictical in learning.
Attention-stuck is the cause of obsession
Attention-overwhelm and one goes blank
Attention on beauty changes ones emotional state

-

These are good categories to ponder
, not all mutually exclusive though. All stems to thoughts and emotions, which we should all try to master.

For example:-

Attention-overwhelm can also cause someone to break down, causing an emotional state. This could transistion to attention-stuck, leading to an obsession, throwing out of balance the attention span.

Peace

[edit on 2-2-2009 by The 5th] - Would of quoted what you said, but seem to be having trouble with it.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by The 5th]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   
A beautiful post and much needed. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Peace and Blessings to you Skyfloating.

[edit on 2/2/2009 by toochaos4u]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

It wasnt what I was referring too...
...but I very much get what you mean.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join