It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The attention game

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

For sure. The love of art (rather than seeking attention) will make the art so good that it will naturally get attention, without having to hustle too much for it.

Standing-out in a crowd does not mean someone is an attention-seeker.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

We become, for lack of a better defintion, that upon which we focus our energy and attention. No wonder then, that society encourages us to focus atention on the superficials--looks, wealth, power-- instead of that which has been historically shown to bring long term happiness--unconditional love and acceptance of others, truth and wisdom. To butcher an old adage, "Wherever you think, you are."

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Two common techniques to manipulate for gaining attention:

Love Withdrawal

"Dont call her after the first date. Wait for three days"

Mystery Man

"Keep em guessing so that they watch the next show"

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
reply to post by h5mind

focusing on appearance, as i already mentioned is not exactly superficial. it's a way of expressing yourself artistically. you can beautify your environment in this fashion. make it more relaxing or more interesting. it makes people think. it inspires. so i am going to disagree with the idea that it is purely superficial.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by undo

Yes. But it is pleasant to ones attention and does attract attention.

There's not necessarily a negative label on doing so...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Being genuinely confident tends to make one the center of attention, but it has been my experience that it also tends to put one in the center of other peoples 'needs', as in needing your approval. This can be 'fun' to be 'powerful' in that way, but it can also be a burden and a drag because so much of ones energy goes towards addressing others superficial needs.

The flip side of the same coin -- confidence=attention -- is another portion of the needy group resenting you; so you have to spend a little energy deflecting their negativity, or really focus on them and commit to "loving-them-up" so they can feel good about themselves too.

One example of how attention is powerful, but as they say .... "with power comes responsibility".

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

*sigh*...it is a drag...which motivated my self-employment with nobody below me and nobody above me. Sweet Relief.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Every time I look through the recent-post-lists here I find it amusing how the games we accuse "The Powers That Be" of, we use ourselves...

Just a superificial browse through the titles reveals manipulation to the max.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The media is definetly responsible for the crime rates in this country.... as the more we see crime being displayed we create this in our reality collectively... I suggest you take a look at the secret as it shows how the law of attraction works.. The media not only creates more of what it reports. they also create false realities...it is a cesspool of lies and circus acts.. I myself have stopped reading, watching the MSM and have instead gone towards citizen generated news instead....Such as ATS.. I find more truth in these forums in 1 day then I would find in a whole year on the msm networks.. I say down with the MSM!!!!!! stop watching it!!! tell all your freinds and family to stop wathching it... and if you find out one of your favorite products are being displayed durning a msm broadcast... call them and tell them you intend to boycott it !!! money is power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
i think the idea behind this thread is dubious.

everyone needs attention, we all need to be recognised as being important. this is part of being a social animal. of course it is hard to give someone else this power over us but we have to do it to feel fulfilled.

the problem doesn't come from having this need, the problem comes from getting this fulfillment in an unhealthy way. the problem comes from needing everyone to recognise us.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
No kidding. There are criminals who thrive on the media-attention they get. Their acts would become pointless if we stopped caring. Im not saying its this way with all criminals...but some.

You are absolutely right. Just think how much sooner O.J. would have been behind bars if he weren't fawned over by the media. He actually believed the celebrity status he attained would protect him from continually elevating levels of criminality.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by thefreepatriot
it is a cesspool of lies and circus acts.. I myself have stopped reading, watching the MSM and have instead gone towards citizen generated news instead....Such as ATS.. I find more truth in these forums in 1 day then I would find in a whole year on the msm networks.. I say down with the MSM!

I gave up on msm-news 7 years ago. Today Im happy.

(Since everyone starts talking about whatever msm serves, you dont miss it anyway...even if you move to a remote island)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
What has caught your attention to this matter? Have you begun to even look at yourself to understand this question? Have you paid attention to your mind and how it works? What is it that you're seeking?

You've seem to point out one small problem that plagues the society that we all live in and we all are responsible for creating.

Do you know the difference between attention and concentration? It's when we concentrate on a problem is when we stop paying attention.

You're proposing that if you look up into the air as an experiment to watch people look up as well and how we are all so easily distracted by anything.

First, there is no such thing as "Distraction", but only the mind paying attention to it's surrounding. What if the person does not look up or was not aware of you looking up into the sky, would that conflict on with your discussion of not paying attention?

I believe you're referring to is the lose of true intelligence. And how we are all conditioned everyday, directly or indirectly. You are conditioned by what you have accumulated in knowledge. Anything that has a memory is conditioned, we eat, drink, drive to work etc. We make comparisons everyday which leads to conflict. e.g. , this is better than that, this is right and this is wrong.

To free the mind of all conditioning requires us to be aware of how our mind works, consciously and unconsciously and is a profound topic.

Then, the revolution will begin.

These are not my words, but one of the greatest philosophers in the past century died in 1986 and his name was J.Krishnamurti.

As One Is: To Free The Mind of All Conditioning

Pick up this book and it will change the way you look at yourself and the world.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

[edit on 2/2/2009 by TheInfamousOne]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by peacejet

Originally posted by Skyfloating
reply to post by peacejet

there are a lot of skills related to attention -focus, -withdrawal-,steering-, that could

a) empower a person
b) make him immune to brainwashing
c) allow him to prioritize and be more self-determined

These cannot be taught in a school like math and physics, it depends on the personality, the environment in which the person has grown up, and education to a good level(by this, I meant the general knowledge & IQ), and people with more IQ have all these characters by nature.

Yes they could be taught in school if the school systems allowed them to be taught , and more importantly if our goverment approved of it's teaching.

They don't allow us to be taught these things in highschool, we are FORCED to learn about a few various subjects . None of these have anything to do with the above mentioned, except for maybe a lil bit of psychology.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
i think the idea behind this thread is dubious.

The idea is to discuss the subject of attention which I think does not receive enough airtime.

the problem doesn't come from having this need, the problem comes from getting this fulfillment in an unhealthy way. the problem comes from needing everyone to recognise us.

My sentiment exactly.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheInfamousOne
What is it that you're seeking?

Nothing. Just making discussion.

Do you know the difference between attention and concentration? It's when we concentrate on a problem is when we stop paying attention.

Interesting statement. Please elaborate.

First, there is no such thing as "Distraction", but only the mind paying attention to it's surrounding. What if the person does not look up or was not aware of you looking up into the sky, would that conflict on with your discussion of not paying attention?

I agree that paying attention to ones surroundings compells us to look up.

But this can also be used to control others.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Paying Attention vs Concentration.

Have you ever just sat and listened to someone speak without interruption. I don't mean interrupting the speaker. I mean, listening to them speak and keeping your mind completely still? Because, the minute you hear someone say something or make a statement, your mind begins to compare from what was said and what you have accumulated in your knowledge from your past.

The minute you start comparing is when you mind is in motion and is no longer sitting still. This turns into concentration because now you either half listing or feel conflicted in what is being said, therefore, you're no longer listening. Because your thoughts take over while the person is still speaking, then you miss half of what they've said.

Have you ever tried to be aware of your own thoughts and what drives the mind to move?

So, you are more concerned then with someone trying to control you by conditioning.

No one can control you once you've become aware of what is, because "What Is' is the society we've created. You are the world and the world is you.

Understand your own mind first and nothing can control you. Once this is learned, it's your responsibility to let other know as you are doing now.

I hope you're understanding what I am trying to covey. Let's talk about this some more so we are discovering things together.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheInfamousOne

Paying Attention vs Concentration.

Have you ever just sat and listened to someone speak without interruption. I don't mean interrupting the speaker. I mean, listening to them speak and keeping your mind completely still? Because, the minute you hear someone say something or make a statement, your mind begins to compare from what was said and what you have accumulated in your knowledge from your past.

The minute you start comparing is when you mind is in motion and is no longer sitting still. This turns into concentration because now you either half listing or feel conflicted in what is being said, therefore, you're no longer listening. Because your thoughts take over while the person is still speaking, then you miss half of what they've said.

Clutching/StrongFocus vs. Openness, yes?

Have you ever tried to be aware of your own thoughts and what drives the mind to move?

yes.

So, you are more concerned then with someone trying to control you by conditioning.

No one can control you once you've become aware of what is, because "What Is' is the society we've created. You are the world and the world is you.

Understand your own mind first and nothing can control you. Once this is learned, it's your responsibility to let other know as you are doing now.

I hope you're understanding what I am trying to covey. Let's talk about this some more so we are discovering things together.

Im no longer personally concerned with being controlled. Its more a matter of observing society and noticing in which ways it lets itself be controlled.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Good post Sky, your spot on with this. Il give it a star and flag to bring it to peoples attention just for good measure

As someone who studied the social arts, this topic of thought often croped up, and plays a big part in everyones daily lives, if they know it or not.

Funny thing is, once you decide you don't need or care for other peoples attention, you come across it more and more. Once you do not become needy for this type of emotional feed, it's like you go against the grain of the common individual...which warrants attention? Have a think.

While attention is good now and then, given when deserved, what is it all about anyway? You should not perform a task, say, act, do something for other peoples attention. When looked at, it is almost a simple tool, to feed/boost/ ignite the ego, which is something that holds many back, and needs to be let go.

A couple examples of different attention spring to mind:-

Can anyone remember when they were younger/currently go to a club or bar? You will always spot a group of people having a good time, laughing, making merry. These are always the people that stand out from the rest of the croud. They don't need anyones attention, they are satisfied with themselves, and are not in need of other peoples thoughts and attention. They are the non-reactive crowd, who would not turn around if they heard a balloon pop, or saw something happen etc. Whilst the rest look, like a synchronized bunch, giving their attention, the group carry on. When the occasion finishes, everyone else notices them. Giving them more attention. Almost like the groups reality is stronger than what everyone elses is, or the current environment their in. The principles are similar to either looking or not looking up, when everyone else is.

Bare with me, im horrible at explaining things, hopefully you could extract the vague points i was making in the above text.

The next is something that you may have read about. To cut the story short, many moons ago and still sometimes now, people were exiled and excluded from society, groups. Often regarded as the worst form of punishment. Putting any survival aspect aside, this was considered a horrendous act because humans are social creatures, and crave attention from others.

I apologise for the poor examples, or poorly worded examples, i can try again later if no one caught the drift.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

it's difficult to discuss attention without describing it, i got the idea from the OP that there is a bit of confusion between healthy human relationships and unhealthy relationships.

the use of affection as a tool to manipulate children is mentioned right off the bat and a suggestion is made that this is a tool for manipulation of adults. this idea that everyone is out to manipulate you is a dubious suggestion.

affection, love, respect and admiration all seem to be swept up together and called attention, which seems to me to be over simple. i find this idea dubious too.

sorry, i wasn't clear, i like the thread, it's a great topic and i thank you for bringing it up, it's just that i feel uncomfortable with some of the presumptions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join