It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

02/02/2008: British poll reveals public doubts over Charles Darwin's theory of evolution

page: 1

join
share:
sty

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

More than half of the public believe that the theory of evolution cannot explain the full complexity of life on Earth, and a "designer" must have lent a hand, the findings suggest.

And one in three believe that God created the world within the past 10,000 years.

and the source here:
link

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty

More than half of the public believe that the theory of evolution cannot explain the full complexity of life on Earth, and a "designer" must have lent a hand, the findings suggest.

And one in three believe that God created the world within the past 10,000 years.

and the source here:
link

I guess that half is the unintelligent half.

Thats my guess

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

ummm do you mean 2/2/2009?

took a look at ComRes to see what the question asked was which could have a large bearing on the infered answer but they dont appear to have anything even like this on thier website, closest i a 'whos aniversary is 2009 for a famous british scientists birth' ... which would be all of them that are british ... they forgot to mention anything to do with 200th aniversary

so going on the limited info supplied by the article it appears my country which i prided myself on as bieng less scienctifically illiterate and ignorant then america is just as bad

did make me chuckle at with this comment

Paul Woolley, the director of Theos said: "Darwin is being used by certain atheists today to promote their cause.

"The result is that, given the false choice of evolution or God, people are rejecting evolution."
umm isnt this the false dichotemy of evolution is ungodly so its god or evolution but not both that has been around for ... i dunno ... as long as Darwins origins

i agree its a false dichotemy but to blame the evil athiest cabal for somthing thats been around for 150 years and started by the church is a bit of a stretch , what next athiests were the crusaders ?

He said: "His argument for atheism goes like this: either God is the explanation for the wide diversity of biological life, or evolution is. We know that evolution is true. Therefore, God doesn't exist.

no the argument goes, evolution shows theres no specific need for a divine bieng, science as a whole shows ttheres no perticular need for a divine bieng, religeon cant find any evidence for said divine biengs

if science doesnt need it and religeon cant show its theres whats the point in believing in somthing like that, may as well just carry on until religeon manages to prove somthing or stops using congnative dissonance to support its self and convert folk

but it gets even more interesting after weve just had those two blaming athiests the church pops up from left field and makes a confesion

The Church launched a website promoting the naturalist's evolutionary views on which it said: "Charles Darwin: 200 years from your birth, the Church of England owes you an apology for misunderstanding you and, by getting our first reaction wrong, encouraging others to misunderstand you still."
so its very little to do with athiests and more to do with the church encouraging a false understanding of evoultion up until the website was stuck up

which makes the bishop misrepresenting the Dawkins position on evolution a liar both by blaming athiests when the church has admitted blame and by misrepreenting what Dawkins actually says ...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Poll reveals public doubts over Charles Darwin's theory of evolution. By Jonathan Wynne-Jones, Religious Affairs Correspondent

The findings – to be published tomorrow in a report by Theos, a theology think-tank– follow a row over the place of creationism in education.

They weren't gonna find the opposite now were they?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:51 AM
link   
That's just horribly horribly sad.
Then again I lost faith in most of humanity along time ago.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
it gets better take a trip to the theos website and look at the report they are offering free for download here www.theosthinktank.co.uk...

lets look at the description of this report entitled darwinism needs saving

On the one side stands a handful of modern Darwinians who insist that evolution has killed God and ideas of design, purpose, morality and humanity. On the other side are their mainly,

sorry but wtf? yes evolution kills off premediateted design in the ID sense,

no it doesnt kill of god any more then science kills of god they show there no specific need for one though and it a very retarded person who thinks science proves god is real or not real it cant do either

it kills morality? wtf? sorry we dont need to be scared of going to hell for us to be moral were moral becasue its the right thing to do and becasue we would like people to do the same for us

humanity? how the hell does it have negative effects on humanity? humans are humans even if they are also apes, infact it doesnt lessen humanity but links it more closley with every animal and plant species on the planet they stop being thing to rule over and mess with a we see fit and become part of our extended family ..

and getting rid of purpose .... if you think the only purpose your life truley has is going to church and begging forgivness for bieng human then id say thats a purpose that getting rid of wont be such a bad thing, if you cant come up with a better reason then bieng ashamed of who you are you may as well just go top yourself now and go visit what ever sweet and fluffy lord you believe in

no wonder darwin needs saving it needs saving from this morons doing the same thing as your average creationist

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
52% don't believe in evolution?

Where are these people?

In all my life, I have only encountered a handfull of people who still believe "God did it". The many others are all pretty damn comfortable in the theory of evolution.

As with all "studies" though, they probably only asked a group of 1000 people these questions, then mulitplied them up.

Then they probably got the contact details of these 1000 people from their own church mailing groups...

Say's it all, really.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
and just becasue im still looking around that theo website it looks like someone cant do simple maths

so this is the people who wrote the report they are getting the figures from sayswww.theosthinktank.co.uk...

Around 10% of people consistently choose (Young Earth) Creationism (the belief that God created the world some time in the last 10,000 years) over evolution
so how is 10% who think the earth is less then 10,000 years old turn into 1/3

so what the ACTUAL figures say are

10% young earth creationism
12% intelligent design proponents
25% Evolution did it deffintley
25% Evolution did it probabily
28% (they say 25% some how) are unsure and often mix evolution, ID and creationism together

so the real figures are
10% scientific illiterate morons (as opposed to near 50% in the states)
12% misguided or misinformed
25% know whtas going on
25% know at least some of whats happening
28% who are scientifically illiterate but probabily less moronic then the YEC brigade

i can once again feel proud my countries not as dumb on average as america, although this news paper article looks like it should have been in the daily star for its lack of accuracy

its hard to claim 50% are anti evolution when 28% of them dont have a clue about any of the 3 origins posabilities

thats like claiming peruvian natives that have never been contacted by the outside world are anti-evolutionists, you cant be anti until you have some clue what your objecting to

[edit on 2/2/09 by noobfun]

sty

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I tend to mention the date when the articles are published. 2/2/2009 is today !

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Even though it may seem like millions in the UK are scientifically illiterate, they are still light years ahead in basic knowledge compared to the American people! Sheesh there is someone in my college biology class who is majoring in biology to actually PROOVE creationism.. DOH!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
I tend to mention the date when the articles are published. 2/2/2009 is today !

**cough**

02/02/2008: British poll

it took you a year to name the thread?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Dances With Angels

awww id love to see where that gets them when they graduate

i have studied evolution extensivley and though all the evidence and everything i have been taught shows that only evolution can infact account for the wide diversity of species we find in our world and through out the fossil record with the numerous instances of recorded speciation and genetic level mutations passed on through inherted chromosones Genesis is still true and 100% accurate to the very hour given in the bible and none of the evidence i have researched learned about and taken part in exist there are no transitional fossil and monkeys dont give birth to men!

sty

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
maybe another statistic should be mentioned: about 8% of the UK population is not able to fully read , write or make basic maths calculations. It would be curious to see our statistic based on the education levels too..

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   
if they are anything like 32 of the 36 studies done on this then chances are most if not all of the 8% will fall into the creationist/ID group

theres generally a correlation between poor education levels and religeous belief

[edit on 2/2/09 by noobfun]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Also, doesn't the UK have a growning number of Muslims? Do they follow a strict interpretation of creation like the fundamentalist Christians do? Something in me says, "Of course! Why even ask that question?"

sty

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dances With Angels

that would explain some percentages indeed

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
muslim creationists like hindu creationists are both following the same line as the chritians

a minority shouting loud enough and pretending to speak for the majority, and with the majority of all 3 of them unwilling or just uncaring enough to speak up on the subject they get to pretend they still speak for everyone and call the few ouitspoken of the majority not real christains/muslim/hindu's which is why they all go through such efforts to equate evolution with atheism

becasue then it becomes the tool of the evil unbelievers and no want wants to be like them

so yepp some mulim are creationits(ive even seen some one arguing the earth is flat on the grounds of koaranic pasages) but theres plenty that dont buy that line in retarded ignorance

top topics

join