It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A low, house shaking RUMBLE last night- UK,sydenham,London

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
So! Im a victem of one of those 'low hum/rumbling' sounds that people have been experienceing in some parts of the world, not once but TWICE. DAMN strange when yer feel it man

I live in Sydenham, London UK. It was around 2.00am GMT. It had been snowing for a while. I was listening to the ATS mix show, trying to get to sleep. A story was being told by Johnny (i think), can't remember what it was about, but it got to a bit where he said...." Her walls started to bang" or something like that.

THEN..... a rumble, like a super strong blast of wind. The sound was so invasive and low that it encumbersed(sic) everything, i could feel it in my rib cage and could hear nothing else. The windows shook heaverly and it honestly #$£%&** the LIFE out of me. I thought, maybe a low flying jet? but NAH! NOTHING like it!!! Felt like a HEAVY lorry passing by, but i live in a deadend street, and the nearest road has speedhumps and is THICK with snow.

So anyway, lasted for FIVE seconds. I got out of bed and looked out of the window....it was as STILL AS ANYTHING....snow coming straight down, no wind, all snow on the tree branches remained. I looked out the back window, no lightning, no thunder, NOTHING, just snow.

So, I went back to bed. about 2 minutes later...RuuUUuummMBBLE RUMMBLeeEEeee RUMBLEEEeeeE!!!!! AGAIN!! lasted around 5 seconds, and just tailed off without any percievable direction.

This time i actually said out loud " WHAT is GOING ON????" I got out of bed again, and sat by the frount window for 20 mins freeeEEEEezing my nuts off lol, in the hope i would see what ever it was.........but the damn thing never happened again.

I have to say, this was quite an experience, this isnt the sort of place where anything like that happens?!?

My theories are:

A jet, military or otherwise? very unlikely, it was the rumble you might feel, but no distinct engines were heard.

A meteor. Possibley ripping through the atmosphere; might create this effect? Deffinately a strong 'air' rumble. But TWICE? unlikely.

An earthquake? we have had one before and i felt that when it happened, but was very minor and felt NOTHING like this.

I have been unable to find anyone up at that time of night who might also have also felt this!

If anyone could check any 'sources' they have, ie: earthquakes and such, i would REALLY appreciate it.

Thanx in advance and sorry for the rambling sentances, only just got up and wanted to get this all down while its still fresh in my mind

Cheers
AoN

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Well it could be infra sound from something it sounds like infra sound to me.
Don't ask me what from though.Any trains go near you?
But it even could be an earth tremor but I can find anything else reported.
Unless it was some natural phenomenon like thunder which of course you can get at any time in any climate but of course is more common in certain environments.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
BGS doesn't show any seismic trace for 2 am UTC, see here for the plots. I used the one from Swindon since it is fairly close to london, and most things would be picked up, but there isn't anything on it. There is a tiny bit on the Elham one, but really small as to be un noticeable even by a machine.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by apex]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Hi there BorgHoffen.

Yes i was going to use the term 'infra sound' to describe it origionally. There was a deffinate sound to it, but you couldn't really 'hear' it, i you know what i mean

You could 'feel' it, and the air 'HuUUumMMMMMMmed' , it felt like it was more in the air rather than a seismic event. Seemed as if it was comming from outside all around the house.

I do live sort of near a train station, but i've heard the heaviest trains that travel that line. It would have had to have be tearing up the track to make THIS kind of rumble. Definately wasnt a train thats for sure.

Im thinking it MIGHT have been an earthquake, but theres no reports of any.

Seriously strange, ive felt a small earthquake. That was a low rumble, but not in the air.

This was a strong, VERY prevalent, deep, low, bassy disturbance in the air.....that made the windows shake and the house vibrate

I am TRUELY baffeled

Cheers for the reply

AoN

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by apex

Cheers for that Apex

Guess im gonna remain perminantly baffeled then
damn!

Not an earthquake! so what the hell
I really haven't got a clue now

Cheers

AoN

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thundersnow perhaps? It looks like you are having or have had some precip and I heard something about a big storm. The snow muffles the sound a bit when it thunders.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:14 PM
link   
WoooHoooo!!!

Im NOT going made

Just got back from some band 'jammin' (music) and they BOTH heard it also, at EXACTLY the time i said, around 2:00am (i baited the question as such that one of them gave me the specific time he recalled
)

They were leaning on the 'thunder' side, but niether of them had ever experienced anything like it and both said "that just WASN'T normal".

Still baffeled, but for ME at least.. i know OTHERS felt it as well. One guy lives on the other side of the rail track, the other lives around 1/2 a mile away.

Could have been thunder...does meet the coverage. But damn! the most WIERDEST anomalous thunder ive ever experienced, was honestly like a small tornado was flying around my house.

Aparently, there is a 'sydenham UK' Forum according to my mum, i might see if any of them felt it.

I'm soOOOo happy two others felt it

Cheers

AoN

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Is there another road, besides the one you live on, that may have been getting cleared by a snow-plough? It sounds like a rumbling to me when one goes down another road close by.
Or a Salting truck?

Or a neighbour with a Bobcat clearing their driveway?

[edit on 2-2-2009 by violet]

new topics

top topics

join