It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graffiti girl jailed for first offence

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bloodcircle

Yeah, "
" people because of how they choose to live.

There is nothing wrong with saying "# the law." The law has #ed over plenty of innocent people, a good example is the ridiculous war on drugs. Arresting innocent, non violent people for smoking a bit of grass or dropping some acid.

So I say # the law too.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by PullThePin

So when someone paints on your house, takes a leak on your house, damages your property that YOU paid for...its all good right. If the cops knew who did it all they should say is..hey PTP we caught her but shes a nice girl..just makes dumb choices so we released her...good luck cleaning up the mess and paying to fix it...cya...I'm so sure you would be ok with that...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

Indeed...

Charming
Uhhh... WTF

Anyone who thinks she and her 'gang' have not done this many times before, are fooling themselves.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:18 PM
link   
She wrote her name on a wall!

She didn't piss on the wall, paint a big piece of graf, destroy any property. All the cafe wanted was 200 dollars. It must not have been much, definitely not worth 3 months in prison.

If someone is painting huge murals on private property, pissing on it or otherwise destroying it then fine, give them a punishment that fits the crime. Writing a name on a wall is NOT a crime deserving of 3 months in prison.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Yay! Let's judge people we don't know based off pictures they took with their friends that are probably meant to be seen only by their friends.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by PullThePin]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Of course it is the law's fault that she's been sentenced to jail. There's no question that she drew on the wall. However, the disproportionate sentence is a DIRECT result of the absurd laws in place.
It is your opinion that it is disproportionate. If you read my post. I agree. I also point out why these laws have come about. Where were your posts when the laws were tabled. Nowhere. Where was your protest at the tabling of these laws last year. No where. When did you question the passing of these laws. Never. When did you offer a discussion or provide an alternative to combat this huge drain on public and private resources, funds and man power. Zilch.

All of the above applies to a three month jail term for writing on a wall, does it?
Please read the current laws. Look at the pre-existing laws up to 18 years and look at the changes to penalties under the new act. She recieved well under the minimum. This is the law being enforced as per public policy as a result of ongoing cost incurred to the vast majority of law abiders. I said the courts are as harsh as they are compassionate. In this cash, it is harsh, i clearly say this a number of times in my post. Please read my posts properly.

I'd sure hate to see what a knee jerk over-reaction is...
look at your posts. They will provide you with a great example of knee-jerk over reactions.

You got that right. A three month jail sentence does show lack of compassion.
Once again I cleary point out that that is exactly what the court has done. It no longer tolerates this behaviour, not favours any individual of any history the grace of tolerance, compassion. I clearly point this out in my posts. Please read posts properly.

So it's not a police state, but we're going to see the full force of the law and harsher penalties smacking down on teenagers with textas. Ah-huh.
Please read my posts. I say that harsh penalties will be sentenced, and then the lesser penalties which i link below the stetement will apply, these are the same laws that already existed and pre-exist the new changes. Please read the laws, and my posts. Your replies are emotive, ridiculous and feature no regard for the people that these laws are designed to protect ie those tha OBEY the law. There is a simple solution. Do Not Graffiti. Unfortunately Terra, people do not follow this simple to understand request. And we end up here, penalising people severly due to the cost we as a whole incur as a direct result of this behaviour.
BTW, what is your solution Terra.
How are you going to free the million of dollars, 3 million from one council alone, from being need to clean and repair graffiti damage. How will you convince people to respect the property of others. What programs and educational avenues have you considered. What community based organisations and groups have you consulted. How will you free Police from having to waste time protecting public private property. What measure will you implement that will differ and indeed work that other councils, Governments, law enforcenment, social groups, schools and buisness groups have tried and failed.
Except scream and whine and create a thread and scream and whine some more.

We've got to make sure that everyone feels safe, don't we? What a way to educate the public!
I agree, imagine that after three years and millions of dollars, and countless hours of hard work that people still do not give a #$%^ about other peoples property whilst only satisfying there own need to write there name on a wall in texta.
I don't remember saying anything about being safe, I can only conclude that once again your irrational approach and emotive twisting of this case is responsible.
But you raise a great point. It is about safety. That a buisness will be safe from damage, that a school will be safe from vandals, that councils can safely budget for things that are need, and services that are essential, that Govts. can safely get back to allocating resources and tabling more important solution to things like transport, education and hospitals rather then have to create harsh laws to try and deal with people who don't give a $%^ about anyone or anything else but the need to tag so they can be cool.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
there is nothing compelling about this at all... dozens hell, probably hundreds of male vandals get locked up every week and yet when a girl gets caught defacing something you say "that poor girl." Three months deprived freedom is indeed pretty harsh for $200 worth of damage. That's like they only repay $2 a day in damages she caused. But prisoners do not get minimum wage...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by PullThePin

Yeah, "
" people because of how they choose to live.

Well if YOU choose to break the law, don't go whining about it.

So indeed "
" people who vandalise others property and then cry about it when finally the law kicks you in the backside for it.

There is nothing wrong with saying "# the law." The law has #ed over plenty of innocent people, a good example is the ridiculous war on drugs. Arresting innocent, non violent people for smoking a bit of grass or dropping some acid.

So I say # the law too.

I guess you miss the entire point. Here we have an 18 year old who broke the law, and received a severe sentence for what most people are calling a minor offense.

The main argument was "She has no record, no other offences" and this 3 months is 'ruining her life' and other emotional outbursts. She might have had a texta in her purse on her way home from Uni, or she might be a good honest law abiding citizen who just made a mistake once and is being treated horrendously.

I say bollocks. She's a hooligan who FINALLY got caught. She appears to have no respect for the law OR herself.

So you can beep the law all you want on your crusade against order, but don't ignore the facts in this case, when furthering your own agenda.

She is not an innocent little child in the wrong place at the wrong time. She's an adult who deliberately decided to vandalise someones property, and as an adult should know better. She has not been a 'kid' for a long time.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by PullThePin

Yay! Let's judge people we don't know based off pictures they took with their friends that are probably meant to be seen only by their friends.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by PullThePin]

Or lets bury our heads in the sand and pretend everyone is an angel, even when they brag about the not so angelic things they do.

Once more you don't get it either, the pictures I linked are in direct reply to the person who said she looked like an intelligent honest young lady.

Riiighhh..

(ps; you don't put pictures on a public forum if you only want your friends to see them, you set your profile private.)

[edit on 2/2/2009 by bloodcircle]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
That girl gets 3 months of jail and Bush gets none?

For those people that are saying that she is an adult by law are wrong. It only means that she is treated as an adult but that doesn't mean that her behaviors are going to magically change from a teenager's to an adult's in one night just because a law says so. If law says that if a man hugs another man then he is officially considered gay and a man hugs his friend because he is happy for him, he is saying goodbye, etc. Is that going to mean that he is gay just because the law says so?

In the other hand she might think twice before doing something bad again. It can also help her change her life in either a good or bad way.
The good one is that jail might stop her from continuing to do bad things. The bad is that she has a criminal record.

I'm almost on the fence on this one but I have to agree with Tezza in this one, the punishment is not right.....it should have being 5 months.....jk, it should not have been jail time. If she continued to do it a second time then that could have been jail time, but not the first time. The punishment was too harsh.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Master Shen long
Ok man, How many examples do you want me to send you? I have a large LARGE list of injustice cases bookmarked on my p.c..... Like the 11 yo taserd in school, Or the guy in NYC who had a police baton shoved up his ass in the tube station in front of witnesess, Or how about the 80 yo guy jailed for 4 years for riding his bike on his own garden drunk? Or maybe the black dude taserd to death for fainting in court? Do you want them all?

I thought we were talking about judges...only one of your examples involved a court. As I said, tens of thousands of cases roll through courts every day. You can throw out your large list, but it's still only going to amount to 1 in 10,000 cases or so. If you're going to "pass judgement" on all "judges" based on the actions of the few...then I think you need to wake up.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by leisuredrummer

Ridiculous. Think what the Aussies might do if they got their hands on the chimp? Anyone up for donating for a ticket to down-under for him?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   
In New Zealand SHE would be the victim. And if the cafe owner had complained and kicked her out they would be done for discrimination.

An offical over here got in trouble recently for making taggers wear pink overalls as they went around and cleaned up their tags around town. Apparently it offended gay people ...?

I am not joking.

But 3 months jail for the first offence ?

If its not one extreme its another now days. Where has common sense gone.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by bloodcircle
reply to post by Kryties

Indeed...

Charming
Uhhh... WTF

Anyone who thinks she and her 'gang' have not done this many times before, are fooling themselves.

I do get the feeling we are not getting the whole story here. I wonder how she acted in court and what she may have said to the Judge?

She is a Saint I tell ya. An innocent little Angel.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadtruth
Where has common sense gone.

I dunno mate, but judging by this thread it seems to have gone completely out the window.

Some people here think that the second somebody turns 18 it's an instant 'lights on' switch that instantaneously turns her into an adult. They also think that a 3 month sentence in an adult prison for writing her name on a wall is a fair and just decision.

There ain't no common sense here mate, it grew wings and went sailing out the window on the first page.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I think people are running off half cocked on both sides and nobody here was in the courtroom or do they know this persons past. Seems simple enough.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

No offence mate but you are saying that she deserves a 3 month sentence because of a few ugly photo's of her?

Like I said....common sense has gone out the window......

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
au.news.yahoo.com...

Graffiti artist gets good behaviour bond
February 3, 2009, 3:29 pm

A graphic design student caught doing graffiti on a Sydney wall has been wished luck in his art career by a magistrate, so long as his work is exhibited in galleries and not on public property.

Edward Mulvihill, 20, of Thirroul, near Wollongong, escaped with a good behaviour bond on Tuesday, a day after a teenager was jailed for three months for writing graffiti on a Sydney cafe's wall.

Mulvihill appeared before Waverley Local Court, pleading guilty to a charge of malicious damage after vandalising a wooden wall on Oxford Street, Paddington, on December 16.

Magistrate Chris Longley castigated Mulvihill, saying "it was all too prevalent for people in the community to create eyesores for the public at large".

WHAT????? So the girl gets 3 months jail for writing her name on a wall in texta, and this bloke gets a bloody good behaviour bond??

This is EXACTLY what we are talking about. The girl's punishment was WAY over the top. There is no consistency in the punishments from one judge to another.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

For all you know she spit on the Judges face or threw a chair at him/her. Who knows? You don't and neither do I. The humor was targeted at the pictures not the other statement.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join