It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4 Million "Snuggies" sold... I have officially lost faith in humanity

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ConservativeJack
honestly

they are so stupid looking

and why not just wear a hoody?

dude, if you bought one of those, you are officially game for all kinds of blankets and inventions involving blankets

I'm also an obsessive hoody wearing person too. I can't stand for cold air to touch my ears. So during the colder months, and at night(live in cali on the coast with that ocean breeze), you will almost always find me wearing a hoody.

I have atleast 12 different shirts with hoods on them. I usually wear them like a jacket.

If I were to buy one of these things would really all depend on the price. I wouldn't spend more than I would on a normal blanket, but if the cost for them is in the same range as a good blanket, then I don't see what the big deal is.

I love loose fitting clothes and such. I must have missed my calling as a monk or something.

Maybe some of these will come on woot!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
What a joke, I've seen alot of things worse then this being sold.
What this tells me is, people just don't value there money like they used to.
We've had to much money to just spend and this is what it's come down to, a big backwards robe.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's why you moron ... people (especially in the north) who are on fixed incomes can't afford to pay the high cost of electric or gas during the winter time because the price has gone up so high. Plus it's been an exceptionally cold winter. Moreover, you can't but your arms into a blanket. It's the mechanics. Blankets aren't big enough. Your feet get cold, etc etc.

Besides 4mil = 1.3% of the 303 million population of the States. Why does it surprise you that, that small of %age would sell. Perhaps you don't have a good grasp of math.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
... A silly item - yes! But we all know that in our heads we are saying - "Damn!... why didn't I think of that?!... Let's see - $14.99 times 4 Million..."

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Most of you folks must be very young and or have never sat in a chair to read and gotten cold.
Yeah, a blanket does slip and slide and you can't keep your arms warm if they are holding a book.
Getting up and out from under it and then getting it back on just right is the pits too.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John L. Baird (television camera)
When the first television system was demonstrated to the Royal Society (British scientists,) they scoffed and ridiculed it.

It was not the church authorities who refused to look through his telescope. It was his fellow scientists! They thought that using a telescope was a waste of time, since even if they did see evidence for Galileo's claims, it could only be because Galileo had bewitched them.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I seem to manage just fine without one, but maybe it's an age thing.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by OhZone
Most of you folks must be very young and or have never sat in a chair to read and gotten cold.
Yeah, a blanket does slip and slide and you can't keep your arms warm if they are holding a book.
Getting up and out from under it and then getting it back on just right is the pits too.

I do sit and read, and can see what you are saying. But at the same time I guess I've just never considered it a problem in anyway. But damn, like someone else already said, 14.99 x 4 million= I am jealous!

Oh well, here's to coming up with the next one! Think its time for the Pet Rock to make a retro comeback?!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

IT HAS NO BACK!

lol.

Seriously, the stupid people at the football game, wearing them, guess what.. no back.

I think I will stick to a regular blanket, if needed.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xenophiles
Why carp about the Snuggie when ShamWow, the glorified rag, is selling like hotcakes? This with a spokesman (the inimitable Vince) who looks like something that crawled up out of a bad horror movie. I still can't believe that everyone who saw those freakish commercials didn't just laugh and switch the channel, rather than buy the stupid things at $19.95 a pop.

This is too funny. How about Oxy clean? I call the guy in those commercials the oxy-moron.

Have you noticed his schitck now includes some type of health insurance?

Oh Lordy............LOL

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

I don't know dude.

My girlfriend and I always laughed about the snuggies because they look like Jedi clothing.

I would wear one just to be a Jedi.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Thank you so much for this thread. The comments on the first page, especially from LeisuredRummer and Skyfloating, made me laugh until I had tears in my eyes.

Those commercials drive me nuts and my family has said the same thing- just grab a robe. At least it opens in the front and it's not like a hospital gown giving you a drafty back-end.

It's all in the marketing.

[edit on 2/2/2009 by AshleyD]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by paperplanes
I think a good portion of the 4 million buyers bought it on a lark, as a sort of gag gift to the self.

Not necessarily true. My husband (because of his medical problems) likes the house cool. I don't. Sweaters and socks and sweat pants aren't always what you want to wear in the late evening.

I don't own one, but I can see its uses.

It has amassed a certain level of recent pop culture relevance, as many "Is this for real?" products do in America. I'm just curious about the creator(s) of this product. I wonder if it was a serious endeavor or if they realized the comedic qualities from the start. If it's the former, this might be terrifically humiliating.

Undoubtedly a serious endeavor. One that they've now realized over $6 million dollars in profit from (and undoubtedly more than that.) You might sneer, but they're laughing all the way to the bank.

The creators of hula hoops went through the same kind of issue with people sneering while they made a lot of money. Same with "pet rocks" and the Rubik's cube and thousands of other good inventions I can name.

It's good for the economy, frankly.

So... just because it ain't your cuppa tea doesn't mean that people in other situations might not find it useful.

...like the people in Kentucky now who are without power (particularly if someone's very ill or bedridden and in need of some care. Much easier to get them in a snuggie than get them into clothing. )

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Me, I'm waiting for the woolen footie pajamas little kids wear to come out in adult sizes. My sister in law found me one a company made years ago and it was great, I wore it till it fell apart. I get cold at night and it beat wasting money on heating!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Does anyone know how many wall mounted singing fish were sold? At least that had comic value......

It amazes me to the crap people buy from these commercials. As some one else mentioned....I always think it's some sort of joke, skit or a technic to get our attention for the actual product coming up, but the punchline never comes and a real product never appears............

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Sign me up for half a dozen right now.

...and the name is so cute and fluffy too...

Thats what I am saying? Who cares what the product is, with a name like "snuggie" how can you go wrong?

*searches for 1-800 number and grabs credit card*

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Someone in my school was wearing one the other day.
I really, really, really hate human beings sometimes.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Oh, yea, I see that commercial a lot. But how bout that slap chop?!
And if you order now... you get a free graty!

"You're gonna love my nuts" Yes, he actually says that without skipping a beat. If you haven't seen it, youtube it. He is the same guy who does the shamWOW one.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   
I think this sums it up quite well:

It's probably part of a sinister NWO Illuminati plot to desensitize us to people in robes when they unveil the new world religion.
Clever bastards! Mark my words the RFID chip is next.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by PontiacWarrior
Oh, yea, I see that commercial a lot. But how bout that slap chop?!
And if you order now... you get a free graty!

I love how he puts the onion w/ skin on into the slap-chop, and then tries to hide the fact that half the onion flesh is still sticking to the skin after a few slappies by turning it away from the camera.

I wasn't born yesterday Mr. cool headset guy.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

You should have stolen it and threw it in a trash can.

I remember in high school the god forsaken rolling backpacks just started coming out.. I hated every kid to lazy to put the freaking bag on his back. the halls where crowded, 2,500+ kids, and some dork with a rolling backpack would roll right over your feet. Or you would stub your toes on it, as it trails behind. Or trip.

One day, someone got their foot rolled over, took the bag, smashed it against a wall, took it by it's handle and flung it every where destroying it. He snapped. No one felt sorry for the kid who's backpack was ruined because it's a dumb, rude invention the points to stupidity and laziness.

I have the same feelings towards a "snuggie"

IT'S A BACKWARDS ROBE! DAMN!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join