It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Science fraud' alleged in urban lead incident

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
sciencenews.org...

The District of Columbia government manipulated data about the health impacts of lead contamination in local water supplies between 2001 and 2004. Federal agencies then colluded in downplaying any lead-poisoning risks to D.C. children by keeping quiet about what they knew. Or so charges Marc Edwards of Virginia Tech, the lead author of a paper that details repercussions of the incident.

An unintended consequence of the DC Water and Sewer Authority's 2001 decision to switch from chlorination to an alternative water-disinfection technology — chloramination —was the sudden release of large amounts of lead from plumbing (pipes, solder and faucets) into drinking water.

It's so nice to know that the DC Water and Sewer Authority's are willing to use experimental technology on the water supply without knowing what harmful affects it may have.

n the end, Edwards says, “We couldn’t get answers.” So his team submitted at least 30 Freedom of Information Act, or FOIA, requests to District and federal agencies again asking to see the lead data and any correspondence pertaining to it.

Looks like under the Bush admin the FOIA meant litterally nothing. The funny thing about this is that they recieved a letter from the CDC's FOIA office right after Obama was sworn in.

For studies by the District’s health department, the local water utility, and those that each funded to all miss evidence of a blood-lead spike in local children is prima facie evidence “that there is fraud involved,” Edwards claims. “It simply defies decades of research that proves unambiguously that high lead in water can harm children.”

The sad thing is that the Water and Sewer Authority's skewed data was distributed as fact not only in the united states but around the world as a base for the harmful affects of lead on children

It's scary to think how many dangerous contaminations have occured that the public was never informed about. They are required by law to report these kind of incidents to the public so why was nothing said?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:56 AM
link   
So nobody thinks this is interesting at all?

posted on Feb, 24 2009 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I do find this interesting. I know someone who was played for a fool by the person who had manipulated date. Someone that was a mentor to her. Fortunately she is very low on the todem pole, knew nothing of this, and only got a heads up the day before this went public.

If you hear no more of this, more evidence is being gathered for an all out show down or it has been hushed up.

posted on Feb, 25 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
I think a lot of people reading this (such as myself) are thinking "..." as in, "I don't know that much about it". I understand why the CDC, government, etc. would be on the scramble to identify and fix however. There also should be immediate disclosure of public dangers. The main problem with disclosure is the flighty panic we get into as a society. We really need to cut that out and take a more mature approach to problem-solving.

I actually don't know a whole lot about water treatment, but my brother-in-law worked at a water treatment plant. It actually is very involved and surprisingly technical. On the tour he showed me everything from taking samples to lab for microbial review to aeration to filtration to chemical treatment, it was stunning to see all the work that goes into it. The plant was fairly small and the unit didn't involved a lot of people, but its importance to the community is high. This is the little that I know...though it would not surprise me that the government or anyone else would support consumers buying 'spring water' or other filtration systems just to keep clean water in the hands of the public's decisioning instead of the governments. The more sources we have for water, the better. It is the second greatest necessity for life.

[edit on 25-2-2009 by saint4God]

new topics

top topics

join