It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinical paranoia and conspiracy theories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
What do you make of "clinical" paranoia? That is, paranoia as a true mental disease? Versus being aware of/interested in/ fascinated by the possibility of conspiracies, secret societies, etc?

Where do you draw the line? Its obvious to me that some people on ATS have "a screw or two loose." At the same time, I'd say most of us are just freethinkers who are less restrained than most sheep and are looking corageously for answers. The question is, how do you tell the difference...either in yourself or in others? I believe things now that many would consider "pathological" because they fall outside the standard realm of what most people have been fooled into believing...but I'm pretty sure I'm not mentally "sick" in any way.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
my opinion is that a lot of the theories have just enough evidence to keep them going combined with random pieces of information that seem to fit a little bit of the theory.
this then causes fear which leads to a minor form of paranoia

an example of this was last year, i was doing a bit of research on 2012. When information fit then i kept it but when it didn't i would forget about it, this created a lot of little bits of information. i soon began to get worried, before i knew it i was #ting myself about the end of the world.
later on i read a few threads that had different theories about 2012, not involving the end of the world.

people can get so worked up of conspiracies that they don't listen to reason. which causes an easily cure able form of paranoia

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Clinical paranoia, in my opinion - is when people get overtly obsessed with scenarios they havee only read about - rumor, speculation - and begin to lose sight of the beauty of the real world around them.

Most conspiracy "theories" are just that...an idea.

It's when people begin to take something speculative as literal fact that we begin to see a problem and divergence from reality. Especially in instances where the subject at hand is such that it begins to take over the entire mental landscape of said person.

I believe in free speech, but I also know the dangers of propaganda and the subtle mental manipulation of the weak minded.

Sadly - some reach a point in their obsession that they no longer listen to rational explanations, and become more and more fearful and vigilant until they eventually destroy themselves.

It's almost as if some become self made martyrs by choice - but those are usually only extreme cases.

The majority of people are curious about things, and sometimes on can learn a lot from the field of conspiracy theory - such as laws of logic, rational thinking, making connections, searching and research...so there is some value in this field.

*edit - spelling

[edit on 2/2/09 by GENERAL EYES]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Silent, I love your avatar by the way.

Well, I would say the difference would be physical vs. simply an overreaction or panic to discouraging knowledge of unfortunate truths.

If half of the things purported to be true on this site were indeed true, you would be insane not to be a little paranoid.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   

The only things on ATS I believe are the things I can find some
evidence for elsewhere.

Even then it is possible some of it fabricated.

It is well know there are hoaxers out there to be sure.

Even with these above approaches I'd consider myself a little
on the paranoid side because our governments have done some
odd things in the past that are fact.

All the kooky symbols on the US money doesn't help matters either.

The Bilderberg meeetings are real.

UFO's I tend to believe due to the NBC show Confirmation.

After Stalin, Mao, Hitler, Polpot, and the British opium wars I find
it easy to believe at one time some governments were run by
monsters masquerading as human beings.

I mean that metaphorically, in the sense that they were inhuman.

Once you get an inkling how often they have lied to us, you
start to wonder if they lie more than tell the truth.

So for those who deem me too paranoid, I offer history as the cause
to my malady.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by iced_blue
my opinion is that a lot of the theories have just enough evidence to keep them going combined with random pieces of information that seem to fit a little bit of the theory.

The funny part is there are many different theories which means all but one is false, and this is what I find interesting in how people can not see this and question their own pet theory.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:47 AM
link   
There are people who see conspiracies in everything. It's a case of "Seek and you shall find". Some people will see patterns where there are none. I believe it is a paranoid delusional illness. Anyone can join two dots with an imaginary line. Whether the line exists or not is up for debate.

If the information does not fit together properly, people will create fanciful and highly ambiguous/convoluted links in the data where there are none... and finally they will resort to relying on 'unfalsifiables' because they soon learn that it's the only data that cannot be disproved.

I believe there is merit in some conspiracies, and yes, I do believe that they exist, you'd have sand in your ears if you believed otherwise but there is a huge disparity in the numbers between real conspiracies and imagined ones.

IRM

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
And people who are obsessed with obeying people have clinical obsessiveness!

I'm sorry, but politicians have lied to us way too much, and the government is just an awful mess right now, all governments for that matter are terrible right now.

Us "clinical crazies" are the only ones that seem to know what's going on right now.

I think that that's what I have.

I am pretty sure I am clinically paranoid.

I am proud of it!

I can't believe these idiots that think that people who think the government does bad things are just paranoid. These people think that the government is only out there to do GOOD things for the country. They may do what they believe is right but it's not always good for the country.

Some people like these psychologists are utter morons-- who think that paranoia is only established in people when they worry constantly about what the government is doing and that people are spying on them. People need to think outside of the box. Could you believe anyone that thinks that people that don't trust the government are just clinically paranoid? Seriously?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Good point.

It's like when you're given a "connect the cots" picture, and instead of following step by step, you end up just making lines randomly.

There's a point to proper processes and steps to realizing the Truth.

Such is the point of certain disciplines.

I've been through so many stages of trying to figure stuff out once new elements were introduced, and at the time I didn't understand, I was fearful and paranoid - but now that I realize I have more power over myself and my own mind than anyone else ever could, I can look back and see the path clearer.

Step by step. Everyone goes through that stage at some level.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I once asked the same question...Paranoia or Awareness? and Im still curious on the answers that will come up in this thread.

The question remains kind of unresolved, doesnt it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:30 AM
link   
I think we toss the word Paranoia around a little too easily when it comes to conspiracy theories etc.

In most cases if you have to ask yourself or think to yourself "I am paranoid?" or "Am I being Paranoid?"...chances are..your not paranoid.

Having a small amount of paranoia is healthy in my opinion, it's when it gets in the way of rational thinking that it can get harmful

Being able to read some of the stranger idea's conspiracy theorists and doomsayers put out there, and objectively reading both sides of the story and coming to a determination of truth weather for or against said conspiracy/doom does require a bit of paranoia/vigilance.

In my opinion, I think it opens up people to idea's they might not otherwise be knowledgeable or comfortable with. The extremists that take all information Verbatim and think there is a conspiracy or someone watching them around every corner and argue that it's true with irrational or biased evidence are in my opinion paranoid.

Some who question the validity or truth and or evidence in a situation may be placed into a more vigilant state of mind, maybe into a more of a HyperViglant state. Making you feel paranoid, but rather your more aware of a given situation.

en.wikipedia.org...

top topics

join