It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tandem Wing Aircraft in 2009

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I've googled and searched ATS but cannot come up with any image of aircraft I saw flying. It was a large plane, looked like only one fuselage, and it had a regular size wing fore and a similar size wing aft. Atop the aft wing were two large vertical fins.
Rutan's planes look similar, but are any flying now?

Thanks for all help.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...
www.nurflugel.com...

similar to these?
Weird looking nonetheless.

[edit on 2/1/09 by MoothyKnight]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Thanks, Moothy. More like this Sorta or sorta .
I don't believe it was an A-10 Warthog either, as both times I saw it I thought, "My, what a strange looking plane. The rear wing is as big as the front one." The last time I saw it, it was low enough to note it was painted white.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
how about a Beech Starship?

Or is that what you meant by Rutan's planes?

www.pimaair.org...

[edit on 2-2-2009 by maintainright]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Thanks, maintain, for the info and link. No, still not it. But I enjoyed looking at the planes. I think aircraft with a canard are interesting to look at.

What I saw really seemed to have two similar size wings, and the rear one had those huge fins.

I hope I see it again. The second time, it flew overhead, and I ran in to get my spotting scope, but couldn't find the craft when I returned.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Ok, I may have answered my own question. I forgot that Northrop Grumman bought Scaled Composites. NG will fly SCs Proteus for one of its projects, before it switches over to the RQ-4 Block 40 Global Hawk. So I probably did see Rutan's Proteus.
here

new topics

top topics

join