It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What events do you think were changed?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   
If really in fact there was ever a time machine created and we never knewabout what events do you think maybe could've been changed?

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AD5673
If really in fact there was ever a time machine created and we never knewabout what events do you think maybe could've been changed?

JFK assassination perhaps, and similar stuff. Pearl harbor, 9/11...

What better way to seamlessly cover something up than go back in time and eliminate the evidence!

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
You could argue alot of what if scenarios already happened and someone went back in time to make it so that JFK got assasinated or Pearl Harbor was allowed to happen or 9-11 was allowed to happen etc. etc.

Just as an example what if JFK lived and changed the course of world events to the detriment of the US?

What if Japan didn't attack the USA? Then the USA didn't enter WWII and Germany developed the A bomb first. Then it's possible that the USA had to surrender to Germany after Germany could have destroyed any East coast city they wanted to.

What if 9-11 never happened and there really was an evil conglomeration of terrorist nations that succeeded in launching nuclear attacks that caused WWIII because the US was complacent too long without 9-11. There are all kinds of what ifs.

If you think the US hasn't been complacent then you have forgotten that there was a time not much more than 10 years ago where a foreign dictator believed the USA was a paper tiger and would not do anything militarily that is. Remember the Jimmy Carter days when a hostage rescue mission couldn't even make it past the desert?

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Orion, your "what ifs" are excellent examples of how time travel in the past to change future events without adversly effecting that future.

There have been numerous theories of past time travel and it's possible adverse effects by being there.

Ray Bradbury's A Sound of Thunder is an excellent short story about this. If you haven't read it, you should. It is pretty short and a great read.

P.S. When I Googled Sound of Thunder, there was some other links about a Sep '04 motion picture release. I hope it is as good as the story.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:48 PM
link   
if they went back and changed the events then thats the way they always were and we could never know..if they went back in time and dusted the guy who invented coffee makers wouuld we all one day be going damn what happened to all the coffee makers? doubt it.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
if they went back and changed the events then thats the way they always were and we could never know..if they went back in time and dusted the guy who invented coffee makers wouuld we all one day be going damn what happened to all the coffee makers? doubt it.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Perhaps they allowed Adolf Hitler to come into power in the past, because in the future the Soviet Union became too powerful and invaded the US...

I read somewhere that if it hadn't been for Hitler, the Soviets would have some day invaded America and whatnot.

I'm not saying Hitler was a hero, just simply adding my 2 cents...

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Being that the legend of Jesus wasn't written until many years after- I wonder what details were embelished or left out.

I also think JFK was changed- he was and still remains the only non protestant president in US history. US presidents are chosen by the elite and kept in thier group that even Pres Bush and John Kerry have the same DNA- they are distant cousins.

9-11 was definitely changed, esp the plane over Pennsylvania, I am convinced it was shot down.

posted on Apr, 12 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr

If you go back in time, alter something, and this creates a specific FUTURE, rest assured that the previous version is just as real as the "newly created one". All possibilities already exist!

Therefore, if you shot your grandpa as you go back in time, it wouldn't create a contradiction. There is a reality where you are never born because you shoot your own grandpa, and there is a reality where you do NOT shoot your grandpa and you ARE born. All there is is lessons, and an infinite variety of same. So yes, if one is to consider what could be changed if one was to go back in time, then any and all possibilities exist, don't they! We wouldn't be aware of them because we ARE the result of the change. We'd have no memory of anything BEFORE the change.

In fact, if such is possible, then whoever possesses this ability also would inevitably control our entire race! Anyone who can go back as far "back in time" as they want and create any alterations, can set up the "future" to be exactly as they want it to be, with careful crafting/engineering of the past. We'd be sheep to the slaughter, which we are.

To take it even further, if it is even POSSIBLE to go back and forth through time, then rest assured it is DONE. All taht is possible exists, that much I hope is obvious. There's 2 ways to look at it. Either time exists, or it does not. If time exists, then then all things that are possible ARE true, since they had infinity of time to manifest themselves, and anything that's possible, given eternity becomes MANIFESTED in reality an infinity of time (think about it).

If times does NOT exist, then everything exists simultaneously and only different focus points in reality exist that simulate the illusion of "time". In either case, all things already EXIST, and therefore are done. The only thing left to contemplate is whether we think it is POSSIBLE to travel back in time, and what would be the limitations etc of such. If it is, we're already bought and paid for as we're the property of our invisible "owners" from the "past" or the "future", which are really one and the same once time is not a factor.

Reality is fun, isn't it...

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by lilblam]

posted on Apr, 13 2004 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I made my point about this subject on this thread.

Anyways, time has it's own 3 dimensions. To illustrate this, I'll use the simplest form: XYZ. For the lamen, X is a horizontal path, Y is the vertical path, and Z is the path of depth, or the line that goes from close to you to far away from you.

We are travelling on the Z path... it is, as stated in an earlier post, linear. We go (in our perception) from earlier time to later time. When you go a bit negative on the X axis (left, in visual terms), you are entering a different reality of time, as well as if you were to divert a bit to the positive (or right). Same thing applies to diversions to the positive Y (up) or negative Y (down). Since time is relative, you could travel in a straight line in any direction and have a perceptivly normal timeline, or rather what you would experience would be a normal timeline.... but if you were going in the direction of Ypos and made an immediate jump to a point of time that is in Zneg, you would perceptually be able to notice the changes, because the events that were happenning on the timeline you WERE in wouldn't quite coincide with what is happening in the 'now' timeline that you entered. A larger deviation to the left/right/up/down during your forward path would result in perceptually more awareness of the dimensionality of time because events would have happened/would be happenning in different sequences or whatever from what you were used to.

I believe that time anomolies like this could account for some peoples' (not all, of course...) recollection of doing something during their childhood, having it confirmed, then at a later date having the persons who were thought to be involved saying that "No, that never happened...". I'm sure a majority of people have experienced this in one form or another. As well, Dejavu could also be explained by intersecting occurances of similar timelines... as someone stated before, there is no true paralell. If I remember right, this has to do with something about the perfect shape is that of a sphere, and everything inevitably curves. If time didn't curve, nothing could exist, but I won't get into that... a bit over the top just for the sake of time travel. Basically, a sphere is the best visual representation of true infinity.

The entire thread is actually quite good, for the most part. As someone else stated in the thread, there are actually more than just 3 dimensions of time, but it's easier for someone to visualize 3 rather than 7 or 9. I understand it (I also have an innate understanding of Quantum Mechanics... never learned, but all Q theories make more sense to me than textbook physics do) but I couldn't really explain to someone else. So, stick with the three and stay sane for now, lol.

[Edited on 13-4-2004 by Earthscum]

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weise
Perhaps they allowed Adolf Hitler to come into power in the past, because in the future the Soviet Union became too powerful and invaded the US...

I read somewhere that if it hadn't been for Hitler, the Soviets would have some day invaded America and whatnot.

I'm not saying Hitler was a hero, just simply adding my 2 cents...

The Soviet had more than enough men and wepons to invade and destroy the US, and Russia still does.

posted on Apr, 14 2004 @ 06:48 PM
link   
russia or soviets have enough men and equipment to invade the us? that is, imo, to put it mildly, absurd. first off the logistics of landing here would be huge without a base like we had in england, not to mention that the soviets were clinging for their lives during wwii. then following wwii, if they had the ability, why didnt they do it? its because neither the us nor russia had the ability to take the other one out with the other also destroying the aggressor.

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
time travel will one day become reality, but what will we use it for? If we do decide to start changeing things then it could possible make time travel non existant, but then if that happened time travel would be invented again an then we would be looping round and round reality of existance.

Unless someone invents an anti time shield so we could pre-view changes gor good or worse an then set it correct again.

Is it possible to invent something that would exist outside of time or block time so time changes would be recorded?

posted on Apr, 15 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
If you went back in time a changed the past to be the way you want it to be, then what incentive would there be to go back in time in the future? Why go back in time to change something that doesn't need changing because its already changed by you who went back in time but now doesn't need too so does it ...ah screw it!!!

posted on Apr, 16 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by spangbr
russia or soviets have enough men and equipment to invade the us? that is, imo, to put it mildly, absurd. first off the logistics of landing here would be huge without a base like we had in england, not to mention that the soviets were clinging for their lives during wwii. then following wwii, if they had the ability, why didnt they do it? its because neither the us nor russia had the ability to take the other one out with the other also destroying the aggressor.

No one wouldve gone to war because it cleraly wouldve been a nuclear war. They didnt want that.

new topics

top topics

join