It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever Happened To The Mind-Opening Cartoons I Used To Watch As A Kid!??!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

Thanks for the contribution IRM

Excellent image illustration might I add

For the record..and I don't mean to drift off topic here mods.. I also used to watch those even older 60's and 70's cartoons.

The Flinstones, Jetsons, Josie and the Pussycats, Scooby Doo and many others were groovy indeed. I have fond memories of all of them. Back then, writers weren't afraid to be original. There.. I said it

Majorion

[edit on 2/2/09 by Majorion]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

I concur, symbology was a core theme in those 80's animations. Occultism also. Everything you said; was the main point I'm trying to get across to people viewing this thread.

Higher consciousness, and understanding the bigger picture behind this massive and complex universe; is what they(artists/writers/TPTB) were trying to relay.

Forgive me contemporary fans, today's works are hardly masterful or imaginative.

[edit on 2/2/09 by Majorion]

Man, your'e not the only one who thinks this, glad there are more of us

Here's a selection on of posts from my thread, your'e thread DOES belong on ATS, but you need to fight to keep it there ;o) Food for thought.......

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Enjoy.... ;o)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Mickey Mouse The Plow Boy (1929)

www.youtube.com...

banned cartoons popeye spinach fer britain

www.youtube.com...

WE didn't have TV when I was really young, but when we did get a TV we were still watching really old cartoons, and yes they had a message.

It wasn't until I was older that I realized the political side of cartoons.

Edited,
MY oldest child is 40 my youngest is 20 so I have been through a lot of cartoons,any day now I am going to be a great grandmother so will see how much propaganda is in the new ones.

[edit on 092828p://bMonday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Quote from the Second Plank of the Communist Manifesto:
Establishment of a heavy progressive or graduated income tax.

Quote from the following Disney cartoon:
"March 15th, where every American should pay his or her income tax, gladly and proudly!"

[edit on 2-2-2009 by username371]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Yes I would have to agree with you that most cartoons after 2000 have been crap, they have become something that only mindless people would watch, one of the problems is that most American cartoons only want there to "teach" little children right and wrong, only right and wrong are not the same as they show on the Television and what it is in the real world.

The only good cartoons that are around today are the ones that did not come from America. I find that the best cartoons then and forever come from Japan.

The shows that America shows are like WTF and the shows that made "Cartoon Network" great are no more and shows like Chowder, Fosters Home for Imaginary Friends, Flap Jack.What the F#$% are these, they actually make children super stupid I would know I have 2 Little Brothers and 1 little sister and they cannot stop laughing at them and I find that there is no point to them, unlike the cartoons from our day, where they did teach you some moral and nowadays you can't see that anymore.

I don't think you would know that the Fox 29 or what ever you call the cartoons that are on Fox on saturaday mornings are no more. I think that this is what is wrong, They got rid of this because no one would be watch it anymore. Anyone agree with my theroy?

They need to know what not to do anymore, which is copycats that you can see have been done. Like the show Saturdays on Cartoon Network is just a remake of a show that they did back in the day. and it sucks I think they can do new show without doing remakes.

PS sorry it was so long, I think I lost my thought and then picked it back up and dropped it again, But I think I sort of made my point.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Lost 1950's Baby Boomers Outer Space TV Cartoon - Rare Obscure Animation

I don't remember this one.
www.youtube.com...

I didn't sit in front of the Tv all that much.

OMG

Banned Bugs Bunny Racist Scene
www.youtube.com...

Thanks guys now I am looking for the conspiracy element in cartoons.

BETTY BOOP BANNED CARTOON - Sexy - Nude - Behind the Scenes

www.youtube.com...

Betty Boop Cartoon Banned For Drug Use 1934
www.youtube.com...

donnald duck banned episode
www.youtube.com...

WOW

nothing new under the sun

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by username371

Sorry user I was searching while you were posting the same thing.

Wild stuff

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Great Thread
I'm with you on this, I never understand what kids are suppose to learn todays cartoons. The sad pert is that the kids enjoy the show too.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And there is a moral to Spongebob, he is always kind, loyal, happy and full of life no matter what people or the world dish at him.

Spongebob is mindless entertainment for zombie children there's no value there whatsoever.

right

spongebob is very loyal to mr krabs no matter how low he gets paid

he is still the best worker no matter how bad mr krabs treats him!

IMO this is a way to get kids to enjoy being SLAVES for nothing!
it teaches subserviance

btw awesome thread, your right old cartoons were awesome

and to the kid who said "leave your morals for sunday " your exactly the epitome of what we are talking about
you've been brainwashed into thinking MORALS are bad and offensive??!!!

kinda rare we get someone openly siding with the forces of evil eh?
im sure cobra commander would be proud...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Wow. Mind altering cartoons maybe. TV induces mild hypnotic trances. Yes, cartoons are REALLY dumb now, I have to try to watch them so I can be aware of what my kids may be absorbing. They are plain BAD BAD BAD.
Personally, I have a very low opinion of recreational tv (and movies) for this reason.
When someone else is doing the thinking for you, watch out.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Don't forget THE BIG EYE OPENERS:

Ulysses 31, tons of ancient references to Atlantis :

www.youtube.com...

Mysterious Cities of Gold (VERY PRO ANCIENT TECHNOLOGY! ATLANTIS, LEMURIA etc):

www.youtube.com...

Both of the above cartoons (more like animated adventures) where written by the French, in this the French excel as they pushed the alternative theories and more creative approaches.
Very non-pc, very cool.

How I loved watching these as a kid

God how I hated the early 1990s though, Cartoons really took a nosedive!

Other cool kids programs:

Terrahawks

Poleposition (cool theme)

Transformers

Trapdoor

Dangermouse.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by WatchRider]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Actually I think sponge bob does have some adult oriented stuff.

Example Mr Crabs is a greedy, money grubbing, owner/mamager of a fast food place.

Sponge Bob is his naive, dream slave worker/ideal employee, who still believes in doing a great job despite being ripped off and taken advantage of.

Squidward is more realistic in his ambitions, he know he is being ripped off.

If you look closer at Sponge Bob you will see some themes that deal with modern BS and stupidity.

Dunno about other cartoons today though.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   

See the World's First Animated Cartoon—It Dates to 3,200 B.C.!!!

You might think the first animation dates to Walt Disney's early Mickey Mouse days, but it goes back further into the past. Way back. As in 5,200 years ago. That's the actual date of the world's first animation, found on a Iranian clay bowl.

Did you ever have an animation flipbook as a kid? One of those tiny books with tons of drawings that you quickly flip to get the cartoon effect? That's exactly what this is like, only the drawings appear in sequence on the side of the bowl. They show a wild goat, known as the Persian desert Ibex, jumping up to eat the leaves of a tree, which is believed to represent the Assyrian Tree of Life. This is a big deja vu for me, because I was once gifted with a necklace showing an almost identical scene.

The goat likely represents the Iranian mother goddess Murkum, who was originally worshiped in the region that's now Pakistan. Murkum's popularity spread to what is now Iran. Since women usually prayed to Murkum, it's possible that the potter was either a woman, or that the earthenware bowl was created for a VIP female at the time.

Thanks go to archaeologist Dr. Mansur Sadjadi, who brilliantly figured out the potter's stroke of animation innovation genius, and to Mohsen Ramezani.

blogs.discovery.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
Its just a sign of the times.

Kids also spend hours a day playing a guitar (guitar hero or rock band) that wont ever teach them how to "play" a guitar.

Well.. actually it does motivate kids to pick up an actual guitar.

And the drums in Rockband DO teach you how to play actual drums.

So don't go slighting those Faux Guitars MC Lars.

We've become a society obsessed with the moment or the now.

God I wish that were true...

If it were, we'd all be much happier.

Forget about putting some effort into learning an instrument or putting some brain power into a stimulating cartoon.. NOOO.. We want it now.

Did you actually say "putting some brain power into a stimulating cartoon"?

That's hilarious....

Ok, so I think you may be mistaking the desire to live in the moment, right now... with instant gratification.

Those two things are COMPLETELY different.

We worship the particle and ride the wave that comes along with it. What will that wave be? A generation of boring identical kids with the same haircut and the same crappy taste in music.

Yeah... kinda like the last 8 generations.

Not to mention how easy it will be to mold those minds to whatever nefarious agenda TPB may be hiding up there sleeves. A mind that only lives in the now is a mind that can only react in the now. Through fear.

Whoa... you have obviously never studied mindfulness or zen. These two concepts, when applied, have the only goal of living in the now. And guess what... when you really live in the now... you stop REACTING to things. You also lose all fear.

Methinks you should do some research on your ideas to help you perfect them... speaking of brain power.

Peace

"Worship the wave, ride the particle"

Don't woship anything except for the experience of right now. Because that is all there is.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Learn about money with Disney (HaHaHa) :

[edit on 2-2-2009 by seker2k]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
yer bruv the original teenage mutant hero turtules was quality, nothing will ever beat that, contsantly on about other dimentions.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
How about the Bluffers?
A beautiful Paradise destroyed by a greedy industrialist Clandestino!

www.youtube.com...

I agree the quality has gone waaaaay down, not to mention the artwork!!!!
Nowadays do they really all have to have square heads and pointy triangle noses?
What happened to hand painted backdrops?
Oh right, they take so much time to do....

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
My son will actually sit down and watch boomerang and any of those cartoons. He said the ones that are on today are boring. And to tell you the truth, I don't care if he decides to watch those instead of Phinneus and Pherb (not even sure how to spell that one). Those cartoons were good enough for me when I was growing up. I turned out okay. It's not as though I'm letting him park on the couch with repeats of Beavis and Butthead.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by LysCat]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:07 PM
link   

How can anyone say "mind opening cartoons," and miss the most cerebral cartoon ever? Of course Rocky and Bullwinkle are the top cartoon, probably too deep for many mesmerized adults, but good enough for kids who often see through it all.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by SkipShipman]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

Originally posted by TheRealDonPedros
Its just a sign of the times.

Kids also spend hours a day playing a guitar (guitar hero or rock band) that wont ever teach them how to "play" a guitar.

Well.. actually it does motivate kids to pick up an actual guitar.

And the drums in Rockband DO teach you how to play actual drums.

So don't go slighting those Faux Guitars MC Lars.

I have to disagree with you there. Guitar Hero and Rock Band do not teach children - or anyone - how to play an instrument. It may inspire them to do so, and it may even help with keeping rhythm... but it doesn't teach them to play. The same reason why playing a FPS may be able to help you develop strategic thinking, but won't teach you to use a gun or become a soldier.

Guitar Hero and Rock Band are entertainment only. They are not learning instruments. Anyone who makes that mistake are fools, and this goes for both those who condemn Rock Band for being an "Easy Surrogate" to real guitar, and those who praise it or expect it to teach some sort of fundamentals. The skills you acquire at Guitar Hero are only applicable to Guitar Hero. The skills you acquire at real instruments are only applicable to real instruments.

Witness Exhibit B: Rush attempting to play Tom Sawyer on Rock Band.

They're professionals at playing instruments, yet they can only get 31% on Rock Band? They failed their own song? They weren't even playing on the advanced difficulties.

Clearly something isn't adding up here in thinking that playing Rock Band has ANYTHING to do with playing real instruments. No, it's not an example of TPTB trying to dumb us down, it's simply a complete misunderstanding of the purpose of the game and a failure to think critically.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join