It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whatever Happened To The Mind-Opening Cartoons I Used To Watch As A Kid!??!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Am I the only one to notice what's wrong with the crap kids watch these days; I mean COME ON.. Sponge Bob Square Pants??!! What's that supposed to inspire in them?!

Wanna see some REAL cartoons, I'll post intro clips from some of the mind expanding stuff I used to watch as a kid.

Here goes;

The Silverhawks - Intro

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors

Dungeons and Dragons

Dino Riders

Brave Star

And there's so many more!

Notice how excellent the theme music is for these toons

Cheers!

[edit on 1/2/09 by Majorion]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Here's some more

Bionic Six - Intro

And how can we forget...

Captain Nintendo: Game Master

Very trippy

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Galaxy Rangers

Thunder Cats

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I dont know, the Boondocks is pretty spot on, but it isnt really for kids, haha

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
You know what else disappeared, the moral of the story, all those oldies had them, you listened because they were your heroes:

Is that the heart chakra - whatever it kicks ass!

Great thread, I'm a fan of 80's cartoons myself hence my username ;o)

[edit on 1-2-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by drsmooth23

So is The Simpsons or Family Guy. However those are contemporary adult oriented toons. The ones I'm discussing; are cartoons for kids.

Don't you agree, after looking at all the videos I've posted of the good ol' 80's stuff, that cartoons noways for kids are just rubbish?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Possibly the greatest "Morals" cartoon of all time and we need more of this:

Captain Planet!!!!

Semper

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

Yes, Skeletor was an awesome and ruthless enemy. I was trying to look for a video of He-Man to add, couldn't find any intros for it.

Exactly, the morals have been lost. These guys were literally heroes to me when I was young. And they still ARE

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

OMG semper, I was gonna add that too. Captain Planet was one of my favourite toons of all time. I still wish I had those cool elemental rings.

Thank you.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   
i know actually what your talking about. They need to bring them back. The end was coming thou me and my bros saw it coming when afternoon cartoons and the ones that came on saturday morning were all anime. Not even the good stuff, i'm talkin that gov't grade A cheese.

I mean..samurai pizza cats?! Pfft..it was a rap then.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Here's more;

Action Force

Cobra lalalalala

Transformers

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
I for one think the "Conspiracy" is far more insidious than we imagine.

While we grew up with and formed our imaginations around such heroes as Bugs Bunny, The Justice League and The Road Runner, the "Powers that be" decided that there was too much violence in those cartoons and so brought us Sponge Bob and The Tele-Tubbies".

Yet how can this be justified when at the same time, "they" were designing and addicting us to some of the most violent video games one can imagine?

I think it all ties into, and bear with me, a Liberal Agenda. While we have grown up celebrating "winners", our children are being conditioned to not win. Look at what we do now.

We can't keep score in Little League, they all have to be winners.
Bugs and the Road Runner always won, they had to go.
We now give trophies to everyone, even the obvious losers.

I'm sorry but I always thought that learning to lose was as much a part of life, as learning to win.

Look at some of what is happening around us today and tell me that this change was a good one.

I want my Bugs Back!!!!

Semper

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by semperfortis
I think it all ties into, and bear with me, a Liberal Agenda. While we have grown up celebrating "winners", our children are being conditioned to not win. Look at what we do now.

I somewhat agree with you here. There's absolutely always been a conditioning type agenda behind all of these cartoons.

Yes, nowadays toons are liberal. Perhaps Sponge Bob Square Pants is meant to condition kids to be more sympathetic to homosexuals when they grow up? .. and bear with me here, I'm being serious

The 80's stuff we used to watch; does somewhat looks like it tries to instill a winning attitude, but in a good way.. not to mention adding critical elements of morality, or science, or mythology, technology into the story; .. I could go on and on.. Not sure I'm making any sense here

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

You mean the ones where they have characters painted in blackface?

Yea.... How sensitive.

Oh and the Jetsons with blatant sexism and discrimination? Those were the good ol' days.

There is a reason those cartoons are not shown anymore.

Even sesame street has stopped showing early skits because they don't think showing kids playing in a construction site is such a good idea anymore.

I think what we have is much better. Morality is for sunday school. I don't need lesson in my cartoons.

Take a look at some of those cartoons, they are highly offensive now. Is the world overly pc? Yes. But these cartoons are behind the times.

I liked my eighties cartoons, in the eighties. I watch them now and I cringe.

You guys are also confusing age groups. Teletubbies were for pre-schoolers. He-man was for the 6 and up crowd.

And there is a moral to Spongebob, he is always kind, loyal, happy and full of life no matter what people or the world dish at him.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

ok, the simpsons, MIGHT fall in the category, but certainly not Family guy.

you can gain literally NO insight from family guy, but it is usually funny non the less.

I was conflicted to even post the Boondocks, but it does an EXCELLENT job of showing the true nature of the world today.

you want just kid shows?! ok, here we go;

Doug

Tiny Toons

Rockos Modern Life

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Honestly, I don't think Bugs Bunny is educational at all. I'm glad he's no longer around. I do like the Tiny Toons though.

And I don't think the Simpsons is such a bad cartoon, it's a pretty good satire actually. Also.. I'm not so sure that the Simpsons is targeted for kids in the first place.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Dino Riders!!! Aw man, I almost shed tears at that one. The nostalgia!

Does anyone remember the cartoon with the dinosaur drawings that came to life in the beginning? I remember that beginning so well but can't remember what show it was to.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Dino Riders!!! Aw man, I almost shed tears at that one. The nostalgia!

Does anyone remember the cartoon with the dinosaur drawings that came to life in the beginning? I remember that beginning so well but can't remember what show it was to.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Jazzyguy

your right, the simpsons isnt really designed for yougins, i was just replying to a response by the originator of this post.

But Tiny Toons was indeed the SPIT! a rather modern and fresh approach to life as a whole was present in virtually all episodes. I love it because i can watch it today and laugh just as much as i did when i was younger.

Assassin's Creed BTW, is an AWESOME video game.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by drsmooth23]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

Cool thread topic! I S and F'd ya! I remember all of these cartoons and I think the cartoons of present and those down the road will never match these. The cartoons now are horrible and hardly entertaining. remember actually learning morals from cartoons of the past? not anymore those days are gone. The cartoons of yesterday used to spark immagination I remember running around with my thundercats sword pretending to be Lionell and fighting mummra..
or pretending to be optimus prime, those were the days.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by alyosha1981]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
And there is a moral to Spongebob, he is always kind, loyal, happy and full of life no matter what people or the world dish at him.

Spongebob is mindless entertainment for zombie children there's no value there whatsoever.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join