It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Folding dealers shock car buyers with unpaid liens

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I had a similar incident happen with a car i bought 5 yrs ago from a used car lot. They never paid off the trade in. Even had the cops visit me over it however i kept the car because of my contract with the dealer. I did however have to sign an affidavit and send in copy of contract to help out the loan company trying to collect there money. Paid me a fee of 500.00 for helping them clear it up. The contract with the dealer does protect you legally. There only recourse is to track down the car and go from there thats all.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I had a bad experience some years ago.

I traded what was really a junker, it ran, but barely. I think I got something like $400.00 for it. The dealer never transferred the title to their name. Some weeks later, I got a notice in the mail, from the City of Minneapolis police dept. In it they claimed I had an unpaid parking ticket. I called them and explained to them that I had traded the car in to a dealership. Since the dealership didn't transfer the title, I asked what would happen if I didn't pay the ticket, they said a warrant for my arrest would be issued. Nice huh?

I paid the ticket, even though I didn't own the car, but I could have gone to the impound lot to get the car back, but since I didn't want it, nor did I have keys to it, why would I?

I suspect this type of thing goes on quite often.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Didn't we just give away tens of billions of dollars to the companies making the cars?
Shell out to produce more to "fix a problem," but stick the people that actually have the problem with a new bill?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Legally, unless stated otherwise in the fine print of your purchase contract (ALWAYS read the fine print!), once a person sells the car to a dealer with express contractual obligations to pay off the debt still owed on said car, they are off the hook legally.

That said, I have in the past two years received several calls from collection agencies stating I owed a debt that was never made. I have been harassed, threatened with repossession (of something I did not have
), my credit score threatened, and even threatened with court action.

I am not the victim of identity theft. Every single one of these attempts was by some fly-by-night company (normally a subsidiary of a larger 'reputable' firm, protected from their action by legal disclaimers) simply trying to collect debts that were not owed. The first one worried me, and I had some friends in the legal profession check it out for me. That's how I found out what was going on.

Now my response is "Please, go ahead. I will see you in court in my jurisdiction." If they continue to harass me, I block their number and call the phone company to lodge a harassment complaint.

Point is, even if they have no legal basis to go after you for the debt, they may well still try to bully you into paying it. There are clear and precise legal restrictions on what collection agencies/debt holders may and may not do, and how to protect yourself should you dispute a claimed debt. Most people do not know about these procedures, and they will pay the bill, owed or not, just because they think they have to. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PAY A DEBT YOU DO NOT OWE! Consult either an attorney or someone who works in collections or a credit repair agency to find out the ins and outs of your rights. Also, check the Internet for complaints. I found plenty in a few moments of searching.

I have to admit it is easy for me to identify what I actually owe and what I do not. I own my home free and clear. Yeah, it's an old trailer, but it keep the rain off me and a bit of protection from the temperatures. I own all four of my vehicles, a Chevy conversion van (needs a transmission, but i will not sell it for scrap iron), an Isuzu Rodeo (gotta fix the steering this spring), a Chevy Silverado pickup (runs great, but likes gas) and a Chevy LUV pickup (for most travel). Nope, they're not new, not shiny (well, the Chevy pickup is a little shiny
) and sleek, but they get me where I need to go. If one breaks, I fix it.

That's the only real solution here. Don't buy it if you can't pay cash. The name of that credit game is "You Lose". I know it sounds crazy, but I have done just that for the last 10+ years. Once you get your head above water, you'll never forget that feeling of being out of debt.

TheRedneck

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

Dave Ramsey is that you? Just kidding the only way to be truly self sufficient is not to borrow money. I broke that rule when i bought a house. However i only owe 30000 on a 180000.00 dollar loan beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Looking forward to the day when all I have to pay is water and electric.

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Hi
This is bond789
I am new to this forum. I think this site is providing information

about Car Dealer Forum News. Here I am providing information about

Cars. which car is the best to know that they require to see this site.
================================
bond789
Used Cars

posted on Feb, 19 2009 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Hi
This is bond789
I am new to this forum. I think this site is providing information

about Car Dealer Forum News. Here I am providing information about

Cars. which car is the best to know that they require to see this site.
================================
bond789
Used Cars

top topics

<< 1   >>

join