It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

more on survival tips

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If you see buzzards circling, somethings not dead yet, go see what food it might be, Cold? take a knife and cut the sod,roll it back and use it for a blanket. reach into a hole in the tree and find a hibernating squrell or it's nut cache. Anybody else got any tips that might prove useful when things go bad?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by korath

go sticking your hand in a hole in a tree looking for a hibernating squirrel you are putting yourself at risk. Contrary to popular belief squirrels do not hibernate. They are active all year long.

Most squirrels build nests called "dreys". They are made of twigs and leaves. The interior is lined with fur, feathers or other soft material for comfort. There are normally two exits in this type of nest, and they're built high in a tree between two strong branches. High enough to provide protection from ground predators, but not too high or the nest will be destroyed by the winds. Very few Squirrels will build in a hollow tree cavity. If they do you can bet its to high for you to reach in with out climbing the tree, which again puts you in more un-needed risk. there are ground based game that is easier and safer then a squirrel. Squirrels are a last resort unless you happen to have a fire arm, then the little tree rats are tops on my list.

Ground traps are OK for squirrels but they are pretty smart critters so unless its an exceptional well hidden trap it very hard to trap a squirrel. Been a squirrel hunter all my life.

To stay with the op my tip is to dry your feet when ever possible.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by angryamerican]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'd suggest making sure your tetanus shots are up to date if you plan to grab live squirrels with your hands. A series of rabies vaccinations may also be in order depending upon the squirrel.

Seriously though, AA's suggestion is a good one. If you get trench foot or frostbite, you're in a World of hurt as far as a Sitx scenario goes. Mobility is your greatest asset.

[edit on 3-2-2009 by LLoyd45]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by korath
Cold? take a knife and cut the sod,roll it back and use it for a blanket

Now that's summat new learned today

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican
reply to post by korath

go sticking your hand in a hole in a tree looking for a hibernating squirrel you are putting yourself at risk. Contrary to popular belief squirrels do not hibernate. They are active all year long.

]

Spot of clarification if you forgive me, American Grey Squirrels ( Hairy arsed tree rats in english) dont fully hibernate, but I believe British red squirrels do.

Oh and BTW as David Attenborough pointed out Squirrels are genetically identical to Brown Rats and can carry plague both bubonic and pneumonic

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Cant attest to the validity of the site but here is a site to support my hypothesis.

British Red Squirell

Squirrels do not hibernate, both species live in 'dreys' or nests, made of twigs, lined with soft hair moss, moss and dried grass. In cold periods in winter,squirrels often stay in these drays for several days. Their main foods are tree seeds (acorns, hazel nuts), tree flowers and shoots, mushrooms and fungi from under tree bark. During the winter, they live on their hidden stores of nuts and seeds.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I would also advise checking inside before sticking your hand in.

Nothing worse than rummaging around in a load of dead leaves only to find some tree viper clamped to your finger.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
okay, holes in trees bad, clearly

build your fire in a cut away section of sod when you are on the move, after you have put the fire out next morning replace the sod. it leaves almost 0 trace of your passing.

always keep your tinder dry.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
The only tips I have are what everyone should know.

Learn new skills and practice them.

Learn how to use all your equipment so that when the time comes, you will be ready.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Carry chapstick...in a pinch, when applied to tissue or cotton, makes fantastic kindling.

new topics

top topics

join