It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this? A Chemtrail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I found this picture the other day that I took with a 35mm a several years back. I have always wondered what it was so I decided I would share it with everyone here for your feedback.

I thought it may have been a chemtrail, but this is unlike any picture that I’ve ever seen of a chemtrail. For one thing, it started out like a ball and then spread out into the shape of a wing. There wasn’t a long stretched out trail at all. To give you an idea of the size and height, the picture was taken in northern Arizona, but I found out that some people in California saw it, too.

If I remember right, the moon was what gave it such a vivid glow and iridescence. It was really beautiful, but doubt it had a benign purpose.

Any way, I would like to hear your thoughts.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by apaulo]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Your link is broken, but from your description I would say its a cloud and not a Chem/Contrail at all. Of course it could be some other type of anomaly, hard to tell without seeing it. If you need help getting the photo up, let me know and I'll give you a hand.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
I successfully uploaded the pic to ATS, but now I can't view the file. I guess I'll try another pic hosting service... don't know what else I can do.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Got it...

Is that it?

[edit on 2/1/2009 by defcon5]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

After uploading it to ATS I clicked the image and it said the file wasn't found after a successful upload. Whatever. After several deletes and uploads I finally decided to use imageshack.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I have seen something that looks exactly like this before and it is no chemtrail created by a jet. It is a smoke trail left by a simple bottle rocket when fired from a tube. You must have snapped the photo just as the rocket exited the tube or bottle that you launched it from. The red/brown colored smoke says it all.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Okay then if that is the image, then I am pretty sure that I know what it is.
Its a normal high altitude contrail that has been ripped up by high level wind shear, taken with a telescopic lens. Here is an example of another one:

www.jetphotos.net...
Due to the high altitude, the air is extremely cold up there, so you are going to get a lot of ice and the neat colorations.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

I don't think so, because if you look very closely you can see stars in the photo. If its not what I said it is my second guess would be that it is the vapor trail from a multi-stage rocket launch. They leave similar contrails with the same spectacular coloring.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
defcon5

I’m pretty sure this wasn’t a contrail. It did start out small, but after I took the picture, it began to spread out for miles.

I think I took another picture of it. If I can find it I will post it.

SpaDe_

Wow, what a surprise. I honestly didn’t expect the validity of my story to be questioned, but I guess you’re just going to have to trust me. If I were going to lie about a story though, I think I’d be able to do better. For starters, I would come up with something far more amazing.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by apaulo

First off, nice photography
looks very cool, but I do not think it is a chemtrail or a contrail. It does not seem like a jet stream either, to me personally it looks like Flare smoke, the after smoke that you would see after a flare is in the air and descending. The way it lingers and the formation of it, plus the extra vibrant light and the moon as you mentioned (plus it started at out small, chances are it was a flare), thats my estimated guess.

Nice thread Apaulo..

[edit on -06002009-02-01T21:16:55-06:00282009bAmerica/ChicagoSun, 01 Feb 2009 21:16:55 -0600, 1 by TheMythLives]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by apaulo

I used to live in Phoenix, and I recall one morning when I was headed to work at about 5:30 a.m. there was a missile test launch that lit up the sky. From what I recall it was mentioned on the news, and yes, people from other states could see this. I think this was in 1998 or so.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by apaulo

How did you take that picture, its very high altitude?
Contrails can spread out into normal cloud cover, as they fundamentally are clouds.
Staged Rockets make even funnier clouds, the fuel escapes when the staging occurs, and makes really weird cloud formations. I watched one take off from the Cape last year, and by the time it reached me on the other side of the state, it was a huge mass that glowed in the dark morning sky. Someone actually called me to tell me that there was a huge, glowing, fish symbol in the sky that morning. In reality is was the fuel, and it was at such an extreme altitude, that the sun was able to hit it over the horizon causing it to glow in the dark. As it blew across the state it spread out and make a weird roller-coaster track looking cloud of shimmering rainbow colors. It lasted for many hours until the wind blew it out over the Gulf, and out of sight.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMythLives
reply to post by apaulo

Nice thread Apaulo..

Thanks, The Myth Lives, I appreciate the feedback and the comments.

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
reply to post by apaulo

I used to live in Phoenix, and I recall one morning when I was headed to work at about 5:30 a.m. there was a missile test launch that lit up the sky. From what I recall it was mentioned on the news, and yes, people from other states could see this. I think this was in 1998 or so.

WOW, Enthralled Fan, you got it! I wasn’t expecting to get an answer so quickly, but the date and time are right on. I was thinking that I took the picture in 98’ but I wasn’t sure, and now I recall that it was the sun that lit it up, not the moon. Since it was so high the sun was able to strike it way before sunrise.
Thanks.
Case closed.

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by apaulo

How did you take that picture, its very high altitude?

I used a Canon 35mm SLR and luck. I may have used my 28 to 80 mm lens, but I wasn’t the greatest at taking pictures with it. ((What would I do now without my digital?))

Anyway, thanks for your time and input.

top topics

join