It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raw Food, Best Survival Diet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Now when it comes to raw food, I'm talking about greens, now you can eat raw meat (or cooked meat), but if your on the go, raw greens are best and they are plentiful, they are everywhere, there are hundreds if not thousands of raw vegans (people who only eat raw plants) out there and the majority of them are just fine, they are living great, run in marathons, work out, are body builders ect., it's all about what's right for you really, if you want to eat meat, I have nothing against it, but being a raw vegan has helped many in the past (it can reverse aging, cure cancer, diabetes, ect.), you can get plenty if not more protein from vegetables than you can from meat, you can also get plenty of b12 if you go the raw food way and don't wash them.

It's a lot easier to find some raw greens than to take the time to create a bow/spear track and hunt down an animal, tracking and hunting wastes a lot of calories and energy, I can go anywhere really and pick a plant off the ground and eat it right there (unless a bunch of chemicals have been sprayed on it).

So this may be one thing you may want to think about doing even now, if your on a hike and forgot to bring lunch, pick a plant and eat it, get familiar with plants too, there are many medicinal plants too.

And of course ther are many more.

-Lahara

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Here's a youtube channel called EatTheWeeds, this guy knows his stuff.

www.youtube.com...

So this might be another good resource for you to look into.

-Lahara

[edit on 1-2-2009 by TheRandom1]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I would like a recommendation for someone living in a city about how/where to buy organic raw foods in bulk and keep them from going bad. I don't find myself able to go to the store very often (WholeFoods here), and when I do, I typically don't have the money to spend on the really good stuff.

Is there a recommended book to eating raw in a logical manner? I'm talking veggies and fish.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Is there a really good book on the subject, especially on raw greens that are found in the wild that are edible. Raw foods in general are the best for health, and I've been collecting recipes for the blender. But as a survival food, I think this is going to rule. Along with protein from insects, like worms and grubs. This of course being something I think I might die before eating. But if anyone has any recipes that would make insects more appealing that may be good to share as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I can honestly say that going raw vegan has been the best thing I have done in my life. I won't blast into a testimonial, but I will say that I am eternally grateful to have made this switch.

As for not being able to go to the grocery store often, my advice would be to get your hands on some of those green bags they sell everywhere.

They actually work! Veggies that would normally be spent after a week, have lasted up to 3 weeks for me in those bags!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
But how much of a life-altering change is it for your actual lifestyle?

I mean, I hate to sound so lazy, but I really can't revolve my life around my food. I work 70 hours a week, and outside salads that have probably been sprayed, I don't know where to begin.

Having said that, I really want to try and am willing to go to the lengths needed to see if it works for me. Not vegan, because I need sushi in my life, but outside that, completely raw. Pescaterian I suppose.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   
Bear Grills (yes I know his a big fraud!
) said once that you can eat ANY fresh water fish raw - none of them a poisonous... Now I'm not gonna eat anything I can't ID, and I only really know a bit about fish... Can any one give more info on that? I know certain salt water fish are poisonous.

(sorry if this is a little off topic - I know the thread is based on plant life)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Man, you work too much lol.

Well, I gotta say, if your in a city and don't time to go out into the wild o get some plants, try buying organic, NEVER EVER buy iceburg lettuce, it's a big time rip off, romaine lettuce, spinach, and a lot of other leafy greens are good, the darker the better. if you do find time to go into the woods or country, dig up some dandelions, put em in a pot or your back yard, use the leaves in a salad raw, top it with the flower heads, you can eat the roots too (I think you have to boil them first though, can't remember). Cattails are awesome, they are the god of wild plants, nearly any part at any time of the cattail is edible.

Sorry guys, I don't know of any books, all I know is what my dad taught me and what I've learned on the internet, I bet on amazon.com you can find a good book on the subject.

helpmefindtheway, good on you bro, I'm still not vegan or vegetarian, I started it and then quit for a while, I want to become a raw vegan though, I will be becoming vegan soon though, I'm going to grow an heirloom garden this year and once I start that I'm going vegan.

-Lahara

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

Yeah, I hate Bear Grills (if that is his real name), he can go drink his on piss.

-Lahara

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Hmm, maybe I'll start a thread on BTS and ask around. I think I'm going to try a 90% raw diet. I really have always wanted to try it, but I know that socially, I'm not willing to be the wet blanket who can't eat at a restaurant with my friends.

It will also prepare me if TSHTF I suppose!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:13 PM
link   
My brother in law is a vegan or was for that matter. He stopped because he became ill. He wasn't getting enough nutrients. I think he was taking vitamins for supplements but that soon ended and he went back to a basic vegetarian.. Raw however, maybe the vitamins would have stayed in the food.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by etombo]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by etombo

Yeah, when you cook veggies they lose a LOT of there nutrients, eating raw as much as possible is the best, if you do it long enough you enjoy it more, in america, everything we have is fatty, cooked and nearly completely devoid of all nutrition, thanks to greedy people and laziness.

-Lahara

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I've been thinking alot lately about going natural green (probably 75% from my woods and yard not the grocery store). I just can't give up fish and the occasional burger but I have a question. I've got alot of herbs in my garden and of course the dandilions in my lawn. So does anyone have any suggestions on a natural fertilizer that I could use so I wouldn't have to choose between a nice looking lawn and green goodies?

[edit on 1/2/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Make a compost pile, it's pretty simple, natural and you don't have to spend any money. The things you should put in it are things like raked leaves, vegetable scraps and a little ash. Fertilizer can be dangerous for several reasons, one is the fact that the poo comes from cows or chickens that you can bet have been GMOed or eat GMO food, you don't want that kinda karma with your plants, also, if you want to grow some good veggies got o rareseeds.com they're awesome.

-Lahara

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Great books are:

Victoria Boutenko's green for life. This book shows you how to make delicious green smoothies using dark green leafy leuttuce or any lettuce, i especially love the sweet taste of spinach and banana smoothies.It is the best book i ever bought discussing it in a detailed and scientific manner.

Another good book if you want to do the whole hog is 80/10/10 book and raw food propaganda

For spiritual side to the diet i recommend The ringing cedars collection

For beauty i recommend eating for beauty by David wolfe and another one by Author Tonya Zavasta

if you just want to transition i recommend authors Natalia Rose, Leslie Kenton and Carol Alt but the first 2 much better.

If you just google alot of raw food information or youtube it you will come across alot about raw foods.

[edit on 17-2-2009 by Applesandoranges]

new topics

top topics

join