It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where did all the Icicles go??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Where did they all go.............

I remeber them as a child:

small stumpy dinky ones:

thin fragile ones:

sharp smiky ones:

I rember breaking them off windowledges, eaves of roofs and trees... where did they go?? Haven'r seen any for years or is it that i just don't notice???

I heard a rumour that Jack wants them back!

www.dailymail.co.uk...

en.wikipedia.org...

I guess we just don't have the same weather - i tknow it still gets icy and snows, but it isn't like it used to be ;o(

But hey, snowed today, and that was the inspiration for this thread. I just had this random though of braking off icicles, the pictues are just taken from the internet but it made me think i should go out and take some of my own. If it settles over the next day or so i hope to take some photo's of 'winter'- thought i'd already missed the oppotunity for this year. All four seasons are beautiful in they're own right, but winter has that 'magical' feel about it. I'll post them here, but wondered if they are any of you who wish to contribute?

[edit on 1-2-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I have a number of icicles which are hovering at the five foot range right outside my window. It's pretty cool. In the event of snowbeast attack I have ready made weapons.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MCoG1980

apparently in the SE (south east) tonight/tom morning we getting 4-5 inches of snow!!! WAHOOOOO.... i hope so

But yeah.... where are the icicles??

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Cool isn't although jus ran out of gas, not so cool (soon will be :lol

There usesd to huge icicles which formed on our garage roof. I'm going to try to get a pic of frozen spider web in the morning - very pretty, like when there is a dew too ;o)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
iciles form on houses that have heat escaping from the roof. Now a days, most homes have better insulation and newer houses are almost free completly of them.

As for the trees, well its only january. The stuff needs to get warm, then cold again. Wait till End of feb.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by spliff4020

you know, i didn't know that, but it makes perfect sense

We seem to get as colder winters now in the UK but i'll be a bit more observant now and see if i can spy any. Thanks for the info ;o)

[edit on 2-2-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Maybe, it's the lack of rain in the atmosphere?
Is there many places that have a lot of rain, throughout the year, anymore?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Man, yeah there is
ever been to manchester UK? I;ve been numerous times, each time it rained. I was on a night out there a few years ago. I was in awe of the sky. It was 2 am and the sky was this orangey red colour - it never got dark. Weird feeling. I was walking back to my sisters house in Cheetham Hill from the city centre, feet hurt ;o(
I used to talk to alot of people in Sweden, one lived in Lulea who told me in Summer it never gets dark. I figure thats were the lyrics in the roxette song June afternoon coom from. Cool.
Where i live, its pitch black, eerie but wonderful, you see lots of stars.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by MCoG1980]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Thanks.
I was just wondering.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

I'd be just guessing but probably the further north you get, and depending on whether its inland, coastal, ect?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
YAY.... i found some mate!!

In my mate's back garden!!
Dripping from his gazebo!!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Awhh thanks - we have proof! Like i said the ones i saw melted with the sun coming up. saw that this morning, went for a walk just as it started to get light, I was chasing the sun for a pic as it was coming up. I think i was going in the wrong direction
but was too late to turn back. I should of gone up the hill not down it

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

See, who needs a bloody roof?

roof schmoof!!

Who said it was only on roofs....nope, sorry...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   

could be right though, i didn't see any hanging off any houses, i think he has something with that insulation theory. ;o)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   

I'm only messin'.

I'm sure they form in many random places, wherever water is dripping and it's really cold

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

My kitchen sink?????????

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

yep....take a pic and lemme know

top topics

join