It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Font of Youth" Found-Immortal Jellyfish Invading the Worlds Oceans

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I thought you may be interested in this.

A while back Micho Kaku said on one of his shows that crocodiles/alligators have this too, they can live forever if they get no disease, etc. He was talking about this as a future possibility, if we can figure out how it regenerates it's DNA, we may be able to do the same. Apparently this DNA regeneration is the key, as the degeneration is what causes aging.

I thought it sounded a little wild, so did some basic research online, it seemed to be a matter of dispute in the past, but Michio sounded like he had some new information on this, and he's a pretty good source when it comes to science.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
OK, that does it, the Jellyfish have got to go. Somebody call Al Gore! Jellyfish credits anyone? I will personally kill Jellyfish for $1 each. Start sending the money if you want the world to survive the Jellyfish Invasion

Sorry, I could not resist.

Interesting post. Thanks for the links

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Interesting syncromystic connection with the theories that someone already knows about eternal life and is keeing the secret to profit, remember Dr. Who you tv nerds? Well in one of the latest episodes, in manhatten the isle of atum or ratheer sacred conciousness out of the sea. In the sewers they find a dead jellyfish like creature which used to be a humanoid called Dalek who live i metal floating suits with toilet suction scanner weapons. And they came from a system near galifrea, Dr. Whos home.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by mastermind77]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

They are indeed edible. Just not very many fish can eat alot of them and if it gets too overpopulated then something will happen and nature will kill off alot of them. This means thousands of jellyfish washing up on shore!!! ugh

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Since these things live in warmer waters, there's plenty of colder seas where these things won't be spreading to.

An article I read said that these things mostly spread by being introduced to other areas, and not by swarming in mass numbers across the globe.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by operation mindcrime

When we hear of an alien invasion we always think of little green men with ray guns...Whatif: the invaders were a lifeform such as this innocent jellyfish, brought here because of our vast oceans. Maybe we have already been invaded and they live below the ocean.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
If scientists were able to biologically engineer humans with those properties, we'd have to colonize more planets right away, we'd be multiplying at a rapid pace...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
There is aleady a thread about this...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by alienj

That's indeed a possibility i have pondered on a couple of times before. But here's an other interesting thought....
Given the spreading rate of us humans. wouldn't we agree that mankind could verywell be an invasion of some sort to all life that came before us???? We only forgot were we came from but we're spreading like a virus regardless of climate and geographical conditions....

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Next_Heap_With

I didnt see that, sorry to the OP, I did search but not by the Latin name My bad, however must be said some good science here from Ravenshadow and some of the information I have posted is new to this.

Lol Blaine if I had a $ for every .... ive lol

They will tax them next, immortality taxation.

Kind regards,

Elf.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Watch this vid. Thought it was interesting.
The article about the jellyfish is below the vid.

dontchemtrailmebro.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Portugoal

If these jellyfish are immortal than they must have been around a long time.

Doesn't follow. The research was published in the late Nineties. Maybe the jellyfish acquired this ability through mutation a few thousand generations ago. Jellyfish generations don't last very long.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
And you remember the myth if you eat watermelon seed, a watermelon will grow in your stomach?

I can see it now, the jellyfish never dies, and reproduces in the stomach,lol

Ama

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Well what I have herd is that we were suppose to live for eternity in the Garden of Eden, so why are we going to go for it when God said no to us? What gives us the right to do this? why,... wait thats right its for the fear that we might die and never see loved ones again.

Here is my take on it, if you lived to be immortal and some loved ones didn't you would become lonely eventually. Look at movies that have people live beyond normal human capabilities, they become said. And they will one to die one day but can't because every time you have you reach sexual maturity you become a kid again.

If scientist could make it that after we reach a certain age like 50 or 60 we would regenerate back to a kid like state but have the same Intelligence that we had before without killing us.

The think that I have come to realize after reading Ecclesiastes 1:18 (yes I know am quoting the bible you'll see) "For in much wisdom is much grief, A he who increases Knowledge increases sorrow." This is so true, because the more you know the more you know it will come to pass or this is how it really should have been done or you just become a relic to the people of the younger generation as to go for all questions for anything.

I don't think that we would do well as immortals on earth, maybe if we can find a way to take the genes from the "Water Bear" to survive in space without Oxygen, and the genes of this Jelly Fish, and the genes of the "ompeii worm" (look here www.mwt.net... ) and then we could do some real extreme space survival.

there is my thoughts on it.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:42 AM
link   
That's really cool! I've read about some species of turtle/tortoise that exhibit what is called 'negligible senescence', where the cells basically stop aging, but even in those animals, they don't reverse the aging process.

Just to answer a point some have brought up, this jellyfish, and the turtle/tortoise mentioned above, and other animals like this, are not immortal in the sense that they are invincible. They simply don't die of old age. They can still die by massive trauma, starvation, disease, and all the usual suspects. The 'immortal' part comes along in that if they don't run into any sort of trouble, they can just keep on living. Contrast that to a person, for instance, who after a certain point is pretty much doomed to die of cancer or organ failure or something. It's why people just don't live much past 100, no matter how well they live, how many skilled doctors they have, or how lucky they are in avoiding accidents.

posted on Jun, 24 2009 @ 07:11 PM
link   
For Future reference I wanted to link a interesting human story on this subject posted on ATS today by Reject

Doctors Baffled By Girl Who Does not Age

I wonder if the same process is happening, maybe her DNA is replicating in the same way, though of course she does not mate and such like, die before coming back.

Interesting indeed.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
This is their leader.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
After seeing this thread, I remembered all the crop circles popping up recenlty including one that is of a jellyfish. I wonder if it's coincidence?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe
Well if it cant die naturally, we will just have to find a way to kill it! Isnt that the human way?

Unfortunately, yes we would have to find a way to kill them before they potentially endanger all the other critters we know and love. I would rather a jellyfish holocaust than the extinction of flipper.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tim1989

Lol that is one scary big Jelly eh?

However this is concerning as said, when we see many lakes and coastal areas also being closed off or dying to other such things as Toxic Algae and such like, a real change is happening in the worlds waterways and it is away from diversity and a balanced nature towards boom and bust cycles with fewer organisms.

Kind Regards

Elf

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join