It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Saudi Arabia beheads man convicted of murder

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
My apologies, as I said, I read the study itself years ago. I do not have a link, and to tell the truth, I probably read this before there was an internet as we know it now.

My interests are varied, so I read a lot.

The information is out there, as this was showing the documentation of the doctors themselves.

You lose your head by guillotine, you have an awareness for a minute and a half on the average, according to their hundreds of experiments.

Everyone seems to think that when one is exposed to a violent death, that death is instantaneous.

Not so.

Electrocution? You are literally fried, cooked, and sometimes charred.

Hanging? Same thing. The body is terminated by the breaking of the neck, but consciousness is there for a few moments.

I've seen a man with his heart shot out continue for a few moments to walk.

Death isn't as instantaneous and certain as is often portrayed.

Ask a doctor.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:21 PM
link   
well if the person that is beheaded is still aware, they definitely arent feeling pain because they have no lower half to be able to

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

People do experience phantom pains, I used to live with this bloke missing a finger, he said it still itched and he lost it like 20 years previously... I'm sure that would be the same multiplied by a million for having your head chopped off!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by secretagent woooman
Yes it is effective but would you want to live in a backward and barbaric culture like that?

I wouldn't if I were a witch.

Saudi Arabia decapitates woman for 'having supernatural powers' :

[edit on 02/10/08 by karl 12]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
reply to post by Swatman

People do experience phantom pains, I used to live with this bloke missing a finger, he said it still itched and he lost it like 20 years previously... I'm sure that would be the same multiplied by a million for having your head chopped off!

how are they going to show emotion? they no longer have vocal chords

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Swatman

The doctors used the only response method they could. They would call the person's name, and they eyes would open and look at them.

The eyes would close, and they would continue until there was no clearly definitive response.

Just like a person who is strangled, the brain eventually uses up the oxygen in the cells, and goes to sleep.

Dirt nap sleep.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Too barbaric imo,then again im against capital punishment all together.But thats Saudi Arabia for you,been that way for a very long time and will continue to be,too entrenched in their culture/legal system.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
reply to post by aboxoftrix

would drastically reduce budgetary costs.. I like it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dooper
That's the one part of Saudi law that I really, really like. And if it takes two swings, so what?

My first suggestion would be to get a heavier, two-handed sword, and swing away.

They don't mess around either. You don't see folks on a Saudi death row for years, and even decades.

You crack me up Dooper. You are truly are opposite of me since I am also against the death penalty.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix

Hmm.. only 8 so far this year?
I would guess this tactic works fairly well at keeping these type of offenses to a minimum.
I've heard of this before just thought I would pass the information on to those that haven't.
What are your thoughts on this practice?
Do any of you think this would be a solution to America's crime problem?

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

aboxoftrix, how are you doing dude? Trust the JPost to publicise this execution. You would think the Jerusalem Post would have enough on their plates reporting on the wanton slaughter of innocent Palestinians.

Did you know that until the 1960s in the UK, when we had the death penalty, beheadings by the sword was strictly reserved for royalty and aristocracy? Us common folk only got hangings.

I suppose both forms of dispatching murderers is a lot kinder than being electrocuted in the US and being buggered to death in Israel.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by pikypiky

HOWEVER, it would mean countless innocents put to death (after the fact).

I think that is an extreme use of the word "countless"- whilst no human system is 100% perfect, to pretend that in the west it aint gonna be the guilty executed 99.9% of the time is not sane

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
If I am not mistaken, we have a member here at ATS who is from Saudi. Maybe that member could provide some insight into this.

Gladly

Granted quite a harsh penalty. One that many of us here disagree with.

But two things I have to mention; for one, there's no doubt that crime levels are quite low here as a result. And two, the victims family have some jurisdiction in this matter, they can put an end to it(either by agreeing to compensation, or for free). But when the murder is outright deliberate..and proven to be such.. I'm not sure the penalty can be pleaded against in such a case.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:04 AM
link   
To be beheaded by the sword used to be a luxury here in England and other countries during the medieval period and beyond. Usually you got done in by an axe, where by the executioner would need several swings to severe the head. A trained executioner could lop off a head with a sword in one go.

As for the conciousness debate with the guillotines, I too have heard reports that some persons appeared to display signs of conciousness for a breif period after "the event", but no where near 8 minutes. The average time of such responses was only in tens of seconds.

It is impossible for the brain to remain functioning after 8 minutes of seperation, mainly due to the massive drop in blood pressure resulting from the beheading, which would leave the head devoid of any oxygen carrying blood and relying on what they had in the cells.

In cases like this, brain death will usually occur in less than a minute, with unconciousness occuring very rapidly after the severing of the head.

Audiences to guillotinings told numerous stories of blinking eyelids, speaking, moving eyes, movement of the mouth, even an expression of "unequivocal indignation" on the face of the decapitated Charlotte Corday when her cheek was slapped. Anatomists and other scientists in several countries have tried to perform more definitive experiments on severed human heads as recently as 1956. Inevitably, the evidence is only anecdotal. What appears to be a head responding to the sound of its name, or to the pain of a pinprick, may be only random muscle twitching or automatic reflex action, with no awareness involved. At worst, it seems that the massive drop in cerebral blood pressure would cause a victim to lose consciousness in several seconds.[9]

Wiki - Source

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by masonwatcher
since I am also against the death penalty.

Well, at least we agree on something.

Found this interesting link which details execution in Saudi Arabia:

Saudi Arabia follows Shariah or Islamic law which allows the death penalty. The death penalty is usually handed down on crimes such as sex crimes, drug crimes, murder as well as others.
Some crimes which could also result in a death penalty include witchcraft, sabotage, corruption, distribution and consumption of alcohol.

The preferred manner of death is execution by the sword and beheading the accused. This is typically performed in a public square on Friday’s. Towards being more compassionate, the accused is usually drugged before the public execution takes place.

Sometimes instead of an execution, the accused would have the option to pay blood money or “diyya” to the family of a victim.
Per wikipedia, paying of blood money is specifically defined as “blood money is the fine paid by the killer or his family or clan to the family or the clan of the victim (compare the abolished traditions of weregild and główczyzna).
It is unlawful for a believer to kill a believer except if it happens by accident. And he who kills a believer accidentally must pay Diyat to the heirs of the victim except if they forgive him. The tradition finds repeated endorsement in Islamic tradition; several instances are recorded in the Hadith, which are the acts of Muhammad.”

americanbedu.com...

Overview:
www.capitalpunishmentuk.org...

Methods:
Saudi Arabia publicly beheaded 98 men and 1 woman for murder and drug offences during 2008, down from 157 in 2007. Saudi Arabia is the only country that normally uses beheading.

Women.
Up to 30 women have been put to death during the year, four by hanging in Iran and one shot and two by beheading in Saudi Arabia.
21 unnamed women are reported to have been shot in North Korea for various offences against the state.
Indonesia and China have executed one woman each by shooting and Somalia one girl by stoning.

Juveniles.
It is thought that eight juveniles have been hanged in Iran during 2008 and a 13 year old girl stoned to death in Somalia following a trial by an Islamic court .

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by StellarX
I am against capitol punishment ( getting rid of the 'evidence' so to speak) but these people are practiced and i don't see how you are going to feel the first ( without in a instant) or the second blow. These countries are not 'crime free' because of these methods of punishment but because of their culture/religious traditions.

Stellar

the two are inextricably linked

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion

Originally posted by RFBurns
If I am not mistaken, we have a member here at ATS who is from Saudi. Maybe that member could provide some insight into this.

Gladly

Granted quite a harsh penalty. One that many of us here disagree with.

But two things I have to mention; for one, there's no doubt that crime levels are quite low here as a result. And two, the victims family have some jurisdiction in this matter, they can put an end to it(either by agreeing to compensation, or for free). But when the murder is outright deliberate..and proven to be such.. I'm not sure the penalty can be pleaded against in such a case.

Thanks for the info Maj!
Its always good to get info from the right source.

2nd line goes here.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by aboxoftrix

Do any of you think this would be a solution to America's crime problem?

www.jpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

America's crime problem? Where have you been? The murder rate in America is at a 43 year LOW. The media would have you believe something else, but hey - thats what sells.

As for capital punishment - I don't agree with it here in the U.S.. My reason is simple - this justice system can not be trusted enough to give them decision over life and death for anyone. We have the technology to protect the public from murderers, theres no reason to kill anyone. I'm sure everyone has heard the stories of all the people taken off death row when DNA evidence overturned their conviction.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by slicobacon

Good post - found this interesting article about the uselessness of the death penalty:

States with the death penalty have consistently had higher murder rates than states without the death penalty.
If the death penalty was acting as a deterrent to murder, one might expect that the gap between these two groups would lessen over a long period of time as states using the death penalty obtained an advantage in reducing murders.
However, the gap has grown larger over the past 18 years.

deathpenaltynews.blogspot.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Savage barbaric acts produces savages, so what do you want a World full of savages. We should either learn to correct out mistakes and remove want and need and greed then there would be no need for such savage acts would there.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Savage barbaric acts produces savages, so what do you want a World full of savages. We should either learn to correct out mistakes and remove want and need and greed then there would be no need for such savage acts would there.

That theory kind of explains Israeli savages.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join