It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel vows "disproportionate" response to rockets

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Israel vows "disproportionate" response to rockets

www.reuters.com

JERUSALEM, Feb 1 (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert threatened on Sunday a "disproportionate response" to the continued firing of rockets into Israel from the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.

There have been sporadic rocket attacks by militants on southern Israeli communities and several Israeli air strikes in the Gaza Strip since a truce came into effect on Jan. 18 following a 22-day Israeli offensive in the territory.

At least two rockets struck southern Israel on Sunday, causing no damage or casualties.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
news.sky.com

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It seems that Israel isn't able to see that the worlds support for it is hitting all time lows. At which point will the world say - Israel you will stop and start negotiating in good faith. I don't believe Israel will ever back down they have amongst the most aggressive leaders.

Another interesting point from the article is :

"Olmert's comments were echoed by Foreign Minister Tzipi Livni, a candidate for prime minister in Israel's Feb. 10 election. Olmert, who quit in a corruption scandal in September but stayed on as caretaker prime minister, is not running.

"Israel will respond," said Livni, who replaced Olmert as head of the ruling, centrist Kadima party. "This is my position. It was clear before, during and after the operation, and this is how I will conduct myself as prime minister."

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mynaeris
It seems that Israel isn't able to see that the worlds support for it is hitting all time lows.

When you are constantly under attack you don't care what the world thinks. And the only way to win a war is with a 'disproportionate' measure. Tit for tat wars never end. One side has to use overwhelming force. Israel is stronger than Hamas. This stronger response to the constant missile attacks against Israeli civilians is to be expected.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mynaeris

to the continued firing of rockets into Israel from the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.

Im sorry but did you fail to see this part?

Do you have no sympathy for the innocent people living in Southern Israel who are under constant attack while Hamas does nothing to stop these attacks?

What exactly do you expect Israel to do when they have said STOP IT NOW.

Seriously. After awhile I dont blame Israel for their response. I too would get pissed off and retaliat if I kept having rockets shot into my yard.

If Gazans are sick of Israel then go after the leaders and military not the innocent people.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by inked up

Did you miss the part about "DISPROPORTIONATE"? For disproportionate read more killings of women and children and innocents. I have no problem with Israel taking on Hamas, I do have a problem with any number of other issues, especially a volatile nation like Israel having so much nuclear armament!

It's all fine to say these people should attack the terrorists. Should the jews in concentration camps have attacked the Nazis holding them captive? I realize that is not the best example , but many hundreds of people killed last time had no power to do anything about it.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Negotiate what, exactly? Theyve done that for years. Its leads nowhere. I support Israel. I say bomb em to dust and let them throw pepples. enough is enough.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Those firework rockets are being fired in retaliation of a fifty year, forceful Israeli settlement invasion into Palestinian territory.

So what, the Palestinians are to bend over and take it all the time?

Fair enough, you support the Israeli cause but I hope you can see that there are two sides to the story and Israel is the destabilizing influence.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Those firework rockets are being fired in retaliation of a fifty year, forceful Israeli settlement invasion into Palestinian territory.

Fair enough, you support the Israeli cause but I hope you can see that there are two sides to the story and Israel is the destabilizing influence.

Ok, 50 years. First of all please tell what a "palestinian" is. Its nothing more than egyptians put there to stop the jews from reclaiming the land.

Second of all, Isreal has bent over backwards for them. The last peace talks, Isreal gave them EVERY SINGLE THING THEY ASKED FOR!! Including the gaza strip. Within a day of them getting Gaza, the started firing rockets into israel.

The "palestinians" are a backwards, ignorant bunch of scum that cant seem to make that leap into to 20th century and stop acting like annoying little brothers. Personally, I wish Israel would invade and take them over. End it all, right now.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
both sides look really honestly childish and a bit comical and honestly those people need to come to america see how we get down throw some dice hit up some parties

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Do you realize that the rockets (which can kill) are hitting innocent civilian areas? They are not hitting military targets. They are not hitting Israeli leaders. THEY ARE HITTING INNOCENT CIVILIAN AREAS.

And you defend this?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
When all the world said that Israel's latest war against Gaza was "DISPROPORTIONATE", the Israel Gov said it was not, so I wonder, If they felt there actions was ok the last time, What do they mean now, when they say they will act "DISPROPORTIONATE", Is that bigger than last time?
Thats scare's me. What do they mean?

[edit on 1/2/09 by freemindmine]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

Forceful? Israel has nothing to do with it , it was voted on and given to them by the UN. They Jews didn't take it over. You really need to read the actual time-line of events that brought us to this point. This has nothing to do with land, its a war has been going on since Abraham's wife Sarah had a child. Its all some ridiculous religious BS, which outside Arab governments have been using the Palestinian people for there BS agenda. Ohh evil Jews.. How come Egypt or Jordan or any other of their sister countries won't take them in or help.

ugggh

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spliff4020

Yea, wipe them out. Thats the right way to do it. Invade anyone that you don't agree with, simply because you have more money than them.

All Palestinians are scum?? Thats a nice generalization you have going there.

You obviously have never had to deal with any kind of sectarianism, occupation or ethnic cleansing. Forgive me for having a soft spot for them but my country and family history is rife with it.

Palestinians/Egyptians.. whatever you want to call them, were displaced in the first place. Obviously there will be some extremists looking for revenge. This might be a couple of hundred people in the whole region. That doesn't mean the rest deserve the crap they get.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
reply to post by Dermo

Forceful? Israel has nothing to do with it , it was voted on and given to them by the UN. They Jews didn't take it over.

You are dead right, BUT Israeli settlements have expanded at an enormous rate, forcefully in many cases, this is what I am saying.

I never mentioned anything about the creation of the Israeli state.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Disproportionate responses is the only way to convince hard-headed, stupid people.

Time and again, Israel has given, and given, and given, and time and again, they are rewarded by attacks on their civilians.

If someone is pulling for Gaza, and wants the violence to end, then you need to get off your ass and go convince the Gazans, led by Hamas, to knock it off.

This will not end until one side ultimately wipes the other out.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by inked up

Do you realize that the rockets (which can kill) are hitting innocent civilian areas? They are not hitting military targets. They are not hitting Israeli leaders. THEY ARE HITTING INNOCENT CIVILIAN AREAS.

And you defend this?

Click

And are you defending this?

Many of you are missing my point. I am not advocating the killing of innocent people. There are two sides to this story and the "Palestinians" have gotten a raw deal.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Read this and weep, if you are able to feel empathy for the suffering of arab people.

"It was inevitable that the Gaza-Warsaw comparison would be made, especially once the war started. It is so difficult to get the mainstream media in the West, and particularly in the US, to pay attention to the suffering of Palestinians, that many seem to have concluded that only the most powerful comparisons will get peoples' attention.

There are, indeed, disturbing similarities between the two situations.

The Warsaw Ghetto was composed of Jews forced out of their homes and herded into one small section of the city.

Gaza is composed largely of refugees and their descendents, most of whom were forced to flee their homes during the 1948 war.

Like the Ghetto, in the last decade the Gaza Strip has been surrounded by a barrier that has literally imprisoned 1.5 million in a territory that has become one of the most densely populated in the world.

Once the war started, Gazan civilians were trapped within a war zone, while Israel - crucially, with Egyptian help - had full command of the territory in and around Gaza. This situation prompted comparisons with the absolute Nazi control of the Ghetto and its surrounding area during the uprising.

Increasing restrictions on food, water and medical supplies by the Israeli military, and severe levels of malnutrition and unemployment "evoked" memories of the Nazi's slow strangulation of the Ghetto, as Richard Falk described it.

Even the tunnels of Gaza have been compared to those used by Jews to smuggle food and other essential goods into the Ghetto from the "Aryan side".

Aljazeera

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   

reply to post by spliff4020

That doesn't mean the rest deserve the crap they get.

Well there are 2 trains of thought, 1 They voted Hamas in.. but IMHO, I agree the PEOPLE, do not deserve the crap their government is doing to them, Israel has on several occasions said they would recognize them as a state and here is this land lets live together. it has been the Arab side which will not , when it comes right down to it, budge. And I blame outside Arab forces for using this conflict to promote anti-Jewish rhetoric, and the poor, uneducated people of Palestine eat that stuff up, can't blame Arab/Muslims for your problems.. Who are you going to blame for them?

Every time they come close to peace, what has happened? A rocket has hit Israel they have been provoked in some way. Peace puts the Arab world in a bad spot, and leave the terrorists and all the funding that goes with it out of a job. its as simple as that.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Did you miss the part about "DISPROPORTIONATE"? For disproportionate read more killings of women and children and innocents.

But it will be 'Palestinians' not Israels, which is good, from the Israeli standpoint.

If Israel didn't use a 'disproportionate' response then more of their own people would die. That would be ignorant on their part. You don't let your own people die when you have the capability to stop it.

So called 'disproprotionate' responses are the only way to end wars that can't be negotiated. Ending a war ultimately saves lives.

I don't know who dreamed up the 'disproportionate response' rhetoric.
It's such a damn stupid phrase and shows a complete lack of understanding of warfare and defense.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Did you miss the part about "DISPROPORTIONATE"? For disproportionate read more killings of women and children and innocents. I have no problem with Israel taking on Hamas, I do have a problem with any number of other issues, especially a volatile nation like Israel having so much nuclear armament!

They have had nukes for quite some time and have never used them. if they were so "volitile" as you call them they would have by now. The deaths of women and children in Gaza are a direct result of the fact that Hamas uses them as human shields. Not that I count thier deaths as nothing, it is horrible but it is a fate that Hamas has brought on them, not Israel. israel has given them Gaza, which is what they asked for and still Hamas shoots rockets into israeli land, not at military targets but indiscriminately. They want nothing less than all the land of israel and they will keep firing rockets until they get it. they have unfortunately learned that terror tactics get them results if they keep it up long enough. they have also learned that they can use the death of their people to sway the media which they do quite well as I see.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join