It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Local Police Want Right to Jam Wireless Signals

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Local Police Want Right to Jam Wireless Signals

www.washingtonpost.com

It is an increasingly common technology, with federal agencies expanding its use as state and local agencies are pushing for permission to do the same. Police and others say it could stop terrorists from coordinating during an attack, prevent suspects from erasing evidence on wireless devices, simplify arrests and keep inmates from using contraband phones.

But jamming remains strictly illegal for state and local agencies. Federal officials barely acknowledge that they use it inside the United States, and the few federal agencies that can jam signals usually must seek a legal waiver first.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
There is something about this that gives me an uneasy feeling.

Disrupting communication of the civilian population? All in the name of "fighting terrorists" once again.

But to me, this has broader implications of control.

If indeed the SHTF, and people are trying to organize together to protest, THIS is what I see this trying to combat---Cut off their communication lines between one another so as to disrupt any type of organization.

This might be something to keep a close eye on. If your calls start dropping more frequently in the future, you never know if this may be the cause behind it...

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-2-2009 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

They'll never be aloud, only secret service men can jam signals -what if a cop jammed the men in black? they would never let it happen.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Yeah, I really don't see any problem with them jamming wireless signals in prisons. I'm somewhat surprised they aren't already openly doing that. But jamming the general public is messed up. Guess its getting about time to buy some (illegal) non-FCC approved signal boosters, hey?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
They want to do this to stop people from sending Pic's and video of what the police are doing. So many of them are getting caught breaking the law. Use to they could just lie and say it did not happen. Not so easy now!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Let me get this straight. In an emergency, they want to jamb our ability to seek emergency services by phone?

Only a politician or cop could come up with something so asinine.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This whole things reminds me of V for Vendetta. The Government needs to stop using the terrorist clause to control Americans, Americans would not take kindly to being called terrorists, especially after 9/11, two wars, and a whole host of other things Americans have had to endure over the years.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

If you are trying to communicate to organize protests, you are considered to be a dissident and therefore an "enemy combatant". AKA "terrorist".

The word "terrorist" includes any group or person deemed by government to be against the will of that government and the safety of the people. It's so vague as to include any human on Earth whenever the American government decides.

This is why such a measure will go ahead, and why it will be almost impossible for the American people to ever form any resistance in any future Martial Law scenario.

There is no other reason for it to go ahead.
In American history, how many terrorist attacks have there been?
How many people have been killed in comparison to the population?
How many more millions are killed by smoking, drinking, cholesterol, poverty, all easily preventable, every year in comparison to terrorist acts on US soil?

I won't be surprised to see people accepting this measure "for their protection" because, quite frankly, people are idiots.

I'll bet several measures like this will come into effect in the next few months, more methods of preventing and controlling the population when the SHTF big time.
All designed to make you easier to watch, easier to control, it all makes it easier for those in power to retain it.

new topics

top topics

join