It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Its a very simple questiona dn a flwa in the religious crafters..they forgot that they are preparing peopl only for death and not life. i find religion sickening as all it does is prepare people for deatha nd never tries to teach them about life.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by twistedworld

I have no beliefs in anything, no mythology, no religion, no GODS, no nada. I know that I livew on a planet called eart that rotates around a star. I know that this solar system rotates around a galaxy. There are many many galaxies and many many stars. Thats what I know. I knw that my body requires food and water and that in order to get that food and water I must manke a thing called money. We make money from trees.

This is what I know. I stick with what I know and nothing else.

No belief is a belief.

Maybe you should seek answers? It's great to realize what you don't know, but a pity if you don't seek to know.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Why can't people just accept the fact that they will die? Every lifeform dies sooner or later. So why not just accept the fact that you have a maximum of 100 years here, make the best of it and enjoy your life.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

I have no beliefs in anything, no mythology, no religion, no GODS, no nada. I know that I livew on a planet called eart that rotates around a star. I know that this solar system rotates around a galaxy. There are many many galaxies and many many stars. Thats what I know. I knw that my body requires food and water and that in order to get that food and water I must manke a thing called money. We make money from trees.

This is what I know. I stick with what I know and nothing else.

No belief is a belief.

Maybe you should seek answers? It's great to realize what you don't know, but a pity if you don't seek to know.

Ah, so now you are trying to twist my words, nice try!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:37 PM
link   
What would you all do if we could go back in time and observe all the supposed happenings in the bible and find out they were just written stories and never occured.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Its a very simple questiona dn a flwa in the religious crafters..they forgot that they are preparing peopl only for death and not life. i find religion sickening as all it does is prepare people for deatha nd never tries to teach them about life.

I'm not a fan of religion. I call the church the church of Satan. You should try reading the thread before responding next time I think.

The church of Satan views Jesus as a sacrifice. A sacrifice of truth so that the lie of this world can live. Those who focus on his death are living in the lie. I on the other hand focus on his life, not his death.

You judge based not on the knowledge and understanding, but based on those who do things in the name of it. It's foolish and designed.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   

What would you all do if we could go back in time and observe all the supposed happenings in the bible and find out they were just written stories and never occured.

Actually, it wouldn't matter to me at all if they are just stories. I don't have "faith". It wouldn't change my beliefs at all. I didn't get my beliefs from the bible, don't need the bible for my beliefs, and don't even really care about the Christian religion or the bible.

What I can't stand is when people make low level thinking arguments against it instead of actually taking the time to understand what they are dismissing. Legitimate arguments exist against religion, and it's a shame when people can't bring up any of them.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Oh so now you are trying to tell me what to do, this gets funnier by the minute.

If that is how you read anything I've said, then have a nice day. I have better things to do.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by twistedworld

The history of how the cultures of those lands, that were worshipping many gods are backed up by many tablets found in Cannon, Egypt and Mari. The kings mentiond in the Bible are also mentioned in tablets that were records for political means and trades between the cultures. There is real history of what was tranpiring in those lands. Now this doesnt mean it was divine or that is was god who told them to do the aweful things they did. But it is a book of history, no doubt.

No one is trying to push anything on you, you starting a thread about the Bible....you should be open to all responses.

LV

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Leo, yes there are some recording of some events in the bible that are backed up by governmental writings, but only very few of them on record. There is no record of Moses and Jesus. There are also no records of many other writings. I can go ona nd on about this all night as I have spent years researching this and I came to the conclusion that a emperor by the name of constantine is the one that had all this made up!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Thisle, I am right with you friend. I too grew up as a Christian, and come from a line of pastors and preachers. As I sought true knowledge several years ago, to strip myself of all that was taught to me about Religion, and seek GOD if there was one unfiltered and raw without mankinds own twisted version. It has been a 3 year journey and I have realized that there is something higher, maybe not in a place called heaven, or hell or any name.

I think it is the sum of all existence added together to make a super force, that is neutral, that does not interfere in human lives, it is just super intelligence, knowledge, power, energy, light, mass, space, gravity, dark matter, that continues to create new and exciting things by it own interactions with itself.

I know this may sound weird, but I really do believe this. After all, I am just a mere mortal seeking truth, and knowledge, and if I am to be damned to hell as Christianity, Islam, Judaism claim for seeking this, than how could GOD punish me for this curiosity that he instilled in me.

Jesus spoke of seeking truth and that many will be fooled, what good is life if it is a open book test, that clearly states we will all fall short of glory. Just taking the writings as you were taught and never questioning anything out of fear of damnation is not a life of freedom. I love people, nature, life, do good things, I also have my own demons that I fight.

One more thing before I go quickly, Satan was around to test every generation of humans since the beginning of our existence, him versus us, is kind of unfair anyway if he existed. He would have dealt with every human known to Earth, so for him to lead us astray would be like stealing candy from a Baby. This is not a bash on anyone else's beliefs so don't take it personal, this is just my own understanding and you are entitled to understand and believe as you feel. I am also not trying to convert anybody to anything, just venting

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Yes, he was a part of all of that...but I do believe there is a divine essence that is a life force, its an emanation. There are new science studies that are very interesting, seeking the possibility of other dimensions or cycles of the sun and alignments of the galaxy with the Universe and what call the galactic center. I think there is more to god then a entity that intervenes, its a essence of life that thrives in everything, everything holds a vibration, the study of waves and light and how the Universe works is to me a showing of 'if' a divine essence is the vibration that is within all things....then science and spirituality can go hand in hand.

I think Im a logical person myself. Im going to school for Psychology, I would like to own a library retreat for people to learn what ever material they would like to.

But I have seen and witnessed too many things today's science can explain for me.

I am not religious, I am spiritual. There is a difference.

Peace,
LV

[edit on 1-2-2009 by LeoVirgo]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

I'm going to hell! WHO'S GOING WITH ME??!?!?!

On a more serious note fear tactics usually rule organized religion. I for one think religion is a disease that creates ignorance and war. As for the bible take what good from it you can and go your own way. Every mans journey is his own and no matter how many books you read you will always have to sift and sort to come to any truth. Just my 2 cents......

[edit on 2-2-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:27 AM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

I feel the same for myself Ravenshawdow13

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
My answer for the question in the OP is no. I don't believe in dismissing any book, burning them, throwing them in the trash. To burn any sort of knowledge, be it useful or not useful tells me that the person who threw the match is scared and ignorant of what could possibly be contained within the pages. I view the bible as a history book, nothing less, nothing more. If you find something you can gain from the bible spiritually, then great use until it is no longer needed, and then leave for another to find for the chance that someone else could possibly gain something from it, or keep it if you are an interested in the historical aspect of it. I didn't get any kind of spiritual awakening from the pages of the bible, so I'll just use it as a reference to ancient history, seeing as I'm doing some research of the times and areas for myself.

I don't like how Jesus' message has been corrupted, as have the bible itself has been corrupted against it's intention. I see Jesus, not as a "son of god" but as someone who attained enlightenment, such as buddha for example and was trying to help people reach the state of bliss themselves. But the followers of Jesus have twisted things so horribly (wars, unquestionable loyalty, fear of the devil, etc) that some followers will kill, maime, cheat in the name of the lord. That is not the message! It pains me everytime I read up on wars in the name of religion of any time period. We have roots in being primitive man, and he do still have those instincts and traits no matter how buried they are. But as not only way of living and technologies advance, spirituality has advanced as well. I feel we are getting closer and closer to our spiritual goal as a race, but we get stuck on the organized religion/read and repeat exactly that is in scripture way of thinking.

To many chirstians in this day in age have been held back in many ways. Many still believe that the devil is in people being psychic (or even having a dream about the future once), outside thinking that isn't their own, thinking church is the only way to god, and blindly swearing loyalty to a book without actually ever reading it or even contemplating the words a little and etc. Some of the stereotypical bible thumpers do exactly what mosts athiests do, which is pick and choose which scriptures that proves their view points as superior. To me, this is the wrong way of going about it. Why try to prove each other wrong, wouldn't it be better to coexist peacefully and respectfully?

I'm neither athiests, christian, catholic, buddist, etc. I have my own spiritual path that I follow, and I have my ways that work for me and it's not in the organized path. I also don't like how the church scares people into coming. I attend a christian service with my girlfriend every now and then, whose family follows said religion. I couldn't help but notice how "hypnotized" many people were, friendly, but very phony. The pastor, nice guy, but gets into the "I'm glad things like 9/11, or the bad economy, or when something terrible happens, people come back to the church!" Another favorite, one sentence you would hear how unmerciful god is if you don't follow his word, then next sentence say, oh how merciful and forgiving god is. Which is it?

Or when my girlfriend questions the need for going to church to her parents, they freak out. They said, "you HAVE to go to church, those are the rules, its gods rules and if on sunday you don't feel like going, that is the devil trying to keep you from going!" or "You HAVE to go because it is expected of you!". Stuff like that. I found this kind of odd way of talking to their daughter, seeing as she's over twenty five. I really feel sorry for people so brainwashed into that way of thinking. Too scared to question it, to scared to hear other reasons/viewpoints, and often mock those alternative viewpoints. I don't just keep this restricted to christianity, but to all religions with or without a god.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The problem with the Bible, is that most people don't understand it.

I think First Corinthians holds a few keys about the entire Bible, Christ, and life, that could help decipher the entire Bible differently.

First Corinthians Chapter 2 Verses 7-8:

"but we speak God's wisdom in a mystery, the hidden wisdom, which God predestined before the ages to our glory; the wisdom which none of the rulers of this age has understood; for if they had understood it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory;"

First Corinthians Chapter 3 Verse 2-4

"I gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it. Indeed, even now you are not yet able, for you are still fleshly. For since there is jealousy and strife among you, are you not fleshly, and are you not walking like mere men?"

First Corinthians Chapter 3 Verses 6-9

"I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor."

"For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building."

First Corinthians Chapter 3 Verses 16-18:

"Do you not know that you are a temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwells in you? If any man destroys the temple of God, God will destroy him, for the temple of God is holy, and that is what you are. Let no man deceive himself. If any man among you thinks that he is wise in this age, let him become foolish that he may become wise."

Basically it says, there is hidden wisdom in the Bible. Then later it says "i gave you milk to drink, not solid food; for you were not yet able to receive it", which I believe means that the wisdom was given in small amounts, because most men are not ready for it all at once. Then some hidden wisdom is told, saying that the planter and water-ers are an extension of God helping the growth. The planter and water-er are 0ne with God, and God dwells in you. All energy and all things are God himself, God is everywhere, and is everything, and is responsible for everything.

This explains an analogy that most people struggle with. "If you planted a seed, and you watered the seed, and it grows, are you a God because you have helped create life?" Well, according to the Bible, you are an extension of God, and God was responsible for you existing, and was responsible for you planting and watering the seed, and was also responsible for creating the seed, and responsible for the Earth the seed was planted in.

You see, God is ALL energy in the universe combined.... You are physically and mentally made of this energy, so you are a small part of God, much like your skin cells are a small part of you.

When God commands someone to death because of sins, or unrighteousness, GOD IS DISCIPLINING HIMSELF.

You wont read this type of interpretation from me anywhere else, as this wisdom is hidden, yet it can be found everywhere, if you have ears to hear and eyes to see.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Valhall

I am a firm unbeliever in the bible. I have many arguments with those that want to about how the bible is wrong and so on and so forth.

I married a devoutly christian woman.

When we had had a particularly nasty argument about some piddly piece in the book, she degenerated into tears and said something to me that has stayed with me ever since;

"You might not believe, but I do, and you have NO RIGHT to take that away from me."

I agree... ditch it for yourself... but dont think by arguing the point you are making happier people - your only taking something they value away from them - even if you're right.

Dave

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:12 AM
link   
God is working through you only as much as you let him. If you ignore him and don't let him into your heart, he will ignore and leave you out too. I would agree that a lot of people who claim to be religious and even most of those (that I've seen) who don't believe actually know very little about God.

The things from Leviticus and the OT were under the old covenant, but Jesus lived and died to fulfill that covenant and make it obsolete so we are no longer required to sacrifice animals and do all those things. He was the ultimate sacrifice for all of us and not believing he did this means you are accountable for all your sins by rejecting the one who died to save us from all that. If we all walked the path, things would be different.

The only problem I have with Bibles today is that they have been altered and changed which I believe is why there are contradictions in it. I know the Bible is real because of the Bible code. The code is only found in the original hebrew texts found with computers using number skip sequences. This code has predicted the future to me on many occasions and there are many more codes surfacing over the last couple years. That's how I know the Bible is much more than just stories. The code is the seal and it has been broken. That's why no one will ever convince me otherwise. The fact that this book was written to tell a story and at the same time, a code predicting future events that would not happen for over 2000 years was simultaniously being written into that book without affecting the story is proof enough for me. It's real and very soon, you'll know that too.

The true believers don't believe because they are afraid of dying or because they need comfort, it's because God has revealed himself to them and they accepted him into their hearts. He has revealed himself in many ways to me outside of the code and my beliefs have nothing to do with being scared or needing comfort. I was athiest for 19 years and had no interest in changing my ways. It took nothing short of a miracle to get me on the other side of the fence and God accomidated me by showing me things that were impossible to ignore or dismiss. I think the only reason non-believers feel that the only reason to believe is if you're afraid of death or need some kind of comfort is because you can't see any other reason. Really though, you're on the outside looking in. I used to be there too.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join