It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

Back to "low-level thinking" are we?

Agenda?

Wrong on both accounts.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Then you should read what Jesus had to say when he came into this world and defined many things the old have mistook.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Can I not question? I spent most of my childhood being 'brainwashed'.

I realise now you don't need the book to get on with my life.

It tought me nothing.

You don't need a bible to decide / dictate what is right from wrong. The government do that.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
reply to post by LeoVirgo

Can I not question? I spent most of my childhood being 'brainwashed'.

I realise now you don't need the book to get on with my life.

It tought me nothing.

You don't need a bible to decide / dictate what is right from wrong. The government do that.

Ok, lets compare government to the bible quotes you mentioned. Which war would you like to start with? Which genocide should come first?

You must just be a troll, you can't be serious.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I personally believe in the bible, but if you want to ditch the bible than one logically has to ditch all other religious views as well not just the Catholic or Chrisitan text. To ditch it because it is discriminatory or full of hatred, then we must also remove what drives this in society as well. For instance and example, the Theory of Evolution. The Theory of Evolution holds into account that we started out as ape like beings and then magically evolved into the humans that we are today. But what about the promoters of evolution or what evolution has done to the people?

Adolf Hitler for example used the theory of evolution to his advantage, in saying that Jews were the less evolved than the perfect Aryans.

Charles Darwin and many other people in his time used evolution to justify that what they were doing to the persons of color was acceptable? Why, because they are animals, monkeys, apes. Why? Because they were viewed as dirty or unclean.

Many people today use the theory of evolution as there driving force and quite honestly the theory of evolution adds many flames to many fires. The Neo Nazi's, The Bloods and teh Crypts, the black panthers, hangs of today and many others all use the philosophy of evolution. One is superior to the rest, a certain race is pure, someones turf is worth killing over, all things that animals do. Why? Because evolution states that we are indeed animals and we share a common hertitage with earth worms.

Saying and promoting that we are just like every other animal on the earth, gives reason to why they do what they do. They kill because they can, they intimidate because they can, they feel that they are superior to others. Because they have the mind set that they are highly evolved.

The Colombine incident for instance, the two boys Eric and Dylan (I think there names were), used the theory of evolution to justify what they were doing. Saying that the starting football player did not deserve the jaw that evolution gave to him and to add they also committed the massacre on Hitlers birthday. Yet another violent example of evolution.

But to clarify the Old testament is the old set of ways, the old beliefs and the old understanding. Those people did not grasp what God wanted exactly, which is another reason why God sent his son, to usher in the ways that things should have been done to stop the division. To lead the world to salvation. To stop the persecution, to end the old laws of man and usher in the old and new laws of the one true God.

[edit on -06002009-02-01T21:55:17-06:00282009bAmerica/ChicagoSun, 01 Feb 2009 21:55:17 -0600, 1 by TheMythLives]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Well most of my childhood was influenced by a preimpacted belief also...a very literal viewof the Bible. We dont need the Bible or religion to know right or wrong....but I do believe spirituality is very different then religion....I am of no religion, I follow my own logic of history and intuition of a meaning of life.

I do think people need to seek for their own personal beliefs and not follow crowds that tell them 'THIS IS THE TRUTH OR ELSE".....

But I respect all views, even atheist views. I sometimes agree more with an atheist then a religious person.

But the Bible explains how those religions came from a pantheon of gods to erecting one god....which still is a wrathful nature, which I dont find divine at all....

Ive experienced too many phenomenons that nothing can explain for me the reason for those experiences. So I will be a forever seeker in the spiritual side of things.

The Bible holds history, if anything

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

What you are saying is exactly the way I used to think. I will keep this short. Your guard is down, and now is a perfect time for evil or the devil to get inside your head. Religion or God is not the problem it's how humans us it as a weapon. Believe as you once had and you look back and find out God is their and he Knows Who You Are as a indiviual.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Hey GUY you are getting typical responses from people who want you to conform to their beliefs. It will always amaze me how bible thumpers are the worst people I have ever met. Give you an example I work with a bible thunper and she is supposed to work 4/10 work hours. 10 hours a day and she works about 8 hours a day and makes all sorts of excuses to get out of work, but she will tell you daily that she is a christian woman. I just lauh as I watch the christian woman cheat and steal the state tax payer as she is a state employee..

So you see bible thumpers you are nothing more than cynical and total liars. I bet not one of you here tonight can respond to thi post without trying to label someone or redicule them for alternate thinking..

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by twistedworld
Hey GUY you are getting typical responses from people who want you to conform to their beliefs. It will always amaze me how bible thumpers are the worst people I have ever met. Give you an example I work with a bible thunper and she is supposed to work 4/10 work hours. 10 hours a day and she works about 8 hours a day and makes all sorts of excuses to get out of work, but she will tell you daily that she is a christian woman. I just lauh as I watch the christian woman cheat and steal the state tax payer as she is a state employee..

So you see bible thumpers you are nothing more than cynical and total liars. I bet not one of you here tonight can respond to thi post without trying to label someone or redicule them for alternate thinking..

It's not about alternative thinking, it's about the level of thinking.

Some bods are nods, some nods are sods. True or false - All sods are bods.

According to your post, that statement is true when it clearly isn't. As you just used an example of 1 person to paint an entire religion.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by twistedworld

To say that all bible believers are cruel or mean, is wrong. I do understand where you are coming from, but to label all believers as wicked is what is taught not to do in the bible, but logically one really does not need a bible to come to that conclusion. I understand your frustration with that women, but perhaps you hsould tell the boss or talk to her if you really have an issue, which is what I would do. Keepin this hate inside is seriously not good, let her know that what she is doing is not right and tell her to stop being a hypocrite, if hwta you are saying is true..

Peace Mate,
TheMythLives- Bible believer

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

I bet not one of you here tonight can respond to this post without trying to label someone or redicule them for alternate thinking..

That's what I am experiencing. I am also a troll apparently.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:13 PM
link   
See I told you that you couldn't not redicule for a post. Bingo a typical bible thumper. So let me give you a clear and decisive way to your religion. Your religion is based upon one principal and only one. You live your entire life to prepare for your death. So, what are you waiting for as death is so easy to do and so fast. Why are you waiting 80 some years to get to your destination. You would think that all catholics and christians would be eager to get to their heavens and quit wasting their time here on earth. So what are you waiting for??Now don't give me some excuse about a sin as according to your bible you have no sisns anymore. So, what are you waiting for??

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMythLives

I already have told her to her face guy and no I have no hate for her, but sympathy for her as she is nothing but a total liar. I am not labeling all of you this way, but the majority of bible thumpers can't follow their religion as it clearly says to respect everyone regardless of their views.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by twistedworld

Star and flag from me.

[edit on 1/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:18 PM
link   

See I told you that you couldn't not redicule for a post. Bingo a typical bible thumper. So let me give you a clear and decisive way to your religion. Your religion is based upon one principal and only one. You live your entire life to prepare for your death. So, what are you waiting for as death is so easy to do and so fast. Why are you waiting 80 some years to get to your destination. You would think that all catholics and christians would be eager to get to their heavens and quit wasting their time here on earth. So what are you waiting for??Now don't give me some excuse about a sin as according to your bible you have no sisns anymore. So, what are you waiting for??

Really. Would you care to highlight the label or ridicule I put on your post?

I don't even consider myself a christian. You just came in and labeled everyone in your post, told people what they believed and it was nothing but assumptions.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
All religion is a assumption, let look at the definition of the word religion.

A religion is a set of stories, symbols, beliefs and practices, often with a supernatural quality, that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to an ultimate power or reality.[citation needed] It may be expressed through prayer, ritual, meditation, music and art, among other things. It may focus on specific supernatural, metaphysical, and moral claims about reality (the cosmos, and human nature) which may yield a set of religious laws, ethics, and a particular lifestyle. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and religious experience.

Well hell that seems to me like a thought or what if and no single conclusion or fact..Qeu no???

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   

All religion is a assumption, let look at the definition of the word religion.

A religion is a set of stories, symbols, beliefs and practices, often with a supernatural quality, that give meaning to the practitioner's experiences of life through reference to an ultimate power or reality.[citation needed] It may be expressed through prayer, ritual, meditation, music and art, among other things. It may focus on specific supernatural, metaphysical, and moral claims about reality (the cosmos, and human nature) which may yield a set of religious laws, ethics, and a particular lifestyle. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and religious experience.

Well hell that seems to me like a thought or what if and no single conclusion or fact..Qeu no???

Really, so are you saying you have no set of beliefs? Guess what. You can't help but have an opinion or belief about god. You by default have a religion.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by badmedia

I have no beliefs in anything, no mythology, no religion, no GODS, no nada. I know that I livew on a planet called eart that rotates around a star. I know that this solar system rotates around a galaxy. There are many many galaxies and many many stars. Thats what I know. I knw that my body requires food and water and that in order to get that food and water I must manke a thing called money. We make money from trees.

This is what I know. I stick with what I know and nothing else.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Why is that religious people aren't forming lines to Dr. Kovorkian centers? I mean they all live their lives preapring themselves for death. It really makes nos ense to me as I would trhink they would all be running to death arms to get to their heavens faster.

I dunno, maybe because they are thinking of people other than themselves? Hard for you to imagine?

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join