It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Thistled:

I really don't know why unbelievers always go to OT books to try a prove a point about the attributes of God.

All the attributes are grouped in two classes in agreement with the two aspects of the divine nature-the metaphysical and the moral.

THE METAPHYSICAL (natural attributes) At least 7 divine characteristics belong to this class: (1) Unity, (2) spirituality (3) immutability (4) eternity (5) omnipotence (6) imnipresnce (7) omniscience''

THE MORAL (ethical attributes) (1) holiness (2) justisce (3) love (4) mercy (5) truth

You see you must take into account all the characteristics of God in whatever Scripture you might be referring to.

If God could be fully known by our finite minds, he would be not god. We know that God has unlimited power to act, but how he does it we cannot know. We know he knows all things, but concerning his mode of knowing we do not understand. We know his love is boundless, but here also our knowledge is limited. God is not only a subject of faith, but also of knowledge. But we not only know God by our own natures which are in his image, but we also know him through the revelation of himself in the Scriptures.

I get a lot of histroy imformation out ot the OT. I find that God had reasons for his commandments. You must remember, we are now living under grace through our Lord Jesus Christ. We are living under the NT now. I find that there is much harmony in the OT and NT and if you understand the OT the NT shows you the true nature of the verses.

One must come to look through spiritual eyes when reading the Scriptures. God tells us to come to him with a humble heart, humble mind, humble body and a humble spirit. If we truly do these things the Holy Spirit will help us with our understanding and teaching of the Word.

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
reply to post by badmedia

Who created the alien races? Are you suggesting a 'god'?
Alien race sounds alot like "angels" doesn't it? Not to me it doesn't
Aren't angels by definition ET? Aren't you still really looking "out there" for answers? I use my telescope to look at stars and nebula - not god.

You won't find god looking out there, you are looking in the wrong direction. Looking "out there" is kind of like trying to find Bill Gates and the programmers in your Windows OS. I'm not looking for god badmedia.

Ok fine, who's experiment are they? You are putting them in the god/creator/ruler role. So how can you say you are not looking for god? Obviously you are.

Angels would be classified as ET's, they aren't from earth, so they are ET. I don't know if aliens are actually the angels in the bible, but by defintion it's basically the same role. You call them ET, others call them angels and so on.

Of course, angels look over the earth in the same way you mention ET's and so on.

I can see through you.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

I like what you are saying, but I suppose I am more akin to the Star Trek theory. That is, they come from planet zartog and have no god. Hell, they evolved from blobs of 'science', just like us.

I'm going for a bath now, I look forward to your next post, and hey....

planet zartog ditched the bible years ago.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jpm06002

without the bible there is no hope

Helloooooooo, no hope of what exactly ?

No hope of dictating how other people should live their lives ?

No hope of TV evangelists getting another house ?

No hope for Ted Haggard saving money on rent boys ?

No hope of Israels continuation ?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

But you break your own rule and say that something which is perfect created something which is imperfect. How could his perfection allow such?

Actually there is very good logic as to why this my be, here is my thread so I don't derail this one.

There are 3 realities:

Your way

My way

And the way it really is

Perspectives falls into; "My Way" and therefore may be totally inaccurate. And we may miss something in-between.

I believe we both have a different perspective...

I am much more pragmatic and therefore cannot put everything into a gray areas of perspective. But I certainly understand everything you are saying but am not as romantic in my views. I am a highly evolved spiritual person who is still fleshly!!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Personally, as a human being, I would never live my life by any book.

I think that looking to a book for answers to everything is kind of a cop out.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   

As you get older, you start to question what seems impossible.

"When you have eliminated the impossible then whatever remains however improbable must be true." - Sherlock Holmes

This applies to the theory of creationism or natural selection. Both are possible only - if there is a divine Creator behind them. For we cannot place the whole burden on physics and genetics or abiogensis, without adding the necessary: intelligence, consciousness, imagination and the original power to create the beginning.

Even Richard Dawkins cannot overcome the basic question: where did life start? It is this simple question that cannot be answered just through the laboratory, telescope or math.

So however improbable God must be to some of you, it must be true. Perhaps our perception of him may be off? Perhaps the books based on him may be inaccurate? Why not ask all these other questions? TRUTH does exist, it is up to us - if we choose, to find it!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Hi!!

Anyone who places all their hope on the Bible or any other Holy Book are in for a tough ride - ahead!

This would be an ideal time to develop a relationship on a God of our understanding and take it from there. We don't need middle men or middle anything! It's a save your own arse program with a little divine help!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well I don't know about other people but the Bible has been very helpful to me. I two years ago I started constructing a Throne, using the Bible as a reference tool, and I must say its working out quite well.

For example, I recently had an argument with a cop concerning landlord and tenants rights and I was explaining to him that it doesn't matter what your personal feelings are about people being late with rent the Law is the law and just because you have a badge doesn't give you the right to legislate from your squad car. I went on and told the cop as a matter of fact, only a Sheriff can make me leave my apartment and a municiple cop has no jurisdiction over this matter.

Anyway he and the landlord worked together and became real dickheads, so I just moved out.

A week later the Governor was arrested by the feds and kicked out of office.

If you are slow, I'll be happy to fill in the blanks for this story. But I attribute such quick and decisive action against rouge law enforcement to the effectiveness of the Throne I constructed using the Bible as a reference tool.

I want to use my Throne for just such work...The coolest part is that if anyone moves against the Throne I built they'll end up unemployed and homeless faster than a bankers bailout legislation moves through the House and Senate.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by huckfinn]

[edit on 1-2-2009 by huckfinn]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm06002
without the bible there is no hope

So you are saying that the majority of the people in the world have no hope, myself included?

I know if I need a guide to tell me how to beat my slaves or that killing children, slashing open pregnant women, offering up virgins to a crowd of horny men, etc., is A-OK, I'll consult the Bible. You shouldn't need references for this since you evidently read the Bible and know what is in it. Just Google what I wrote and you will find the passages that back up the tiny portion of the atrocities I have cited.

I say ditch that hideous, violent book. If you want to claim it is your guide for morals, try using your brain to figure out right from wrong. If you are unable to do that, there are plenty of ancient texts that discuss such issues without all the blood and gore.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
If when you read the Bible, you don't gain any insight into how to make the world a better place, then perhaps it is time to put that book down and pick up one more on your own level. That makes sense.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

Thanks Grandma, I'm not looking for anything.

You are cool, I like what you have to say.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by huckfinn

Thanks for the post Huckfinn. Can I ask you a question?

Would I be right to suggest the "Throne" is based on the bible?
If so, why do you say "The coolest part is that if anyone moves against the Throne I built they'll end up unemployed and homeless faster than a bankers bailout legislation moves through the House and Senate."?

Because if that is the case, you are promoting the 'ways' of the OT, and I think as pointed out by badmedia, that is what fuels "atheism".

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
reply to post by moocowman

Hi!!

Anyone who places all their hope on the Bible or any other Holy Book are in for a tough ride - ahead!

This would be an ideal time to develop a relationship on a God of our understanding and take it from there. We don't need middle men or middle anything! It's a save your own arse program with a little divine help!

although I don't do God per say I'm with you.

It's a well written story, would make a fortune these days.Imagine the screenplay ')

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I guess that is one way to look at it and I am sure that many people will flock to aethism as if I should care. We are free people; it is their choice.

The way I see it however is this. The people who are moving against the Throne are criminals...they are liars and they are thieves. The Throne I built simply exposes this FACT. Rod Blagojevich, the latest victim is not so much a victim of the sublime power of the Throne as he is a victim of his own actions, which were secretly and legally recorded by officers of the law and confirmed unanimously by the full Illinois Senate.

So, you will find in life that it is not GOD who is doing terrible things to people, but the people who doing these things to themselves. From what I read in the Bible it seems that in every instance where a people was destroyed by God, it wasn't so much the arbitrary actions of some spirit as it was the logical consequence of the victims behavior. Being angry with God is like being angry with Gravity.

The fact is that the world and everything on it has it own laws and order that governs its behavior that was established and recognized long before human history. Most of the past 5000 years has been spent trying to find a way to undo this order. Its been somewhat successful but the world fixes itself and returns to the way things were intended to be; when this happens people die in waves. Not because some guy did it but because their lives are utterly opposed to the preestablished order. And when the system corrects itself viruses are pulverized.

The Throne I built, using the Bible as a reference tool, is an object which is the physical representation of the presexisting order; AKA the Word of God. A preexisting order that I wouldn't have detected without a direct relationship with God and wouldn't have been able to confirm without the Bible.

Anything that moves against the Throne is destroyed. It just a matter a fact. Accept it or don't accept it. But it is not someone doing something unfairly to you.

But all that is besides the point. The Bible has practical and valuable uses and shouldn't be ditched. Unless of course you enjoy dirty cops and corrupt politicians and war without end.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by huckfinn

But all that is besides the point. The Bible has practical and valuable uses and shouldn't be ditched. Unless of course you enjoy dirty cops and corrupt politicians and war without end.

Thanks for responding. I don't enjoy dirty cops and I do despise corrupt politicians, however, I don't need the bible to fight them.

Like you say, you are either in or out, but I get the impression you suggest if you are out, you are against the throne, and if you are against the throne you will be punished. Yes?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   

OR..

you can stop taking it so damn literally.. and look into it as a symbolic work of art.. and that these"discriminations" and "accusations" are not directed outward at people outside of ourselves..

but actually symbols representing specific psychological aggregates within our own impure consciousness.. that the literature is advising we act rebellious against and defeat.

just a suggestion in response to your alarmist accusatory fanatical post.

simple solution... start actually looking what it MEANS as opposed to the childish interpretations of literalism.

but with todays' standard christian being a brainwashed fear mongering literalist.. i'd rather only allow people capable to understand the bible to have one..
i'f you're a dangerously idiotic literlaist and will act upon these literal MIS-interpretations violently.... then you shouldn't be allowed to have a bible.

but that probably won't be enforced.

-

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by prevenge

just a suggestion in response to your alarmist accusatory fanatical post.

simple solution... start actually looking what it MEANS as opposed to the childish interpretations of literalism.
-

I look at what it means, and I don't buy it.

I'm alarmist and fanatical? Hardly.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I love Grandma, she's my favorite, and I'm not even religious.
She says things and they make sense.
I wish all Christians were like her. She makes it okay for people to be Christian.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Sure, she is calm and composed, and not in the habit of ruffling feathers.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join