It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 27
<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I could point to Mark 8:33 "But when he had turned about and looked on his disciples, he rebuked Peter, saying, Get thee behind me, Satan: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but the things that be of men. Peter, named Satan by Jesus, founded the Church in Rome."
and say that this shows that Peter was Satanic.

However in all fairness, this is not what was meant by the Scribe. What this verse does tell us is that THE SCRIBE WAS EGYPTIAN.

In Egyptian 'Satan' could mean 'Of the Devil', but like English the word had more than one meaning. (To Devil means to Season food). Satan could mean 'The Devil' if the final hieroglyph was a 'god' determinative, but when STN was followed by a tiny 'rock' glyph then the meaning was THE ROCK.

This is more proof that the whole Bible originated in Egypt and God was Egyptian - Hosea 13:4 and 12:9.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Malankhkare

In your 2 Kings reference it wasn't God but the King of Isreal at the time.

Your other references were people that were worshipping false gods. If you hate Christians picking and choosing so much then why are you doing it. To me you are losing credibility every time you post because you are doing the same thing. And once again come out of the old testament please.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU

Well if you read all 12 versus there you see he is talking of the people worshiping false Gods. Stop picking and choosing. It is apparent that you do not like the Christians that do this so why are you going to do it.

Not true at all. I have nothing against Christians who do not try and force their religion on other people. As you can see the Bible is not a book of good and a guidline by which people should live their lives.

The New Testament is pure fiction and the only Jesus who ever existed was the Egyptian Spirit Son of God who was called IOSA - still the same name for Jesus in Gaelic.

There is not one tiny shred of evidence outside this book of fiction to show that a real living Jesus ever existed. This has been debated for centuries and most people are now aware of the Josephus forgeries, and the hearsay reports which could be as easily applied to Harry Potter.

The fact that God didn't inflict emerods on those that followed her, does not change the fact that this should not be done to anyone, and therefore this God is horrendous and evil.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Not true at all. I have nothing against Christians who do not try and force their religion on other people.

But you do have a problem with the ones that pick and choose what verse to use. To force their beliefs onto you. But you my friend are picking and choosing versus to prove your thoughts. There is know difference in what you are doing. You are doing the same as those christians that pick and choose the verse to hound you.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Other OT readings that are not evil..........

Psalm 139: 13-16
"For you created my inmost, being, you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be."

(1) you created my inmost being
(2) you knit be together in my mother's womb
(3) I am fearfully and wonderfully made
(4) my frame was made in the secret place
(5) your eyes saw my unformed body
(6) all days for me were written - before one of them came to be

Now, think on this a minute! This is from the OT and it speaks of nothing but a loving Creator, a loving Father.

Psalm 121

"I lift my eyes up to the hills - where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let my foot slip - he who watches over me will not slumber; indeed he who watches over Israel will neither slumber not sleep. The Lord watches over me - the Lord is my shade at my right hand; the sun will not harm me by day, not the moon by night. The Lord will keep me from all harm - he will watch over my life; the Lord will watch over my coming and going both now are forevermore"

What a beautiful psalm about God's watching over us, even when we slumber. He will not let our foot slip, he will keep me from all harm, he will watch over my coming and going now and forever.

Does this mean that we will not have pain of suffering in out lives. Of course not. What it does mean is that we will have the essence of of who he is with us ALL the time. And when our consciousness becomes one with his consciousness it is something so remarkable it makes one trimble at the thought.

To be one in the spirit with the Lord is indeed "a love affair." It is one of the geatest love stories every told.

How do I come to this path? My Bible helps me and the Holy Spirit teaches be through Scriptures what spiritual knowlege I am to be given.
One does need to read through the Scriptures with *spiritual eyes* and have a mind and heart that are *spiritually open* to receive the knowledge that the Lord would like to bring you into.

Hebrews 5: 13-14
"Anyone who lives on MILK, being still an infant, IS NOT acquainted with the TEACHING about righteousness. But SOLID food is for mature, who by constant use have TRAINED themselves to DISTINGUISH good from evil.

This is why so many Christians do not have an answer for those who ask them "why they are a Christian", they have not studied on their own. The depend on their church pastor to give them solid food........and they just don't get it.

I know there are many evil things that happened in the OT. I am not sure that YaWah was really God. God is not evil and does not kill. I do have my ideas about the OT, but they are still a work in process.

I fell we must keep our hearts and eyes on the true core meaning ot the Bible and that is the birth of Lord Jesus Christ and his reason for coming to this earth to be mindful of ones' such as us. There is no greater love than one who lay's down his life for another. Could you do that? Could any of us do that?

I love my bible. I feel the love and mercy of God in it when I read the Scriptures and he always teaches me something new, no matter how many times I read it.

No thanks, I will be keeping my Bible close to me. It is the most beautiful love story ever told. And brings me joy unspeakable and full of glory.

By the way every hand is made to turn the pages and every eye is made to read the beautiful words. Let that spark in your heart feel that little flame. Open your mind to the spiritual realm and begin a journey of a lifetime.

Peace to all

Grandma

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I don't think we should ditch the bible. No offense to anyone here. Reading the bible was what sealed the deal for me. I was 99 percent sure I wanted no part of the christian god or religion before I read it, and afterward, I was a 100 percent sure.

I'm not saying I don't believe in a higher power, or an energy , but I do know I don't believe in the christian god.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The Bible is a book meant to be read by Christians. It doesn't make any sense for the unbeliever because the unbeliever cannot interpret it correctly for it's proper meaning. To the unbeliever, the Bible is a book with every page blank except for the parts that talk about salvation and the need to be remorseful for sin and rebellion against God and in accepting Christ as Lord and Savior. The unbeliever just wanders the Earth endlessly as Jesus comes ever closer to His return. Time is running out. Rather than ditch the Bible may I suggest reading the Gospel of John? Perhaps God can still save you. Perhaps... while there is still time for being saved.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Remember, we all have a chance to be saved and forgiven for our prideful ways up until our very last breath on this earth.

I believe that God through the Holy Spirit is always trying to help his children find their path that will lead them home to him.

We who profess the name of Christian need to be a beakon of light that shines in the darkness. I hope that my light shines so bright and clear that it will be shown all over this earth. That those who seek will see and the Lord willing I may be able to help them on their own spiritual journey with the Father.

It is not the Father's wish to lose any of his children to the darkness. He will keep reaching out to those who do not believe until he reach out no more. And who is to say when that moment may be.

The Father wants his children to come to him because they choose to out of love, not out of fear they they better do it or else. It must be of our own free will and a heart that is humbled by our Creator. One must really bow down to their knees when they come before the throne. Not because of fear but because of WHO his is and the love he wants to share with us.

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

I agree with that statement. God is not willing that any should perish but that all might be saved. I think when people see our light that comes from God, it will be because we are busy being who we are called to be. If we do as the world does we offer no hope and no reason to want what we have. We need to shine and that shine comes from who weare and how we live our lives. I agree with you, God is love and does not want anyone to be destroyed.

posted on Feb, 7 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Malankhkare
If you think that Hannibal Lecter was horrifying, how about these Bible verses:

Leviticus 26:29 And ye shall eat the flesh of your sons, and the flesh of your daughters shall ye eat.

Ezekiel 5:10 Therefore the fathers shall eat the sons in the midst of thee, and the sons shall eat their fathers; and I will execute judgments in thee, and the whole remnant of thee will I scatter into all the winds.

Is this what you want your children to learn in their faith school?

This is the Almighty. And there is more to come. People talk about Christ being Gods peace and He is. Some mistakenly believe that the old ways end here.

But the last book of the New Testament, the testament of peace, love and joy, once again brings around the torment of the whole earth at the hands of powerful beings. And the slaughter and suffering plays like a script written by a genius and dramatic psychopathy that measures out the death by numbers 1/3 1/3 /1/3.

Killing He will do and lots of it. Bowls and Bowls of Wrath.

WOEFULL and sorrowful days ahead for man kind. The Almighty sets in motion such destruction and torment on the face of the earth that it is beyond comprehension.

This all written by the apostle of Love. Read it yourself and enjoy.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 01:41 AM
link   
What god is that to cruelly punish those who believe differently?
A restraint clause, non-competition clause in his "contract"?
Doesn't that Yahweh reveal his true nature that way?

It is not at all a matter of being anti-Christians. please try to understand correctly.

It is a matter of OT versus NT and of the pretty obvious issue that Yahweh isn't the "Father" Jesus talked about, but one He came to release us from. That is why Yahweh had him cruelly killed.

Jesus' "Father" is the highest God, 'El 'Elyon, who created Yahweh as one of his many creations. Yahweh then wanted full power over humans and did anything to obscure these facts. One thing he did was to infiltrate the Church to teach false things.

See: www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

But you do have a problem with the ones that pick and choose what verse to use. To force their beliefs onto you. But you my friend are picking and choosing versus to prove your thoughts. There is know difference in what you are doing. You are doing the same as those christians that pick and choose the verse to hound you.

What I don't understand is how a religion based purely upon the writings of the Bible (as I have seen no other proof or evidence other than the Bible to the existence of Jesus) can pick and chose which parts are truthful and which ones aren't.
I have no issue with Christians, Catholics or any other religious denomination, what I do find hard to grasp is how Christians increasingly dismisses more and more of the bible yet still holds firm over its importance and 'truth'.
It seems that the bible becomes less and less relevant to our modern world and needs more and more 'interpretation' and contextualisation to be meaningful.

Perhaps I am missing the point, perhaps I on't truly grasp the messages within the Bible but I just can't seem to get passed the fact that some things I read in it I am meant to disregard, some are meant to be taken with a pinch of salt and some are to be taken as gospel (for lack of a better term.)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
The Bible is a book meant to be read by Christians. It doesn't make any sense for the unbeliever because the unbeliever cannot interpret it correctly for it's proper meaning.

Forgive me if this reads a little 'rude' but how dare you. I'm sorry but you do not even know what you are saying. Do you realise how brainwashed and blinkered you and others really are?

Time is running out. Rather than ditch the Bible may I suggest reading the Gospel of John? Perhaps God can still save you. Perhaps... while there is still time for being saved.

May I suggest you read this post from the beginning, I don't need saved from anything.

"while there is still time for being saved" Erm, okaaaaay, fire n damnation, the end is nigh and all that. That's right, you are a long time dead.
Don't you realise all this "time is running out" nonsense is aimed at your life. You will ony live on the planet for about 80 years or so, so that's 80 years to prepare yourself for 'it'. That is it. It has nothing to do with the end of life as we know it.

If there is one thing I need salvation from, it's bible thumpers supporting their argument with quotes.

I think it's time for non-believers (unbelievers is bad grammar) to quote back at bible thumpers. Maybe we should quote passages from wikipedia in response?

It would be very frustrating I'm sure.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
The Bible is a book meant to be read by Christians. It doesn't make any sense for the unbeliever because the unbeliever cannot interpret it correctly for it's proper meaning.

How am I to become a believer then? Isn't the wisdom of God and Jesus contained within the Bible (according to Christians)?
So I must have faith and belief in God without reading the Bible before I can read it, though I can not truly know of his message, his love and his meaning until I do read it?
If you are being serious then anyone born without inherant belief in God (and if you are then it is false beleif as you can know nothing of him until you can read and consume the knowledge for yourself) can never know of him.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by memyself
What god is that to cruelly punish those who believe differently?

Yep, you are either in or out, and if you are out, then you are not part of the club, oh and because of that, here's a few quotes to make you feel guilty and baaaaaaaad.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by ElKapitan

Gets a star from me.

Hippocrates I think is the word.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Thistled:

I trust you have been reading my posts concerning just tossing out the good old book. You have said Christians are hipocrites (sp). I must ask you fairly do you believe that of my faith?

I have truly tried to show you that there are some of us, more than you think, that really believe in our Bible and the Word of God. The Scriptures give me joy and peace as well as a reminder of the path the Lord wants me to follow. But again, it is my own free will to embark upon this journey.

I am deeply hurt if I have come across as a hipocrite to you and that you were not able to see my love for Christ as something real and meaningful in my life.

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElKapitan

I have no issue with Christians, Catholics or any other religious denomination, what I do find hard to grasp is how Christians increasingly dismisses more and more of the bible yet still holds firm over its importance and 'truth'.
It seems that the bible becomes less and less relevant to our modern world and needs more and more 'interpretation' and contextualisation to be meaningful.

Good point. This is becouse so many bible apologist are trying to walk a tight rope or trying to make it all palatable in the face of current criticisms.

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

With respect grandma, I am not tarring ALL christians with the same brush.

I have pointed that out many times on this thread.

I am also extremely glad you have found peace and love with jesus. I am at one with my life without jesus. Equilibrium.

Imagine if you had no bible? I get the impression the bible dominates your life?? You quote from the bible quite often.

I wonder what path you would have taken without the book?

It can be done.

new topics

top topics

<< 24  25  26    28  29  30 >>

join