It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
why wouldnt there be any hope without a bible the bible it works for some people the ones who are at the bottom of the barrel people that cant see the light somtimes some people need somthing to believe in but you cant spell believe without lie the bible is like a history book who knows what the truth is and whats a lie but to say without a bible there is no hope is just not right i have hope and its not because of a bible and im not angry or upset its just my thoughts

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:41 AM
link   
why wouldnt there be any hope without a bible the bible it works for some people the ones who are at the bottom of the barrel people that cant see the light somtimes some people need somthing to believe in but you cant spell believe without lie the bible is like a history book who knows what the truth is and whats a lie but to say without a bible there is no hope is just not right i have hope and its not because of a bible and im not angry or upset its just my thoughts

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
To me, it doesn't seem like a very good rulebook, since there are so many contradictions:

ON THE SABBATH DAY
"Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy." -- Exodus 20:8

"One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind." -- Romans 14:5

ON THE PERMANENCY OF THE EARTH
"... the earth abideth for ever." -- Ecclesiastes1:4

"... the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up." -- 2 Peter 3:10

ON SEEING GOD
"... I have seen God face to face ..." -- Genesis 32:30

"No man hath seen God at any time..."-- John 1:18

ON THE POWER OF GOD
"... with God all things are possible." -- Matthew 19:26

"...The LORD was with Judah; and he drave out the inhabitants of the mountain; but could not drive out the inhabitants of the valley, because they had chariots of iron." -- Judges 1:19

ON DEALING WITH PERSONAL INJURY
"...thou shalt give life for life, Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe. " -- Exodus 21:23-25

"...ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other also." -- Matthew 5:39

ON CIRCUMCISION
"This is my covenant, which ye shall keep,between me and you and thy seed after thee; Every man child among you shall be circumcised." -- Genesis 17:10

"...if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing." -- Galatians 5:2

ON INCEST
"Cursed be he that lieth with his sister, the daughter of his father, or the daughter of this mother..." -- Deuteronomy 27:22

"And if a man shall take his sister, his father's daughter, or his mother's daughter...it is a wicked thing...." -- Leviticus 20:17

[But what was god's reaction to Abraham, who married his sister -- his father's daughter? See Genesis 20:11-12.]

"And God said unto Abraham, As for Sara thy wife...I bless her, and give thee a son also of her..." -- Genesis 17:15-16

ON TRUSTING GOD
"A good man obtaineth favour of the LORD..." -- Proverbs 12:2

Now consider the case of Job. After commissioning Satan to ruin Job financially and to slaughter his shepherds and children to win a petty bet with Satan. God asked Satan:

"Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? and still he holdeth fast his integrity, although thou movedst me against him, to destroy him without cause." -- Job 2:3

ON THE HOLY LIFE-STYLE
"Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart..." -- Ecclesiastes 9:7

"...they that rejoice, as though they rejoiced not..." -- 1 Corinthians 7:30

ON PUNISHING CRIME
"The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father..." -- Ezekiel 18:20

"I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation..."-- Exodus 20:5

[edit on 5-2-2009 by username371]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamjesus,satanandi

No one is saying that the bible is the only place where hope is found ...some on this thread are just trying to twist what is being said about the bible .

The bible is an OUTLINE of what was and what is and what will be ...(Directions,a roadmap,a diary ) ...
It fills in the gaps for us as we are pondering what was what is and what will be.Sure there is plenty that is not in there that we would like to know which I do believe that is where dreams and visions come in ..we do get shown other pieces of the pieces to the puzzle in them (at least I do )
It also inspires hope and builds faith in the believers ......

[edit on 5-2-2009 by Simplynoone]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

If god and jesus exists (as the bible tells it) why doesn’t it go into detail about the other planets. After all we are a spec of dust in his big creation of the universe. Why did he not teach us more about what’s really above us.

Maybe we have enough to think about down here and he just did not think we needed to know all of that yet ...I really dont know .....
And scripture says God has always been (he has no beginning and no end)

Of course this is all just my opinion ...

scripture says what i beleive then, god is a force rather like a wind. Life its self is proof of god. And science is searching for gods origin

but that isnt what is on debate here!

" Should the bible be ditched "

Only the reader or the innerself can decide that and noone has the right to make that decision for others. Not even parants or teachers!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The contradictions you bring up here can all be addressed (and have been). If you are really wondering about these (and you should..God tells us to test the scriptures) then do some googles about scholarly explanations of these alleged contradictions. The first one that you pointed out...about remembering the Sabbath and keeping it holy...In Romans, Paul was trying to remind the people not to be legalistic. The fact that they couldn't tear themselves away from the law was becoming a problem. The laws were still guidelines, but weren't needed in the same fashion as they were in the OT. Jesus' death and resurrection became the FINAL sacrifice. Trying to "find favor with God" wasn't done the way it used to be before grace. So...if you read the verse in context, it is saying that THE DAY isn't important. You might observe your Sabbath on Tuesday, while I work on Tuesday and I choose to observe mine Sunday. He was saying the idea behind it is important...taking a day to rest from work and to worship our Creator. Doesn't matter which day. The rest of the list can be figured out by going back and reading those verses in context.

For me to be persuaded to "ditch" the Bible...would take much more than someone cutting and pasting contradictions that haven't been researched. Again...God said to test these scriptures. They still stand...and there is no way on God's earth that this book will disappear. I don't care what any human does...people all over the world seem to get their hands on it and crave it...even though their lives depend on NOt possessing it (ex. China, Korea, communists countries). There's a reason that our feeble brains can't figure out...but the answer is in the book we're trying to hide from. Ironic huh?

I hope that no one ever "ditches" this book. Because the Bible turned my trash heap of a life into a garden of beauty. You have no idea...when I found out that I could be forgiven for everything I had done...my life changed. I don't want other people who just might be on the same path I was to not have the advantage of the bible that I had. My life is hard...but I have so much more support with Christ than I did alone!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by theflashor

I wholeheartly agree flashor ...take it or leave it ...at least it is there for us to get our hands on it to be able to read it if we so choose ...

Hey Dont ...I agree with you too ...great post ..star for you and flashor ..

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Dontmakemebethe1

Did you forgive yourself?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Only the reader or the innerself can decide that and noone has the right to make that decision for others. Not even parants or teachers!

Totally wrong! Being a parent means that I educate and set guidelines for my child to the best of my knowledge. A parent has to make decisions for the child every day.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by twistedworld

twistedworld:

Peace to you! Let me respond to your post that I have been a Christian/follower of Christ for over 30 years now. I do not keep my faith because of a fear of death. I truly have no fear of death. Is it because of my faith? Maybe, or maybe it is just because I know whom I believed and know that he is perfect until that day. Yes, I trust my Lord.

I could not throw out my bible. I get so much sweet love from that old book. It is like an old friend to me. I don't need it to feel the love of Christ as I feel that all the time. But, the bible has helped me find the path that leads home to the Father. Yes, there are some ugly things in that book and I don't pretend to tell you I understand them all, but I know one day I will, and that is good enough for me. I feel the OT has many wonderful verses that are so meaningful in out everyday lives.

Did you know that before you were even created in your mother's womb that the Lord KNEW you?

Did you know that God himself buried Moses?

Did you know that when Abraham was blessed by Melchizedek, that he was really Jesus Christ?

Did you know that King David came dancing and shouting with joy when bringing the Ark of The Covenant back to Jerusalem?

Did you know that Elijah and Enoch were the only two ever taken from this earth without death?

You see there is so much history in the OT and so many things that if you understand them helps one to understand the NT in ways you would not have before. I have been reading Scriptutres for over 30 years and I am still amazed that the Holy Spirit will show me a new meaning that I had overlooked before.

True faith is a journey. It is a lifetime journey. Along the way I see many beautiful things and experience many beautiful smiles. The Good Lord has given me sunshine to warm my face and the song of the birds to bring joy to my heart. When the wind blows ever so gentle across my cheek, God, touches my face.

I know this must sound strange, but believe me it is all true. I believe that we all are born with a spark that the Lord himself put there when we were being knited together in the secret place. We are a part of the Heavenly Father and he is part of us. When it is time that spark begins to burn a little bit and we feel this need to search for something, but we are still not sure what it is yet. As we begin to search, we gain spititual knowledg and become aware of an essence or a consciousness and we connect. It is upon that connection that we begin our journey/path to finding God. It is a most awesume journey you will ever take and it won't be out of fear or a fear of death. It will be out of love. The most beautiful love affair that you will ever have in your lifetime. All God asks of us is that we come to him on our own and that we love him because we want to love him, but believe me the love you get back is much more than you can ever give.

Could I get rid of that old book? No, not now. I take it with me everyday and I know where all my favorite stories are. When I was so sick 10 years ago, if not for my bible I would have fealt so alone.

You see my communion with God is real and very personal as everyone's own relationship should be. But I do believe that we all come to the Father in our own way when the time is ready. I enjoy my quiet time with God and when we are alone it takes me up so high I can touch heaven. He puts a song in my heart that only he and I can hear. It is truly a joy unspeakable and full of glory.

So, no, thankyou, I would prefer my bible to stay out of a glass case and by my bed.

Peace to you

Grandma

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Nichiren

Well i dont agree, because your a parent dont mean that you should FORCE your beleives onto your child. And even if you did when they reach 18 / 21 ultimatly its up to them to find their own ground and way in life. And the choice will ultimatly be theirs if they want to beleive or not.. If i am wrong in what i have said, and at 18 - 21 you would force upon your child a beleive that they didnt agree with your relationship would suffer!

So going back to what i previously said and i stand by NO ONE not parents or teachers have the right to force upon anyone beleives of a spirtual nature its for 1 to consider them selfs.

i have seen it with one of my friends his family used to force him to go to church he hated it. Do you think he go's now his 21 i think not. Although his family does and thats how it is!

Peace...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nichiren

Totally wrong! Being a parent means that I educate and set guidelines for my child to the best of my knowledge. A parent has to make decisions for the child every day.

Hmm, shoving religion down a child's throat is a good way to produce an athiest adult. Faith is a choice and they have to decide where they stand. You shoving it down their throats almost guarentees that they will rebel hard against you and they will also rebel against God because of the example you set. If they are only believing because you are making them, it won't last. They have to want it too.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I did not force my kids to go to church (because I didnt either lol) ...but I did tell them about the Lord and of course taught them to do good to others etc ..and themselves ...no revenge etc ......and if they did certainly it would backfire *what goes around does come around ...
But mostly I just lived by example the best I could ...
that led them to the Lord eventually (My oldest anyway) ....But not once did I push it on them .

I have friends (church peoples) that made their kids go and the Lord does not want anyone to be forced to know him ..and if you try and push a child to him they will just rebel worse (as you can see with Preachers kids etc) ..they can be some of the worst rebels that there is ..(rebel as in just plain evil and dont give crap about anyone ) anyway those kids all ran away from God and the church and their parents as fast as they could ..and of course are out rebelling big time ..
Anyone who is a control freak over their kids (which I know alot who are not even Christian who control to the point where the kids just turn and rebel to the point of almost killing themselves with self destructive behaviours) ...

So I did not force my kids about knowing the Lord (yes I talked about it all of the time but only because I loved the Lord so much that when I would talk about him my eyes would light up and they loved seeing me so happy when I talked about him that it made them want to hear more ...and they felt the Love of God during our talks ) ...and I also allowed them to have their own personality and make some of their own decisions ...(not all but the ones that mattered that would help them mature and be able to use critical thinking skills etc) ....
I believe they turned out really good ..except my youngest but he is still very young (21) and also has a mental problem ...but he is gonna be okay too ...and someday he will stop running and give his life another look and change it and I know he does believe in the Lord ..he is just not really ready to get to know him personally yet ...but he will ...
He has friends who are wiccan ..etc ..so he does know of other religions ..he just is not interested yet in any of it ..he is too busy being 20 ish ...

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Ditching the bible????...better still an American Revival!!!!...religions are for pigeons , to BE sheep we need to go deep...christianity, judaism,islam,catholics....all ruled by a "patriarchel blood cult"...rather simple concept of divide and war forever...its the little people always getting crushed.....a "blood cult" making sure their followers do the opposite of Jesus, Gandhi, Cesar Chavez and so many other great teachers(google Jesus diet Essenes) and you will quickly see why the Gospel of the Essenes(in which Jesus spoke the most) was intentionally excluded from the bible....(they were all vegetarians)(flesh n blood eaters like vampires"can't see the light, get it the TRUTH)....every artists rendition of the Promised Land plays upon the identicle theme...Big Beautiful Gardens w/ children and animals and the animals are never on the dinner plate....so you got a catholic pope who is a german jew, a jewish faith run by the adl(anti-defamation league--the criminal international bankers agents that control our congress via narco-dollars...and a population trained as non-thinking spectators experiancing the best hell has to offer...after all, King SAW the Promised Land...so where do you think you are????Kansas???....and the Last shall Be First...Leonard Peltier represents the 500 year suppression and RESISTANCE of the Native American...but of all Almighty's Sentients it be the animals, so maligned, abused and murdered...kind of like we do to ourselves..."As you do unto the Least of Me so ...."Unto Peter were given the Keys, so too the Law putting the world to its knees"..."mammon shall know Time standing still, this shall be so till 2 Doors have opened"...beyond these 2 Doors BE the Promised Land...

This site forewarns of several means of deployment of censorship...I have nothing to fear...if you care google my name Peter Tscherneff....myspace.com/peterpeace1...detailed info upon this topic and more...open to further diaologue....or perhaps this site is but yet another installed control game....either way all blessings be appropriatley dispensed

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

To guide a child is different but whos to say that one day your child does not choose that its time to ditch the bible as he feels it just doesnt add up. 1 + 1 dont make 3. I think church can be great for a childs upbringing as long as its not forced upon them. It teach's morals etc. But your post sounds like your defending your self why?! the orginal post was not targeting you.

peace man you have a good soul!

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Your statement only makes people grasp their bibles harder and strengthen their belief in it. The bible tells of people trying to do away with religion. Statements like these only help solidify the Christian beliefs.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Im personally not a bible hater, " Each to their own "

but i think its defnetly time to ditch the culture that surrounds the bible its the ignition and fuel to all world wars.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ant4AU
Your statement only makes people grasp their bibles harder and strengthen their belief in it. The bible tells of people trying to do away with religion. Statements like these only help solidify the Christian beliefs.

The other side of the coin. The false rebellion. As you point out, it puts them stronger in their beliefs. Each side views the other side as the evil, and they spin round round in duality/hypocrisy oblivious to any real truth.

This is from that movie esoteric agenda. It hits the nail on the head for many people who are anti-religion. After the 1:30 mark it goes off on another subject, but the first 1:30 seconds is right on.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by theflashor
Im personally not a bible hater, " Each to their own "

but i think its defnetly time to ditch the culture that surrounds the bible its the ignition and fuel to all world wars.

Not entirely, it is corrupt people that use their knowledge of the religion to get what they want from the people who just blindly follow without studying on their own. My opinion only.

posted on Feb, 6 2009 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I haven't read any of this thread but I had to throw in my two cents worth, free of charge.

The Bible, the Koran, the Talmud, and undoubtedly many other old religious books need to be treated more as writings of a bygone age, like Huckleberry Finn. They contain both wisdom and history and folly too. The God who created the universe (if he/she/it exists) didn't write those books. They were written by men and carry the marks of man's imperfection and marks of his greatness throughout.

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join