It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by switching yard

Seems like religions all have some drawbacks. They aren't simple enough for my taste and I really dislike the old guilt trip that it seems all religions spout which goes something like "this is the only truth, the only way to salvation" and so forth and so on. Whatever.

What could be more simple than accepting a free gift of eternal life offered through Jesus Christ?

He came to forgive all of us sinners because the Law proved that we are incapable of meeting God's Holy standard for heaven. Read your Bible friend, Jesus' message was one of forgiveness and His yoke is easy.

Seek Him diligently with your own eyes and prayers and He will be found.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
reply to post by crmanager

uk.youtube.com...

Not very "loving" is it?

So you want to eliminate a book based on you being offended?

Who really cares about your opinion?

You want to eliminate a RELIGION based on "Not very loving?"

You sound very much like the people you are disparaging.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager

reply to post by crmanager

uk.youtube.com...

Not very "loving" is it?

So you want to eliminate a book based on you being offended?

Who really cares about your opinion?

You want to eliminate a RELIGION based on "Not very loving?"

You sound very much like the people you are disparaging.

Who really cares about your opinion? Exactly.

You sound very much like the people you are disparaging. Exactly.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdmiralObamaGFOL

Forgive me.
How many times do I have to read this quotation? Do you see my point?
This isn't specifically aimed at you Admiral, lots of people have "quoted" it.

Even for the sake of changing a broken record (gramophone), is it not time to ditch the bible?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

I can easily say, why do you belive in something just because a book says so?

you along with anyone on this planet has ever seen god, and never will.

And i most likley garentee that if you reply. It will be one that turns a blind eye on my question and makes an excuse up that doesnt make sence.

All of you god belivers do it.
Most of you are probs realy nice people.
but yous are a total and utter bunch of cracker jacks!

I am SO glad you asked friend.

I am not a person who follows a crowd, or who swallows something just because I am told that it is truth.

I am however a person who will test and prove something before I base my beliefs upon it. You asked how I know God exists, here's how-

I was also challenged to read the Bible and ask God to reveal Himself to me if He was real. I decided to take Him up on the challenge one night because my life was a complete and total disaster. I was personally bankrupt, lost our new home and car, unemployed, smoking pot 2-3 times a day for more than 10 years, and on the verge of divorce.

You see I ran my own life for 30+ years and it was a complete train wreck. I prayed to God that night and told Him that if He was real, He could have me; otherwise I would end my own pathetic life and rid the world of me.

I slept that night with a peace that I've never had and woke up determined to learn more about my only hope of moving forward in this world. I read the Bible beginning in Matthew every day- begging and praying for Jesus to be real and help me. With a week I had flushed an ounce of pot down the toilet and I haven't had the desire since to smoke it.

I then began listening to Bible messages on the radio, and then attending church. I don't know why, but it made me feel like I was finally doing something that I should be doing. I was not a Bible thumping saint, but I wanted to do the right things if it meant that God would take care of me. I had given Him my life, I was incapable of helping myself. I hope that you never have to go that low in your life.

Within two weeks I received a call from the managing partner of one of the largest real estate companies in the city (Atlanta) asking me if I might have an interest in joining their newly incorporated mortgage company. Within a year I was running that mortgage company and was the youngest VP in the 600+ person company.

So many other blessings followed... a stranger I met offered to seller finance a home for me that he wanted to sell. The home was in an incredible nieghborhood 5 miles from my office- a bankrupt man buying a home! I was healed of chronic back pain during a dream where I breathed in smoke that I saw from the Holy Spirit. My back popped so loud when I breathed in that it woke me up!

The blessings go on and on my friend. God LOVES His children and wants everyone to be saved but we MUST take the path that He has provided through Jesus Christ. He promises to reveal Himself to those who diligently seek Him. What do you have to lose?? You have everything AND eternal life to gain.

Read His Word, start in the NT. Pray and ask sincerely for understanding. Jesus will not refuse you. Once you see Him, you will do everything possible to know Him and honor Him. You will make mistakes, but they are already forgiven to those who surrender themselves to Him.

Godspeed in your journey.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by twistedworld

Your existence really seems quite meaningless then. You really serve no useful purpose, other than to yourself alone. You should think about that because something is really lacking there. How wonderful life would be with everyone believing in nothing other than material goods...that sounds like, HELL.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Forgive me.

Even for the sake of changing a broken record (gramophone), is it not time to ditch the bible?

You are asking the right questions Thisled, and those words have touched you for a reason.

Read the Word and sincerely ask God to prove His existance to you. He gave us all free will for a reason and He delights in revealing Himself to those who humble themselves and ask.

Ask Him before you give up on hearing what He has to say to you. Seek Him like your life, or your own child's life depended on it; you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I find it so amusing, that people really think they can rationalize the creator out of existence. Whether you like it or not, whether you approve of it or not, you have absolutely no say in the matter, YOU WILL STAND BEFORE GOD, IN JUDGMENT. You have no choice, period. So, mock God all you want, denounce the Lord all you want but understand, you will stand before him, of this I have no doubt, just as I will stand before him. You denying him changes nothing, except gives you some false sense of reality. That is what makes me shake my head whenever I see this talk, you are going to personally have to explain yourself, your words, and your actions but by that time, it will be too late for you. Now is the time to wake up, not when you name is called. I know I'm wrong for laughing inside at the fools who think they can slander God or insult his word, but it's the one consolation I get when I see this day after day. You will answer, and be shown how wrong you were, and how your smugness is your downfall. Good luck, it will all right itself in the end and you will know the truth, but maybe it will have to smack you right in your arrogant face.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:45 PM
link   
It's a free will to believe in God. I dont know why anyone should have to prove anything. Because no one can prove a damn thing. And that's the only argument non believers have. And its a dam good one to. But let them have it. We know better.

The point is to let the word out. Not to force it. Its up to one self to take the responsibility.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by OldThinker

Thanks, OT, I think your posts are awesome. Time is short, so we have to continue to be watchmen........

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by greenfruit
It's not just Leviticus that advocates Cruelty and Violence try these:

Old Testament

Genesis
    Exodus
    Numbers
    Deuteronomy
    Joshua
    1 Samuel

New Testament is just full of cruelty and violence as well...

Time people read the Bible for what it is...101 on how to repress people.

greenfruit,

OT reads these type of posts...i.e. that faith is here to control people, here on ATS alot...

I am trying to be polite/patient/kind/etc here...but this is the absolute most confusing thing I have ever heard...why do you feel this way? What is it that happens to someone? Where do they live? Who has influenced someone in such a way?

For the life of me I just don't get it....I travel the world every year...all over...and oher than China or communist worlds freedo of religion is prominant....right?

I'm free to believe or not believe, are you? JC is my best friend, talk to Him everyday....for over 35 yrs....He is not about control,but about an invitation to know him...freely...

Your take on scripture is so narrow-I dunno how to say it....please study hermanuetics, ok???? A TEXT without a CONTEXT, is a PRETEXT!!!!!! Worthless....

Their in NO ugliness in the NT to anyone that does not desrve it...and that's up to God....

Really man....I would encourage you to get broader....in your scope...

See... search.live.com...

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   

What could be more simple than accepting a free gift of eternal life offered through Jesus Christ?

He came to forgive all of us sinners because the Law proved that we are incapable of meeting God's Holy standard for heaven. Read your Bible friend, Jesus' message was one of forgiveness and His yoke is easy.

Excuse me, but this free gift of eternal life is marketing. Where does Jesus ever say this is a free gift? He says if you believe him, then you will do what he says. You can't just "believe" in Jesus and do what you want. That would be a free gift. There are things you actually have to do.

Does Jesus tell the rich man - oh don't worry, it's a free gift, just believe in me. No. He tells the rich man to go give away his riches and walk the path. That it is easier to get a camel through the eye of a needle than a rich man into heaven.

And of course, someone is going to say "well, it just means you can't be attached to stuff". Fine, if the rich man wasn't attached to it, then he would have done what Jesus told him to do. Because he was attached to it, he couldn't give it away.

The grace of Jesus was in his life. That he did what he did knowing what the results would be. That is his grace. It is in his example, and the hope that you would follow his example that one becomes saved by his grace.

Over and over the words of Paul are used to take away from the life and message of Jesus.

This is what Paul uses for his words.

16For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

17For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.

18He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

19And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

20For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.

But what he forgets, ignores and manipulates is the numerous times Jesus specifically says those who believe will do as he says.

24Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:

25And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock.

26And every one that heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them not, shall be likened unto a foolish man, which built his house upon the sand:

27And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell: and great was the fall of it.

15If ye love me, keep my commandments.

21He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

And these are just a few quick examples, there are TONS more. It is probably one of the things he says most often overall.

Jesus tells people to seek, Paul claims nobody seeks.

Telling people it's a free gift is just marketing, and bad marketing at that. The same kind of marketing you see on infomercials. Free gift means you don't have to do anything for it. And that is no where near the message Jesus gave people.

Musta been some trickster Jesus that told the rich man to give his riches away to the poor. "hehe, lets see if the fool will do it. Don't let him know all he has to do is wait until I'm dead and get his free gift. Because of course my entire life is nothing but fulfilling prophecy and to be a sacrifice, not like what I say actually means anything".

[edit on 3-2-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

You are a PERFECT example of "Hello kettle, this is the pot. You're black."

Can't take it huh?

Relax spanky. I still would like you to explain why people must defend their religion because it offends your delicate sensibilities.

Christians don't need to to explain anything to you. Thanks, buh bye.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sezsue
reply to post by OldThinker

Thanks, OT, I think your posts are awesome. Time is short, so we have to continue to be watchmen........

Thank you sezsue....

Posting is great fun....because I've been afforded the time...

BUT....this subject is no fun...for those that choose wrongly!

OT

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Forgive me.

Again you cant stop the truth. You ditch the bible you ditch God. There is a judgment day. God is alive and there is a way to find him. Faith without works means nothing. And life after death is a big gamable. And end the end of times God will prove himself. Is it time to ditch the bible. I rather live a blind life in God than live without him.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by slymattb
Again you cant stop the truth. You ditch the bible you ditch God. There is a judgment day. God is alive and there is a way to find him. Faith without works means nothing. And life after death is a big gamable. And end the end of times God will prove himself. Is it time to ditch the bible. I rather live a blind life in God than live without him.

Sorry, but God doesn't need the bible. This is to suggest that god is limited in means of communication to only a book. This is untrue. Nor is the holy spirit limited to such a book. The Holy spirit can speak in "tongues", which is to say it can speak in a way for anyone to understand, all over the world.

You don't need the bible at all. All you have to do is seek the truth. Ask and it will be given. It is my experience that you will be able to see why the words of Jesus are true.

When you associate the bible as the only word of god, then you have made it a replacement for the word of god.

This is once again a marketing ploy. The same kinds of claims every product likes to make.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
You are taking about the "Old Testament", but why dont you talk about the message of Jesus? - that we are all loved equally, and that we should love one another? What is so sinister about that? Also in the "Old Testament" one of the ten commandments is "Thy shall not kill" (that everybody seems to ignore and pretend it somehow does'nt apply to them). So do you also recommend abandoning that?

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
If you are going to make a very bold statement as this, then you need to have real information to back you up and have a full understanding of what is being said. I am sick and tired of people taking excerpts of the Bible and twisting that real meaning.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by crmanager
reply to post by Thistled

You are a PERFECT example of "Hello kettle, this is the pot. You're black."

Can't take it huh?

Relax spanky. I still would like you to explain why people must defend their religion because it offends your delicate sensibilities.

Christians don't need to to explain anything to you. Thanks, buh bye.

It's funny, you tell me to relax (spanky) and yet reading your post, I think you are the one needing to consume a chill pill!

I don't want Christians to explain anything to me, in fact I am SICK of Christians trying to explain anything and everything to me.

A few think you know it all, quite the opposite, you're so brainwashed, you hardly know anything. That is a problem. Look at the video again. Go on. Are you proud of your "Brothers" and "Sisters"? For they aint no relatives of mine. They are the sinners, blinkered and guided by what a book tells them to do.

"Can't take it huh?" - Well that just sounds like a very weak thing to say, the sort of thing I'd expect from someone who is losing an argument and can't support what they are trying to convey, so you resort to that. Clever.

In light of your comments on the video, well that's great, cuz the people in that protest hold YOUR bible, that's right, they quote from the same scriptures, I hope you are very very proud of those individuals. Well of course you will be, you are one of them. Gather them all up and you have the collective IQ of a worm.

You say "I still would like you to explain why people must defend their religion because it offends your delicate sensibilities." then you follow it with, "Christians don't need to to explain anything to you. Thanks, buh bye."

Erm, Hippocrate, but of course bible followers can do that eh? Can follow what they like, when they like, and use the book to every means to upset as many people as possible.

I can see peeps like OT saying that is not true of all of us, and I know he is right. But this is the exception to the rule.

You better go get your placard, you got a lot of work to do in the states.

Good Luck! You'll need it.

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 05:25 AM
link   

You are asking the right questions Thisled, and those words have touched you for a reason.

Yes Admiral, and the reason is repitition. Sick of reading it over and over. Change the record - ditch the bible.

[edit on 4/2/2009 by Thistled]

new topics

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join