It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Far from ditching it, I think this is the time the Bible has been talking all along. It´s wisdom is ancient, and even the greatest of all prophets after it, is quite small in comparison. Even Nostradamus is small compared with the Word of God.

Some people will listen to you, those who will be damned. You choose whose side you will be in. Your choice.

If you open your eyes, you will see this is the end toimes, and you don´t even need to pay attention much.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Please feel free to ditch the Bible whenever you like. Fortunately for us, we live in a time when they won't put you in the stocks or torture you as a heretic for ignoring the Bible.

Chances are pretty good nobody's forcing you to believe or have anything to do with the Bible if you don't want to.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Anti - Government

Wars are started with and without religion too(But God gives authority to governments to protect their people through war)

Many married couples are together today because of their love for God and the understanding of His Word.

And as far as kids being bullied (would you rather walk down a street late at night and see eight big guys walking towards you who just came out a church and a Bible study or would you rather be approached by eight big guys who just came out of a bar?)

Anyone who thinks the Bible is not relevant to this day and age is in for a rude awakening.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by twistedworld

twistedworld:

In the Book of Acts we have the stoning of Stephen.
Stephen was preaching a real good sermon and some Jews got very angry by it because of the guilt they were feeling.........so they stoned on of Christ's Aspostles.

ACTS 9:57At this they covered their ears and, yelling at the top of their voices, they all rushed at him, dragged him out of the city and began to stone him. Meanwhile, the witnesses laid their clothes at the feet of a young man named Saul. While they were stoning him, Stephen prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them."

Now this most likely was kept in the archives of the Jewish Historian at the time.

We have reason to believe that the other disciples died this way:
Paul: beheaded in Rome by Nero
Peter: crucified on a cross, upside down
Phillip: maryted in Ethopia
James (brother of Christ) was thrown off a high building in Jeruslem.

Just because we don't have accurate records of thier death, really dosn't matter. What matters is the work they all done by spreading the Gospel throughout all of Asia Minor and beyond.

Remember, all of them, save for John died terrible, painful deaths. As they were being led away to die not one of them ever said: "Wait a minute here, I never really did believe in this guy Jesus. Never, followed him or had anything to do with him and his disciples."

Not one of them! They could have saved their lives if they had recanted what they were teaching. Not one of them ever did. They KNEW what they believed

ROMANS 8:38-39 "For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height, not depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord"

They were SURE of what they knew and what they saw. Sure enough to die for it and sure enough to understand that NOTHING could ever separate them from the love of God, NOTHING!

Peace to you,
Grandma

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
I know this will probably upset a few people and I apologise for this....

Is it not time to ditch the bible?

?????

Appreciate the caveat there, but why would you ask such a question?

OT

PS: Everyone, I mean EVERYONE 'I' know that honors the Bible are the type of persons I would trust my three daughters with, really...have you been exposed to some 'posers'??

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker
PS: Everyone, I mean EVERYONE 'I' know that honors the Bible are the type of persons I would trust my three daughters with, really...have you been exposed to some 'posers'??

I've never met anyone who lives strictly by the Bible, although maybe there are a few Amish running around who are giving it a good shot. Otherwise, most people just give it lip service. Most people who claim to live by it just pick and choose from it what is most convenient for them, and rationalize away the rest. These are the lukewarm water that Jesus would spit out. After all, Jesus himself said that to be a follower of him, one needs to walk away from their families, and give all their money away. How many people really do that?

And I'm not sure you'd really trust that kind of person with your daughters, unless you didn't mind if they ended up in some wacky cult in the mountains.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Nohup]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm06002

also it would be nice if you quoted the passages where it says such things since those quotes are essentially your whole argument.

Agreed, but since your entire argument seems to stem from:

without the bible there is no hope

Source please?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

hmm???

It is really about ENVIRONMENT and EXPERIENCE huh, right?

My kids are now adults...yours?

OT

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
First of all to the author, what the # do you care about me or anyone else. The bible is not the play book of evil dictators. but a good book full of stories that can help anyone with their own life. You want to get rid of a book that preaches peace, tolerance, and good will. What the # are you going to do for society? Oh wait, I know, bitch, and moan, and complain, but offer no comfort to someone who is crying, no money for the poor, and no patience for anyone not as cool as you think you are. At least some Christians are trying, its a lot easier to be "consistent" in your belief system when you believe in nothing. Leave Christians and their book alone. Or, try reading it, you may find it similar to many modern self help books.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I ditched the bible a very long time ago and have never been more happy or hopeful than I am today! Not to say I don't believe in God, but the bible I think had more to do with men than god anyway.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by sezsue

Hi Sezsue, thanks for the post.

I didn't post links, as I don't have to. These are just an example of some of them, although I'm sure you can find all ya need on the web

This topic wasn't even inspired by a webpage, just straight off my head.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by twistedworld
Why aren't there any records from ROME about any of the deciples or jesus? There isn't one single record of them existing and you have to wonder if they were such a threat to the empre then the government would have recorded them somewhere.

You get a star from me for that twisted.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone

No your wrong .....she just cannot understand why those who have no hope would try and take away the hope of others .....
I find that to be very cruel ...and selfish ....just because people are miserable they have to try and make everyone be as miserable as they are ..
misery loves company ..
It also boils down to jeliousy .my two exes were jelious of the fact that I loved the Lord as much as I did ..they thought they should be my god ...

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Simplynoone]

No Simply, she started to cry because she was losing an argument about something in the bible, so she then told him to back off. i.e. don't take my bible from me. Don't question the bible, it is always right. I think that is what was behind those tears.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by daptodave

Reminds me of the matrix concepts though; only those that want to wake up will.

Dave

Man that gave me a shiver up by back. Love it!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Someone in here is actually crying about a persons post on a subject about a book called the BIBLE? Are you kidding me??

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
After all, Jesus himself said that to be a follower of him, one needs to walk away from their families, and give all their money away. How many people really do that?

Trying to be somewhat understanding here....where do you come up with this EXTREMME stuff?

OT

OK....here...please listen.... .....

A TEXT WITHOUT A CONTEXT IS A ............PRETEXT....!!!!

Pls study HERMANUETICS....

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Nah twisted, one of the posters got into an argument with his wife over the bible (wow, bible causing an argument), he questioned something and his wife started to lose the argument and cried, then said, don't try to take the bible from me, in so many words.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   

No, no one here is 'crying' about this thread, I think.
It was about a posters wife.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldThinker

What exactly has your three daughters got to do with me ditching the bible?

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join