It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Know You Have The Right Religion?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

How Do You Know You Have The Right Religion?

This is easy...

If you subscribe to any organized religion, it is the wrong one...

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I believe that the odds of any god's existence is extremely low.
However, even if there is a god, wouldn't that being be more intelligent than we could imagine? Wouldn't that being at least be intelligent enough to know that it's not the belief in sky fairies that matters, but rather the actions we do on a daily bases?
Such a being - much smarter than humans - would have to know that a persons religion is vastly based on location and indoctrination. Such a being would not judge a person on such attributes which are largely out of our control.
Such a being would look at who we are, not what we were indoctrinated with.
Why is it so hard for people to realize this?
To say that your god is so concerned with you believing in something which can not be verified, only belittles your god. To say that your god would send a majority of foreigners to Hell (simply because they were not raised in the same society you are, where your faith is the norm), and that he would ignore their daily acts of kindess and gratitude, only belittles your god further.

Why is it so hard for people to understand this.
Thousands of years of people trying to understand what's beyond our universe. Philosophers, both known and unknown, and yet most seem to miss the most basic understanding of how our world works. Any god surely would not miss that basic understanding, and would know what's important in this world and what isn't.

Who cares about religion and unverified beliefs?
Just try to live a good life.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthParadox

That is pretty much my view as well. However some religions have that evil idea of original sin. We are all sinners as soon as we pop out of our mothers, as soon as we are conceived even.

I think if there were a god then he/she/it would just want you to live a decent life. Even if you were an atheist then died, a just god would accept you into heaven if you had lived a decent life. To deny you simply because you didn't believe in god would show god as having an enormous ego.

I think any organised religion is stupid because you cannot possibly know that you have picked the correct one, if there even is a correct one. The simple mathematical odds of you getting the right religion are very small.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

I think you answered your own question. It is religion that feeds hatred and is the base of most wars...religion is VERY different from spirituality. Religion is man-made and is a means of control and cripples the notion of personal responsibility...if god tell you to kill infidels, then you have permission to wantonly kill innocent people...if the devil made you do it, then you're not at fault....

In my view, the best religion is no religion...there will still be a spiritual reality for those who experience it. and it will be more pure and even more full.

I agree with your position on religion but spirituality can also cause the same set of problems. In other words, if people are living their lives for the spirit of this world, each building their own Kingdom of Selfishness, then all sorts of spiritually driven evil and confusion will manifest.

Conversely, if one is living for the Spirit of Christ(which is Love) then they are part of the Kingdom of Heaven, which is an unselfish way of life and free from confusion.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
Conversely, if one is living for the Spirit of Christ(which is Love) then they are part of the Kingdom of Heaven, which is an unselfish way of life and free from confusion.

Well let me be clear. The message of Christ (not that i believe he existed) is a peaceful one. Don't hurt others, don't trust the lenders, accept people for who and what they are. Those are all messages that sound good to me and i don't need Christ to tell me those things to follow them. I follow those principles as an atheist.

However many people invoke the name of Christ and yet are spouting such bile it's shocking. How many times have you heard "Jesus don't like no fags". I have heard that phrase in person, someone said it to me (even though i'm straight). At the time i was discussing the issue with an American woman and that is what she came out with, thinking that if i was defending gay people i must be gay.

I seem to remember one of the founding fathers of the USA wrote his own bible, concentrating on the teachings of jesus and cutting out all the bad parts. I wonder why that never caught on as a book?

I state again the premise of this thread. The chances of you picking the correct religion to get into heaven are very small. So you have several options.

Study your own religion, accept you're probably wrong and wish the best to anyone studying another religion.

Don't believe in any religion, lead a decent life and hope that if there is a god that he/she/it is merciful and will accept that you did no harm to others and just didn't know which religion to choose.

Study every religion, this would take your entire life and even then you probably wouldn't cover them all.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

You have the right religion if you are worshiping the right God, the ONLY GOD, the God who created you and all the things that you see and all the things that you don't see (spirits). You have the right religion if you are following the religion of your father Abraham and you recognize all the Prophets and Messengers of God and you don't make any distinction among them. You have the right religion if you give to the needy for fear of the Day of Reckoning when you would have to account for everything that you were given. You have the right religion if you believe that your original creation is from the dust of the earth, then from a drop of despised fluid and that after the term appointed for you is finished you will be returned to the One who gave you life.

You have the right religion if you know that this world is a place of probation, a place to gather points by doing good deeds and gaining the right weight for the Day of Balancing. You have the right religion if you know that you are living your last chance now to earn pardon from Your Lord, your last chance to come Home.

You have the right religion if you know that God created the Heavens and the Earth with truth and that everyday He exercises Universal Power. You have the right religion if you know that nothing happens in the Heavens and the Earth without God's sanction, not a leaf falls without His will and that everything that man has done from the beginning until the end has been written in the Scripture.

You have the right religion if you believe that everything you have said and done whether noble or impious is written down in your own book and that it will be sufficient as a reckoner for your soul on the Day of Judgment. Knowing that, the wise man among you should give out their words at the price of gold and make sure you send forth good things and write for yourself a good report that will stand you in good stead on that Day.

Finally, by Him in Whose hand is my soul... you have the right religion if you believe that There is Only One God and that Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Moses, Jesus and Muhammad are the Messengers of God.

161. Say: Lo! As for me, my Lord hath guided me unto a straight path, a right religion, the community of Abraham, the upright, who was no idolater.

162 Say: Lo! my worship and my sacrifice and my living and my dying are for Allah, Lord of the Worlds.

163 He hath no partner. This am I commanded, and I am first of those who surrender (unto Him).

164 Say: Shall I seek another than Allah for Lord, when He is Lord of all things? Each soul earneth only on its own account, nor doth any laden bear another's load. Then unto your Lord is your return and He will tell you that wherein ye differed.

165 He it is Who hath placed you as viceroys of the earth and hath exalted some of you in rank above others, that He may try you by (the test of) that which He hath given you. Lo! Thy Lord is swift in prosecution, and Lo! He verily is Forgiving, Merciful. 6:161-165

Peace to all Believers and Glad tidings!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
good thread .... I have often thought about this . being brought up a mormon , total indoctrination. when I was old enough to make my own mind up I stopped being a church member.
I still have hang ups about it 30+ years later.
the faiths who believe they are the chosen ones, are very dangerous and I believe cause most of the trouble in this world between people.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
good thread .... I have often thought about this . being brought up a mormon , total indoctrination. when I was old enough to make my own mind up I stopped being a church member.
I still have hang ups about it 30+ years later.
the faiths who believe they are the chosen ones, are very dangerous and I believe cause most of the trouble in this world between people.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   

It will be good if you too will act on your own advise.

Everything in the Heavens and in the Earth are proofs that there is a God, you are proof that God exists, without the Creator there is no creation. Everywhere you turn there is God's countenance, but you must look with the eyes of your heart before it becomes blind... in truth it is not the eyes but its the heart that grows blind and then you will never find the way.

Belief in God is the primary foundation in every man's spiritual growth, to not believe in God is the worst thing that a man can do because he is locking away the Mercy of God, any other sin is pardonable except this.

There is nothing real in a world that keeps changing, the only reality is God. To hold on to God is the best thing that a man can do, He is the Protecting Guardian of those who believe in Him and He bring them out of darkness into the light and strengthen them with a Spirit from Him.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Everyone has to walk their own path.

Don't just take things on blind faith but explore an understanding of the spiritual for yourself.

There is no "right" religion. Try to not be scared of some after life punishment, there is nothing to worry about in that regards, you weren't created only to be punished for all eternity.

Avoid becoming another mans slave, and learn to recognize when you come across someone with a lesson worth learning.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
TruthParadox,

What are the basis of these odds if you care to elaborate.

However, even if there is a god, wouldn't that being be more intelligent than we could imagine? Wouldn't that being at least be intelligent enough to know that it's not the belief in sky fairies that matters, but rather the actions we do on a daily bases?

No man can encompass His intelligence while He encompass ALL knowledge, the very little LITTLE that man knows has made him feel independent and fearless and blasphemous making a joke of grave matters BUT all without exception are returning to God and on that Day you will all be submissive.

There are no sky fairies and only good actions can count in your favor IF you want to concentrate on your daily existence.

Such a being - much smarter than humans - would have to know that a persons religion is vastly based on location and indoctrination. Such a being would not judge a person on such attributes which are largely out of our control.

Such Being has given you the internet and has created for you this beast from the earth (computer) so that you won't have to travel long years from place to place in search of knowledge. He has put all the Knowledge that will be useful to your spiritual growth if it were matters of enlightenment you were after so that you cannot complain on the Day of Judgment.

If the Knowledge of the Truth did not reach you or there was no way for you to find out, you will not be judged, you don't have to die in the faith that you grew up with. God gave you a chance to find out the Truth, why do you think you are here now?

To say that your god is so concerned with you believing in something which can not be verified, only belittles your god.

This kind of thinking belittles you not God. Nothing can belittle Him and He is in need of Nothing while man is need of everything. Have you thought if God should make night everlasting until the day of Resurrection, who is the God who can bring you light? What is it that you wanted to verify? The perfection of Faith is in believing in God as if you can see Him and if you cannot achieve this devotion, then to believe that if you cannot see Him, He sees you.

To say that your god would send a majority of foreigners to Hell (simply because they were not raised in the same society you are, where your faith is the norm), and that he would ignore their daily acts of kindess and gratitude, only belittles your god further.

God will not destroy a community before He has sent a Messenger to warn them, and God will never wrong any man, He will bring out even an atom's weight of evil that a man has done and even an atom's weight of good, so don't try to say that God is unjust since he is the Most Just of Judges. He never ignore an act of kindness, He writes one good deed in your book as ten good deeds and a bad deed as only one bad deed. He is the Most Merciful to His servants.

As for sending people to Hell, if God had saved only 80 people in the Ark with Noah and destroyed the rest of the wicked, if He saved only three people out of Sodom and Gomorrah and the countless other generations before us because of their impiety and Idolatry and their rejection of God's messengers, they were all judged rightly and they were never wronged.

Why is it so hard for people to understand this.

Clear up the light in your heart and start again. But this time without blaspheming God. Seek guidance from Him, He guides whomever wills to be guided in a straight path.

Thousands of years of people trying to understand what's beyond our universe. Philosophers, both known and unknown, and yet most seem to miss the most basic understanding of how our world works. Any god surely would not miss that basic understanding, and would know what's important in this world and what isn't.

God alone is the Knower of the Invisible and the Visible, He lets mankind know what He wills them to know. He made known to man all things that he needs to learn to get back Home, but man choose to pursue the Unknown rather than what is made known to him missing the whole point of his existence which is to serve God in any way he can by establishing a proper worship and giving to the poor, is that so hard considering that God ministers your breath every second and give you livelihood, clothed you, gave you family and all other things you need. is that so hard to understand?

Who cares about religion and unverified beliefs?

ALL mankind should care. Whether you believe it or not. The Day of Resurrection is true, as true as I am talking to you. If you do good and believe in God it is for the good of your souls, God is Merciful, He guides the hearts of believers. If you turn away, then bear witness that you received the message. The messengers duty is only to deliver the message.

Just try to live a good life.

You can serve God and still have a good life. Praise God and thank Him for the things that He gives you, God loves the thankful. Give to the needy for fear of God, be kind to your parents, and be a good neighbor. Spread love not hate and Glorify God in everything that you do.

Peace!

[edit on 3-2-2009 by queenofangels_17]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Here is a message for all

www.e-water.net...

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by queenofangels_17

What are the basis of these odds if you care to elaborate.

The same odds assigned to an extraordinary story or myth which has no evidence to back it up. Moreover, there are numerous errors in many religions and in the Bible (to be specific). To top it off, I prayed to god for as long as I can remember (until age 18), and I've since learned that the "response" I recieved was merely linked with my own subconscious and my own longing for religion to be right.
If God does exist, he sure as Hell isn't doing a good job of showing it - except to those who are willing to brainwash themselves into believing their own feelings as if they were fact...

But in short (without getting into all the arguments, errors, contradictions, etc):
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - not only does religion have no evidence, but it many times goes against scientific evidence in order to be "right".

No man can encompass His intelligence while He encompass ALL knowledge, the very little LITTLE that man knows has made him feel independent and fearless and blasphemous making a joke of grave matters BUT all without exception are returning to God and on that Day you will all be submissive.

There are no sky fairies and only good actions can count in your favor IF you want to concentrate on your daily existence.

If your God does exist, I'd like to think that he's smart enough to understand that his creation (you know, humans, which he made...) work by believing things which have a physical or logical bases. He would not "judge" anyone who required physical or logical reasons to believe in a god - rather, he would encourage that, as that's obviously how he made us.
If you're saying that God judges us solely on our beliefs, then you are saying that he made us one way only to judge us unless we act in another way. What sense does that make?

The bottom line:
I'm a nice guy. From what I've seen, I'm nicer than most Christians.
If your God still decided to send me to Hell, then that would say more of him than it would of me...

Such Being has given you the internet and has created for you this beast from the earth (computer) so that you won't have to travel long years from place to place in search of knowledge. He has put all the Knowledge that will be useful to your spiritual growth if it were matters of enlightenment you were after so that you cannot complain on the Day of Judgment.

lol... it doesn't matter. I'm talking about people who are born in other locations. People who are not raised in a society which accepts your religion are also not likely to embrace it later in life. The major difference between the average foreigner and the average American would be the indoctrination. So to say that your God would judge in such a way makes him a racist as the playing field is not even close to even. This is just another problem stacked on top of countless other errors in religion.

If the Knowledge of the Truth did not reach you or there was no way for you to find out, you will not be judged, you don't have to die in the faith that you grew up with. God gave you a chance to find out the Truth, why do you think you are here now?

I look for the truth on a daily bases. It's what lead me away from religion.

Saying "God gave you a chance" is ludicrous on several levels.
It's like if I were to put 1,000 babies in a huge dark room with 1,000 different doors, and 1,000 different voices each saying which door is the right one. Behind one door is eternal bliss, behind the other 999 there is eternal torment. Oh well, I gave them a chance. They can't complain...

You can not claim that your reasons for being religious are more verified than my reasons for not being religious, so the whole point is moot.

To say that your god is so concerned with you believing in something which can not be verified, only belittles your god.

This kind of thinking belittles you not God. Nothing can belittle Him and He is in need of Nothing while man is need of everything. Have you thought if God should make night everlasting until the day of Resurrection, who is the God who can bring you light? What is it that you wanted to verify? The perfection of Faith is in believing in God as if you can see Him and if you cannot achieve this devotion, then to believe that if you cannot see Him, He sees you.

Actually it does belittle your God. It makes him an ego maniac. If he was truely just, he would only care about our actions and how we lived our lives. He wouldn't care if we were indoctrinated as kids and believed in him, or if we were not indoctrinated as kids and did not believe in him.

If the country you live in had a new leader, and he demanded that you put your trust in him or even worship him, instead of just doing what you know is right on a daily bases, what would you think of that man?

As for sending people to Hell, if God had saved only 80 people in the Ark with Noah and destroyed the rest of the wicked, if He saved only three people out of Sodom and Gomorrah and the countless other generations before us because of their impiety and Idolatry and their rejection of God's messengers, they were all judged rightly and they were never wronged.

Except for the children, right? I wonder what his reason was for killing the children in Noah's time, and in Sodom and Gomorrah...

Clear up the light in your heart and start again. But this time without blaspheming God. Seek guidance from Him, He guides whomever wills to be guided in a straight path.

I tried that...
In the months (yes, months) it took for me to 'convert' to atheism, I would pray every night, saying that if my logic was somehow flawed to tell me in someway or to give me answers.
Because there is no purpose for eternal torment - none. And that's what ultimately lead me away from the faith. Though once I became an atheist, my mind was unbiased, and I was able to see all the errors in religion which I had ignored my whole life.

God alone is the Knower of the Invisible and the Visible, He lets mankind know what He wills them to know. He made known to man all things that he needs to learn to get back Home, but man choose to pursue the Unknown rather than what is made known

This is the same kind of vague BS that I've become immune to. I see right through it. I could replace "Zeus" with "God" and it would be just as 'accurate'...

to him missing the whole point of his existence which is to serve God in any way he can by establishing a proper worship and giving to the poor, is that so hard considering that God ministers your breath every second and give you livelihood, clothed you, gave you family and all other things you need. is that so hard to understand?

I could ask you the same question concerning many different religions (yes, there are other religions besides Christianity).
And what would be your answer to that?

Ditto.

You can serve God and still have a good life.

Indeed.
But you seemed to miss the whole point I was making.
You can serve no god and still live a good life.
But God doesn't care about that unless you worship HIM...

[edit on 4-2-2009 by TruthParadox]

posted on Feb, 9 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by ReelView

I am guessing you are referencing christianity as the 'one and true' religion. My question to you is, which version are you referencing? There are like, what, 800 variations? That leaves 799 variations of which, that the people who follow ain't going to make it.

Chrono

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join