It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do You Know You Have The Right Religion?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Take a look around the world. There are thousands of religions. The chances are that your religion depends on where you are born, some people choose religion later in life as a conscious thing but this isn't the majority. Most people are raised in their religions from birth.

Now as there are thousands of religions the odds are you haven't picked the right one. You might think you feel god and that's how you know however do you think a christian feels god more strongly than a muslim, pagan, jew, mormon etc?

No, you all feel it as strongly as one another depending on the strength of your belief.

Do you have the right religion? Probably not.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I've thought about this myself many times. To make a long story short, I finally came to my own belief that the God that many people worship wouldn't be so cool if He/She/It sent billions of people to "hell" for practicing the "wrong" religion. Like you said, people most often tend to practice the prevailing religion of their birthplace. This statement here can send many people into quite a headspin; but to think with all the things going on God would be offended by a mere discussion

I do believe in God, but I think that, of course, religions are made up by people and whether they know it or not, pretty much lead to the same "God".

Then there's that whole creator God and source God conversation. That's probably already in another thread.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Good question! It's fun to ask people what religions or sects they considered before they chose the one they follow. Most of them never considered any others. They follow what they grew up with or what is popular in their area, but, at least in the U.S., they won't admit that. They'll try to fake an answer to look like they gave it some thought. I keep picking and asking which ones they considered and what it was about the other religions/sects that they rejected. This is especially fun if they cite a reason that has something in common with another religion. For example, if they want to tell me about the peace and love in Christianity(?!), I'll ask them what it was about Jainism they didn't accept.

My religion? None.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

I think you answered your own question. It is religion that feeds hatred and is the base of most wars...religion is VERY different from spirituality. Religion is man-made and is a means of control and cripples the notion of personal responsibility...if god tell you to kill infidels, then you have permission to wantonly kill innocent people...if the devil made you do it, then you're not at fault....

In my view, the best religion is no religion...there will still be a spiritual reality for those who experience it. and it will be more pure and even more full.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
There is a God and he is a gag writer.

I like when people talk about him/she/it as if they speak from knowledge of what he/she/it knows.

I once heard somebody say that if you hear somebody talking about how humble they are they are not being very humble.

The God I know today is not the one I grew up with. Today my God is all powerful and all loving. He is not jealous nor vengeful!

My personal relationship with my higher power works for me and may not work for others yet I will respect others right to worship what and how others do.

I see the similarities in most religions but I prefer a spiritual relationship with my higher power whom I call God.

PEACE

SLAY

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:35 AM
link   
There is only one truth there are an infinite number of lies. There is no need for more than one true religion. There is only one, the rest are lies. There is one current of redemption conducted by on living human being at a time.

Ultimately, everyone must start with faith but ones capacity or privilege in discerning what is the correct path is primarily dependent on the individuals karmic state. If there is no good reason for an individual spirit to continue cycling in the regions of matter they will be fortunate and also more intuitively sensitive to where the truth lies.

If the spirit is not yet ready to leave matter for good, then it will incline itself to a false religion suitable to its karmic needs.

You are quite correct in encouraging people to sincerely introspect as to their true condition, faith and satisfaction. If someone is content, whether their religion is true or a lie, that is where they belong for the moment. This helps to keep true religion from being burdened by the insincere who will only want selfish worldly desires gratified.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Of course MY country is the one with the right religion. We are the good guys! Bush even listened to God when he fought those evildoers in their caves with airplanes or whatever it was. If the American religion is not the right one, then how come God speaks to the president?

Exactly. U-S-A! U-S-A!

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

you know it's right when you have confirmation from the supreme being, no human can tell you, man cannot be trusted.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Copernicus

Of course MY country is the one with the right religion. We are the good guys! Bush even listened to God when he fought those evildoers in their caves with airplanes or whatever it was. If the American religion is not the right one, then how come God speaks to the president?

Exactly. U-S-A! U-S-A!

I'm pretty sure you're being ironic here so i'll answer it like that. Well this isn't really about the politics, the wars or anything else that religion touches. It's not about the good and bad side it's simply about the ridiculous idea of claiming you have the right religion when there are so many to choose from.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I think you meant sarcastic and yes it seems Americans only laugh at sarcasm, how ever on the topic of religion its fair to assume in 2000 years we will be worshiping something different...how do I know this ?

History shows we went from Moon worship, to Saturn worship and Sun worship and then as society got more sophisticated we had to have more and more gods until we ended up with monotheism which has lasted a while now and will probably subside with this generation into materialism and self adulation.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by mazzroth]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
I'm pretty sure you're being ironic here so i'll answer it like that. Well this isn't really about the politics, the wars or anything else that religion touches. It's not about the good and bad side it's simply about the ridiculous idea of claiming you have the right religion when there are so many to choose from.

Yes, I was being ironic and yes I agree with you. Either none of us have the "right" religion or all of us do. The definition of what is the "right" religion has to be the one where there is a real God. Since this is up to faith alone, there is no way to find a objective answer to the question. The answer varies depending on who you ask. People are picking the religion they have learned from their parents or friends because they feel comfortable with it. Its more about psychological processes than anything else.

Personally, Ive found nothing in my life that makes me believe in a God. I think there is much more to the reality we are living in than we currently know about, and there are lots of signs of that in unexplained phenomenon all over the place. But so far I have seen nothing making me think there is a God who cares about human beings on this rock we call Earth in the middle of nowhere.

There is a intelligent beauty to the universe and its worlds though, and if you look at the million things needed to be exactly right for us to be able to exist, its hard to believe its all random. It could be, but I doubt it. The odds that there is something more to this reality than simple randomness are high. But I dont believe in a God according to its definition.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
There is a God and he is a gag writer.

I like when people talk about him/she/it as if they speak from knowledge of what he/she/it knows.

I once heard somebody say that if you hear somebody talking about how humble they are they are not being very humble.

The God I know today is not the one I grew up with. Today my God is all powerful and all loving. He is not jealous nor vengeful!

My personal relationship with my higher power works for me and may not work for others yet I will respect others right to worship what and how others do.

I see the similarities in most religions but I prefer a spiritual relationship with my higher power whom I call God.

PEACE

SLAY

you and I are close to being on the same page, slayer; the creator of all things in the universe is the one; and developement of spirit is the key, for we are all beings of spirit having a human experience.

religion is a tool; sure, it can lead to a belief in a god, and it is part of our programming to believe in something; I was basically a lost sheep until I had a nde;

oh, i had been baptised as a christian in my teens, but it didn't feel right, and I had found it on my own. But the nde and the conscious memories that I retained of it changed my outlook drastically, for it seems the creator isn't interested in religions of any kind, the focus is on our experiences and spiritual growth.

So I agree with you, a personal spiritual relationship is the way that works for me.

-seeker-

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Good post...even with the pessimistic conclusion.

As far as my own conscience goes, I'd like to think my religion is "right" because it answers the question "why?"

Why am I the way I am?
Why am I here?
Why do I suffer?
and on and on...

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
I think you meant sarcastic and yes it seems Americans only laugh at sarcasm, how ever on the topic of religion its fair to assume in 2000 years we will be worshiping something different...how do I know this ?

No i think ironic was the right way to put it as sarcastic is just the opposite thing whereas he/she was making a comment about america as a whole. I dunno i've been up for 32 hours my mind nprobably isn't right on at this point
However it's not important to the thread.

Originally posted by monkcaw
Good post...even with the pessimistic conclusion.

The conclusion isn't pessimistic in any way shape or form. It's based simply on the odds of you getting it correct. Im not saying it's a good or bad thing as i don't believe in a god it doesn't matter to me which religion someone chooses as the outcome is the same. I am simply trying to understand how someone can say with certainty they have the right religion.

It makes absolutely no logical sense to say you have the right religion. You have no clue it's the right one and usually picked it because your parents told you it was correct. You might feel god but so do followers of other faiths and that can very easily be explained with neurological studies. We can track which chemicals cause these feelings of elation.

That's not to say i am calling this proof of there not being a god. That isn't what this thread is about. I'm just saying that is all the religious followers are receiving these same feelings then obviously picking the correct religion would be rather difficult.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
I think it's pretty sad, when people who claim to believe in the supreme being, never ask him his opinioin, just ask him, he will let you know, if you are of the right religion, if you have no courage to ask then you have not enough faith to ask. The arrogance of not even asking is what stumps most people, they think they know it all, I personally ask the supreme being differing questions on differing subjects on a regular basis, he can, does and will answer if you ask in faith believing the supreme being exists, believing he can hear you in real-time, don't believe me? try it out for yourself.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Razimus]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
I think it's pretty sad, when people who claim to believe in the supreme being, never ask him his opinioin, just ask him, he will let you know, if you are of the right religion, if you have no courage to ask then you have not enough faith to ask. The arrogance of not even asking is what stumps most people, they think they know it all, I personally ask the supreme being differing questions on differing subjects on a regular basis, he can, does and will answer if you ask in faith believing the supreme being exists, believing he can hear you in real-time, don't believe me? try it out for yourself.

Where is the line between the insanity of hearing voices and the sanity of hearing the divine? Please try and explain that one logically otherwise i can write off anyone hearing mutterings as being mentally unstable.

However the subconscious can also answer us and that's perfectly sane. Maybe you are just hearing your subconscious, which usually knows whats best for us. However i'm afraid you missed the point of the thread.

A christian could ask god if it's the right religion and get the reply that it is, a jew could do the same and get the same reply. This works along a basic psychological principle. If we want something to be true and look at it through the eyes of a believer then we will see it as true and get the answers we crave.

Just look at Conan Doyle and his belief in fairies.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:56 AM
link   
There's no such thing as the right religion. Invariably, when people say that their religion is the right one, or the only true one - other people die.

IMHO you do not need religion to be a good person and do the right things by others. One wonders why we even have them at all. Completely useless and outdated.

IRM

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Good question and can be illustrated this way.

You have a A380 Airbus which can fit up to 853 people(economy class) in that plane you have 1 person from every major belief structure that is living or has lived, and each person is faithful and devout to their religious ideals, or not if they don't have any.

Here are some examples:

1)Christianity
a)Catholicism
b)Protestantism
c)Mormon
d)Orthodoxy
e)Jehovah's Witness's
f)Non-denominational Christians
g)Unitarianism
2)Hinduism
3)Sikhism
4)Islam
5)Buddhism
6)Judaism
7)Baha'i
8)Confucianism
9)Shinto
10)Taoist
11)Primal indigenous (Native Tribal)
12)Rastafarian
13)Jainism
14)Scientology
15)Paganism
16)Wicca
17)Atheist
19)Spiritism

And there are many more divisions within the stated religions, but you get the point.
There are enough seats so let's add another variable you have one bad & one good person from each religious group. Each one of these people has there own unique idea about what happens to them at death, and what happens whether they lived a good or bad life. Now the plane crashes and everybody is killed!

DO THEY ALL GO WHERE THEIR BELIEF TELLS THEM THEY ARE GOING?

The answer to this of course is no, there can only be one true reality at death for all humans regardless of belief structure. It doesn't matter how many people believe it, or how sincere they are. The outcome at death is the same for all people.

Which brings us to the endgame point if your personal belief or faith of what happens at death is wrong, you can't have the correct religion. And that's just one area.

Something to think about.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

I do believe in a higher power !And i have asked,i have begged for help to know the truth and if i am in the right religion!I have asked who is the divine entity is and how to worship him?

I have in fact looked into many other religions ,but the do not seem to represent the being i worship.

I find it very difficult to see him as the god of the old testament.....a god looking for any mistake to punish you ,either with troubles in this world or eternal death,also Jesus always quoted from the old testement ,so is my god the same god as the old testement (i find it very difficult to believe)

i really do not know what to think!!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
When you start to use the mind your creator gave you to question your religion and start to search for real answers instead. When your spirituality becomes self directed, and you begin to truly not judge other people, but accept them and care about this world where so many are suffering and fighting wars for the profit of the bloodlines. When you begin to think religion has been serving these bloodlines as well. That may not be when you know you have the right religion, but I think its when you're on the right path.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join