It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is every election like the 2008 election?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I'm only 19 years old. I'm somewhat new to elections. I remember the 2004 elections with John Kerry and George W Bush and reading about John Kerry. I don't remember seeing much campaign ads or people getting this crazy in 2004. I imagine there was a lot of hate on both sides. I just wonder if it's always like this. If so, then what can we do to tell people the truth about these politicians and how they have always been doing this and the only way that they'll stop being manipulated is to hold these politicians accountable for their actions. I'm just curious because I saw a lot of people who I thought were smart, or, I know usually are smart, be ignorant of the Republican side, or of the Democrat side. Most of the Democrats I know voted for Obama because they didn't like Bush and since they're Democratic, but, I think John McCain hurt the GOP a lot, as I saw a lot of hate for the Republicans on the internet. I gained some respect for the GOP because it was during that election cycle that I found out about Ron Paul and I started to read about politics after I read his book. I felt inspired by his movement. But then, all these other people remained ignorant. Is it always like this? One candidate comes along and wakes some of us up and then the rest of the masses remains ignorant? What can we do about this? Can something be done?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Election days in the western world are are chance to see the oppinions of people their votes will never have any bearing on the result, its all pre-determined.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The MSM controls the masses. The independent journalist ceased to exist a long time ago.

I think even u-tube was caught fixing the numbers of times videos were viewed, basically keeping Ron Paul's off of the front page, where they display those that have been watched the most.

People just aren't going to wake up to the facts if they simply have no idea they exist.

Peace

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I've been voting well umm for a while now lets just say that most have been average campaigns but I remember a few heated ones I think this last one had been one of the better ones.

IMO

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Really?

So you think an election where we had a guy that hasn't done much of anything in his Senate Career and a person who gained national attention and adoration due to the fact that he was shot down in a plane in Vietnam (not shot at any planes) was one of the better elections?

Can you please tell me more about what you mean?

Exactly why is this election better than the others.

I saw a lot of hate fuming from both sides this election. I even spewed hate at the Republicans at one point in time. I won't let the media get to me during the next election. In an election that which you see so much hate coming from both sides like you've seen in this one how could you justify that this one was better than others? I'm interested in your position.

Are you saying that the others were boring, worse, or what? I don't understand.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by SLAYER69

Really?

So you think an election where we had a guy that hasn't done much of anything in his Senate Career and a person who gained national attention and adoration due to the fact that he was shot down in a plane in Vietnam (not shot at any planes) was one of the better elections?

Can you please tell me more about what you mean?

Exactly why is this election better than the others.

I'm interested in your position.

Are you saying that the others were boring, worse, or what? I don't understand.

Well for the first part who said anything about nam?

As far as the frustration it always gets pretty heated. That all depends on how passionate people are about their candidates my new fiance never participated in an American elections nor paid any attention to them she is Canadian so it never really mattered to her.

But this time she was and she was amazed about the whole thing and thought that was a unique election yadda yadda blah blah blah.

It's just that she never paid attention and you said this was your first, trust me by the time you reach your 40s you'll have seen a lot hopefully some good and not many bad ones.

Remember that 49% did not vote for the present President I think Reagan got into the white by a landslide over Carter that was a pretty heavy one also When Clinton crushed Bush Sr.

yeah they get pretty heated.
Nothing new here.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:29 PM
link   
One election that was very similar to this was the Kennedy-Nixon fracas. Kennedy's claim to fame was that he was from a political dynasty and he'd manned a PT boat during WWII and had a ghostwriter turn it into a dynamic book where he was the Greatest American Hero.

The affection for Kennedy and Jackie was every bit as over the top as the affection for Obama.

And if you want to get into REALLY wild electioneering, read up on some of the elections of the 1800's.

I believe it was Molly Ivins who said that politics is one of the finest blood sports around.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Is every election like the 2008 election?

In what aspect? If you mean this - Is every election like the 2008 election in that the Bildebergers put their boy in so they really control the country - then YES. This has been going on for a very long time.

Originally posted by Byrd
The affection for Kennedy and Jackie was every bit as over the top as the affection for Obama.

It was very strong and it was misplaced for them as well.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I think the reason Obama has so many supporters is because he beat Hillary in the primaries. After that, I knew he would have the media all over him and people would love him. But why are people having these orgies over him? Is it because they want change that much? I mean he's doing well so far. He's only broken one promise. But, these people are obsessive over him. Just as obsessive as the right were about Sarah Palin. It's disgusting.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I thought this one was tame compared to 2004, at least here on ATS.

What was unique about this one was the use of the internet. Obama was ALL over that.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Well I voted for the second time last year . The common thread between the New Zealand and US elections was the generation shift and the mantle of change . In New Zealand at least the mantle of change is or was a hoax. Nether(SP?) the mantle for change or the generational shift is seen at every election . In the US the generational shift was more transparent or in the extreme because Obama knows what an iPod is and it was reported that McCain doesnt know how to operate a computer . Well that is my take any way .

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I agree with intrepid 100%

Very tame compared to 04 or even for that matter 00...

"We" as a group saw and experienced a lot of controversy due to the internet, but I think the average citizen felt this was a mild election.

Semper

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
One thing that was unique about this election was that the campaigning on the democrats side started in 2006.
That's a long time for the media to work on peoples opinions.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
64' was more of a bitter election that 2008 was... in my personal opinion I would add the 80' and 92' elections as comparitively fierce. Oh yes and ofcourse Kennedy and Nixon, now that was another bitter race to compare to 2008.

This is one of the bit fierce presidential campaigns though, the 2008 one.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

What about all of this Obama's birth certificate stuff?

And the Obama is a terrorist stuff?

I don't consider that tame at all...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Perhaps YOU don't.

Those of us that have lived through several elections, do.

Allegations are simply that.

Remember:

"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I agree young first timers and newcomers to American elections will come away with thinking this was the end all be all of elections simply because this was the first time they actually paid any attention to it.

as far as being unigue? I agree in that this is the first African American President after that meet the new boss same as the old boss.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This election got very heated for three big reasons:

1. The MSM relentlessly painted the Bush administration as war mongerers and evil men and women while giving Congress a pass for years before the election

2. Because of #1, hate levels for the Bush administration grew to astronomical proportions; people wanted them out and didn't care who replaced Bush, even if it was a tyrant

3. A black man was the front runner for president. Argue this point all you want but race had MUCH to do with the 2008 election

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by southern_Guardian
64' was more of a bitter election that 2008 was... in my personal opinion I would add the 80' and 92' elections as comparitively fierce. Oh yes and ofcourse Kennedy and Nixon, now that was another bitter race to compare to 2008.

This is one of the bit fierce presidential campaigns though, the 2008 one.

You know what was funny about the Nixon Kennedy debate most people who watched the debates on TV thought Kennedy won and most of the people who heard it on the radio thought Nixon won.

I wonder how much appearance makes a difference? Also most people did not really know Roosevelt was as handicapped as he was like we know now I wonder how many people today would vote for somebody in a wheel chair?

Just a thought

[edit on 2-2-2009 by SLAYER69]

new topics

top topics

join