It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DANGER! ARCTIC MELTDOWN- NATO Chief calls for presence in Arctic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:06 PM
link   
NATO will need a military presence in the Arctic as global warming melts frozen sea routes and the major powers clamor in the rush to claim lucrative energy reserves, according to Secretary-General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer
The melting of the polar ice cap has opened new Arctic sea routes, once navigable by only the most powerful ice breakers This is threatening to destabilize delicate relations between the worlds superpowers- particularly as exploration for oil and natural gas reserves as well as other natural resources is now possible in this once inaccessible region of the globe.
The United States , Russia and Canada are among the countries that are claiming jurisdiction over the Arctic territory as well as the Nordic Nations. China is also likely to enter the battle to capture these energy reserves in the attempt to claim their own sovereignty over these vast resources according to official reports.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Weird. I wish these scientists would make up their mind. I wonder if the rest of the solar planets are also cooling off with the reduced solar flare activity.

my.auburnjournal.com...

Arctic Sees Massive Gain in Ice Coverage

Increase twice the size of Germany: "colder weather" to blame.

Michael Asher - September 3, 2008 2:44 PM dailytech.com

Data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) has indicated a dramatic increase in sea ice extent in the Arctic regions. The growth over the past year covers an area of 700,000 square kilometers: an amount twice the size the nation of Germany.

With the Arctic melting season over for 2008, ice cover will continue to increase until melting begins anew next spring.

The data is for August 2008 and indicates a total sea ice area of six million square kilometers. Ice extent for the same month in 2007 covered 5.3 million square kilometers, a historic low. Earlier this year, media accounts were rife with predictions that this year would again see a new record. Instead, the Arctic has seen a gain of about thirteen percent.

William Chapman, a researcher with the Arctic Climate Research Center at the University of Illinois, tells DailyTech that this year the Arctic was "definitely colder" than 2007. Chapman also says part of the reason for the large ice loss in 2007 was strong winds from Siberia, which affect both ice formation and drift, forcing ice into warmer waters where it melts.

Earlier predictions were also wrong because researchers thought thinner ice would melt faster in subsequent years. Instead, according to the NSIDC, the new ice had less snow coverage to insulate it from the bitterly cold air, resulting in a faster rate of ice growth.

Most concern has focused on the Arctic regions, rather than Antarctica. Recent research has indicated Antarctica is on a long-term cooling trend, for reasons which remain unclear.

Earlier this year, concerns over global warming led the US to officially list the polar bear a threatened species, over objections from experts who claimed the animal's numbers were increasing.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:40 PM
link   
OK,

We all saw the articles about there being "no ice" at the north pole in 2008 but it didn't happen.

I don't understand how the alarmist can keep up the fear with this when all the data (except their computer models) show that it isn't true.

newsbusters.org...

Good news! Despite the recent global warming alarmism in the media that Arctic ice might melt away completely from the North Pole this summer, the latest scientific observations show that Arctic ice has actually increased by nearly a half million square miles over this time last year. This is in stark contrast to the Chicken Little hysteria that was being promoted less than a month ago on the CBS Early Show as reported by Kyle Drennen on June 27

www.theregister.co.uk...

The problem is that this graph does not appear to be correct.* [See Editor's note, below] Other data sources show Arctic ice having made a nice recovery this summer. NASA Marshall Space Flight Center data shows 2008 ice nearly identical to 2002, 2005 and 2006. Maps of Arctic ice extent are readily available from several sources, including the University of Illinois, which keeps a daily archive for the last 30 years. A comparison of these maps (derived from NSIDC data) below shows that Arctic ice extent was 30 per cent greater on August 11, 2008 than it was on the August 12, 2007. (2008 is a leap year, so the dates are offset by one.)

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Hehehehehe.
Just a forum for denying access of the Russians to the arctic.
It's damn cold up there this time of year, and it is frozen as usual.
Serious people---the solar wind has decreased to points never before seen, and extra-solar particles from galactic sources has been in amounts never before seen by humanity are streaming down on us daily.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Hehehehehe.
Just a forum for denying access of the Russians to the arctic.
It's damn cold up there this time of year, and it is frozen as usual.
Serious people---the solar wind has decreased to points never before seen, and extra-solar particles from galactic sources has been in amounts never before seen by humanity are streaming down on us daily.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by strokker

Every news on ATS becomes kinda fear-mongering.

Like this one. Somebody in the media says that Arctic might be geopolitically important in the future. And on ATS it pretty much becomes "The Arctic will melt in two weeks and then all superpowers will be in a shooting war and nukes will be flying, so buy more Guns of Survival now!"

Who benefits from all this fear-mongering?

I think it is the gun retailers. They want to sell you 1000 different Guns of Survival. I have discovered the biggest ever conspiracy on ATS, the Survival Gun conspiracy. It involves NRA, gun manufacturers and retailers, Mossad (this just to give my conspiracy theory that classic touch of anti-semitism), and David Rockefeller, that intergalactic megademon of banking.

But you know what? I ain't buying my own conspiracy theory. I will just grab my Budweiser, my King James Bible, my two thousand different Survival Guns, head to the hills, and keep firing if the pinko UN commies come with their black helicopters! Just keep the beers coming! Yeehaw!

top topics

join