It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teleportation Is Real

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Teleportation Is Real – But Don't Try It at Home

Depending on your favorite sci-fi yarns, teleportation is either a very, very bad idea (see: The Fly) or a very, very cool one (see: Star Trek). For scientists, it's just very, very complex, so much so that at this point, teleportation is not a matter of moving matter but one of transporting information. Already, physicists have been able to exchange information between light particles — or photons — or between atoms, so long as they were right next to each other.

The current experiment marks the first in which information has traveled a significant distance — 1 m, or a little more than 3 ft. — between two isolated atoms. It's also the first time the powers of a photon, which is good at traveling over long distances, and an atom, which is prized for its ability to retain information, have been jointly exploited. (See the top 10 scientific discoveries of 2008.)

I cant wait for Phasers and my very own shuttle craft I wonder if this is fact following fiction or fiction predicting fact

[edit on 31-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Related story

How The Teleporter Came To Life

Though the technology appears to straddle the line between science and science fiction, the era of quantum teleportation has arrived. It's not the Star Trek--style beaming up of entire landing parties; the process operates at the subatomic level. What does that mean? Quantum teleportation, in short, is the transmission of characteristics--that is, the quantum state of a particular photon, or particle of light--from one place to another. While it falls short of a capability to beam people or objects to remote locations, it's much more than just sending a fax.

The original is destroyed, but every one of its distinguishing features is re-created elsewhere. Researchers believe quantum teleportation will someday translate into many breakthrough applications ranging from uncrackable encryption methods to quantum computers that will run billions of times faster than today's fastest machines.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Similar experiments took place in 2004, maybe in 100 years they can teleport a frog, interesting stuff, technichally I'd consider it time-travel, as space and time are inseparable, wouldn't expect star trek transporters for thousands of years though...

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Razimus

I know but I thought it might stir some discussion around ATS I may be wrong

PEACE
SLAY

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

The original is destroyed, but every one of its distinguishing features is re-created elsewhere.

No thanks! See ya on the shuttle craft!!!

*elbows Bones for an armrest*

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Sadly that is not the first, the first was about 3 years ago, a team of scientist in russia. *i think* Wired Magazine had a article about it, They had success but had problems with things being exactly as they were when it reached the other side... 3 feet away. But none the less they had success.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
CNN had a few postings on this topic a couple of weeks ago.
CNN Teleportation Link

Here's just one of them. I think the problem they're facing is they can theoretically teleport the information, but they would have to have a blob of human molecules to reassemble on the other side.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   
yes it's real read it here now

posted on Feb, 4 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I may be wrong, but wasn't quantum teleportation the use of quantum entanglement to achieve teleportation? I have a paper from LANL from a while ago that discusses this, as well as flat worm hole and vortex wormholes also. Explains the differences, the good, the bad and the possible. This paper is about 1980 so it's been around alot longer than people think.

I say this as they wouldn't destroy the original information, or should I say, they couldn't destroy the original, merely 'pull it through'.

I don't know how to host but if I remember rightly, I got the paper from Pegasus Research Consortium over on the living moon website.

(sory if this is classed as advertising, wasn't sure).

EMM

new topics

top topics

join