It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Hicks on Letterman, Finally

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Bill Hicks on Letterman, Finally

blogs.courant.com

A 1993 standup performance by Bill Hicks on David Letterman that was cut from the telecast 15 years ago finally saw light of day on an unusual episode of "Late Show with David Letterman" on Friday.

Suddenly awash with guilt for cutting the performance in its entirety, months before the edgy comic died of pancreatic cancer, Letterman not only showed the entire performance, he also invited the comic's mother, Mary Hicks, on the show so he could say how sorry he was for the whole thing.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
lateshow.cbs.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Love All The People - Bill Hicks
Rare Bill Hicks show (mp3, funny)

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I am a huge fan of Hick's work... and it had always intrigued me, let alone pissed me off that Letterman cut his stand-up routine from the show. Strange to see after all of this time since Hicks passed that Dave has had a change of heart. Makes me wonder what he was thinking then and what had influenced his thinking now, possibly having a son of his own now... in the final season of his life reviewing his regrets... no longer afraid of the CBS brass and advertisers?

Part 1: David's apology

Part 2: Hick's mother

Part 3: Hick's stand-up on Oct, 1 1993

Hicks discusses the Letterman Show censorship:

blogs.courant.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 31-1-2009 by The All Seeing I]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by The All Seeing I

Pretty funny set, I like the gay joke, the fact that the audience started agreeing with him without knowing he was making fun of homophobes was pretty funny, I can see why letterman chose to censor it maybe it was the first jokes, they were kinda harsh, letterman knew those celebs and coulda done it for them, but I think the censorship was probably the best thing that ever happened to Bill Hicks, otherwise nobody would be watching those videos on youtube and I sure as heck wouldn't have ever remembered him.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
'erm, and the Hot Licks?

Bill Hicks is nothing without recognition of the backup as well.........sorry, but I grew up listening to the stuff!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus
I can see why letterman chose to censor it maybe it was the first jokes, they were kinda harsh

Not sure if you've seen the last video but according to Hicks, Letterman and the producers pre-approved his material, so they knew what he was going to say.

but I think the censorship was probably the best thing that ever happened to Bill Hicks, otherwise nobody would be watching those videos on youtube and I sure as heck wouldn't have ever remembered him.

You are completely wrong.

People would be watching, and I'm guessing they will be watching and listening to him for a long long time, not because he was 'harsh' but because he spoke the truth and made people think.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Thanks for posting this.

Brilliant comedy. I've never heard of the guy...but this routine was very good.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Bill Hicks certainly was ahead of his time, not just in the comedy but he had the framework up of an elitist family corporate control structure theory, which I believe adequately portraits society's workings. He was one smart cat.

People like him are missed. As are the two mommas.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:39 PM
link   

That guy wasn't funny at all. I watched the whole thing, including Dave's discussion with the Mother before and after he showed the clip and it all left me wondering just what the heck prompted Dave to do all that!

If the guy had been funny at all, or really funny even, I could of understood, but he didn't make me laugh at all so the only thing that made any sense to me was why Dave originally cut the guy's routine.

All in all, the whole thing was weird and not at all entertaining. Dave must have been paying a debt is all I can figure.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
ok anonymous... it's a subjective call but i think there is room here for some objectivity... tell me, what comedians do you find thought-provokingly funny?

In my book Hicks is right up there with two of the greats at this dark fearless satirical brand of humor... George Carlin & Lenny Bruce.

As for this particular sketch he did for Letterman, i'd rate it as one of his best.

Matter of fact now that i think of it, Hick's bit on Jesus's reaction to crosses worn as necklaces reminds me a lot of Bruce's...

If Jesus had been killed twenty years ago, Catholic school children would be wearing little electric chairs around their necks instead of crosses.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:50 PM
link   

OK All Seeing, I registered here so I wouldn't have to wait twelve hours to make another anonymous post.
I am Drea2up, and it is I who said I didn't find Hicks routine funny at all.
I have hurt myself laughing at George Carlin AND Lenny Bruce, and Letterman is my favorite Mon -Fri Comic.
All I can say is my funny bone just was not tickled at all by the late Mr. Hicks. I have been accused of being too easily amused so perhaps Mr. Hicks sense of humor is merely too sophistocated for me.
XOxo~Drea

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Good to see you have made the plunge Drea2up, welcome to our little treehouse/hideout.

If you like two then why not all three... many parallels between them all... actually Hick's bit on the pro-lifers reminds me a lot of Carlin's in his HBO Back in Town Special at Beacon Theater, NYC.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Thank you for the warm welcome All Seeing!
I have visited here many times, after hearing about this place on Coast To Coast AM. I've never been compelled to post anything until today however.

I really can't explain why I didn't like Hicks bit. It's a guttural thing you know, either something makes you laugh or it doesn't. Kind of beyond my control really, I either feel it or I don't.

Carlin was a comic genius there's no denying that, and his delivery was flawless. Mr. Hicks delivery was (pardon the expression) lifeless, in my opinion and I found no similarities between his and George's.
I can see I am in the minority there, so all I can say is "to each his own."

XOxo~Drea

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Correction; an official-clandestine-belated-welcome to you.

On Hicks not being your cup of tea... maybe it's an issue with his delivery/style?

As for the Hick's pro-lifer bit being the sole reason letterman cut the routine, i'm thinking it could have just as well been the kill a celebrity tvshow or jesus's reaction to crucifix necklaces... he probably didn't want to be found guilty by association... and probably had visions of his ratings taking a nose dive through the floor. It is a business after all, the bulk of which is supported by an audience full of celebrity and god worshipers. Now that he has achieved everything one could dream possible in such a position... taking such "risks" no longer exist.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Much of bill hicks routine was content that would upset the powers that be.

For example, he made the following arguments, through comedy:

- War is idiotic. The money it costs could pay to solve practically all the world's problems.

- Drugs are part of human nature, and cannot be regulated by the state.

- Governments lie. Period.

- Our economy is based on killing, war, exploitation, and death.

- Kennedy was not killed by Oswald.

Saying any one of these things and having people listen is bad enough, but he often said all five.

Some of Hicks stand-up moments are featured in the video "Zeitgeist" and "Zeitgeist Addendum." If you haven't seen them yet, you can find them on google video. Two of the most downloaded, most-watched and most controversial films ever disseminated.

And Bill Hicks? The man was spot-on.

Here's a Video that shows the real man:

[edit on 31-1-2009 by username371]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Bill Hicks is not for everyone, but I love his stuff.

I was really happy to see this aired, after all these years.

It wouldn't have made a difference to Bill's career if it had aired as scheduled - he was dead shortly afterwards, but it provides some satisfaction to his fans, I guess.

I've always found him to be one of the most thought-provoking comedians to take the stage. Maybe it's just because I agree with everything he says.

I wish more people would take the plunge and listen to some of his material. It's not for everyone - some of his stuff is extremely graphic and angry, but there's no shortage of insight in his work. A typical Hicks set might go something like: Sex, Violence, Sex, Sex, political commentary, Sex, Sex, philosophical insight, Violence, Sex, Violence - take a bow.

It's not like you can write him off as just another shock comic though, because he covers topics few others would dare to approach.

R.I.P. Bill Hicks. You're sorely missed.

(I can't imagine what he'd have to say about current events. It's almost a good thing he died when he did, because the nose-dive this country has taken since would surely have made his head explode out of anger and frustration.)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:23 AM
link   
excellent critiques...

I'd also like to add, that if Hicks was with us today, i could see him loving this place, even doing an interview with rabbit and johnny. He's the conspiracy theorist's comic, i could just imagine his take on 9/11, Iraq, Voting Machines, Katrina.

He most certainly would have been a headliner... he's the kind of comic that is hard for the media to ignore... especially when you consider all the material he would have had during the bush years. Though i wonder if the headline would be a tragic one that left us all pondering, much like we do over JFK/RFK/MLK, over which adversaries cut his life short.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

I remember wanting to see that particular Letterman routine, but never could, and wondered why it wasn't aired.

A moment of silence for brother Bill. I always enjoyed his stuff.

I'm a little surprised that Paul hadn't heard of Eric Johnson....shame.

Peace

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I have a sneaking suspicion as to why this is being done. Russell Crowe is set to or is currently working on a movie about Bill Hick's life, Crowe as Hicks. Looks like nothing more than marketing by the Hollywood powerhouses.

Knowing Crowe, his portrayal is going to be spot-on. Hicks along with Carlin and a few others were comedic patriots.

Link

Peace

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Dr Love]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I'm glad, but also sad.

I'd take two hours of his standup over any "comedy" from the past few years any day.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hicks was fantastic and missed by many. I for one cannot stand Letterman. His boring approach and highly over-rated show outline how easily some can be amused and so called entertained. I agree with the marketing angle taken by another poster. Typical cheap antics and hollow sincerity guided by letterman.

brill

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join