It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sometimes don't you wish IT DID happen...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Hello all,

This may come accross as a strange thing to say and first off I'll admit that I don't want to see anyone struggle or hurt.

With all the preparations we make, with all the knowledge we learn and with all the time we spend perfecting our survival plans, BOB's, caches etc

Sometimes do you not wish we could have a chance to put into practice what we have learnt ?

Like I said, I don't want SitX more than the next guy but think about the sense of achievement we would get from knowing and doing what we have learnt ?

I think survivalists not only have a desire to survive but also a desire to test themselves, I think thats why we are interested in survival in the first place.

Maybe some people who have served in the forces could comment ?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
If you desire to test yourself, then move to a third world country, or someplace like Thailand, and live in the forest for a year. It doesn't require that things go to # for your to test your survival skills.

Go play survivor the real game.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

Mate i think i know what you mean on that one. I think a lot of people on here would secretly wish sit x to happen for various reasons.
I get frustrated with the way the world is & wish we could all get along but its not going to get better until after it gets worse if you know what i mean and i want it to get better so much i kind of look forward to it getting bad so man can move on.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

No I just like having all the cool gear.
Ok seriously, I really hope I never have to deal with a major bug out in my life.
Ok I have spent some good money on equipment but to be honest, I really never want to use it in anger.
I always test my new skills where I can and constantly monitor and asses my equipment just to remain prepared.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I am one of those that hopes it happens.
I think it would be a great thing.We live in a world of consumers...lets quit consuming and start conserving.
It would be a great lesson to mankind in my eyes.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I know what you mean. All the, not knowing can drive one insane. At least you would know where you stand, be it totally F***ed or workable. While I also don't want to see the world go to hell in a hand basket, I have hope.

This is life. just when we think we have ourselves fixed up pretty well, along comes an asteroid and guess what then.

CX

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I don't wish Sit X would happen, despite being ex-forces i think i'm a peace loving hippy deep down.

If the desire to test your skills is that great, there are a million ways to test them without having to resort to the chaos that will be all around if a Sit X occured.

I am in the UK, and i have known people to spend all their waking hours talking about survival and bugging out. Yet when they've put themselves out in the UK woods for just a night in the colder seasons, they've found themselves walking back home due to the discomfort!

Want the ultimate test? I'd try bugging out and dissapearing from the map for a couple of months, see how you get on. No contact with urban areas, nothing. That would be a start.

I reckon many people would come back looking like hell on earth and many pound lighter.

You could go as extreme as you wanted with the "test yourself" need i guess. Out for a long period with just a knife, that sort of thing. Just don't sacrifice safety when you are just rehearsing. Not worth it.

By that i mean things like, don't go running out into the cold woods wearing very little, thinking you can dress yourself from head to toe in warm natural handmade gear, if you've never done it before.

Practice water procurement before you put yourself in a test where you are really going to depend on it. That kind of thing.

CX.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
The only reason I don't want it to happen is for fear of my loved ones.

I am pretty sure I could kill someone and not really care too much about it, if I had to. But if I failed to protect my girlfriend, or my friends, I wouldn't be the same after. I'd be destroyed if they somehow died and probably take it as being my fault.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

I agree that the consumer world we have at the moment cannot go on.
I would like to see things change but not in one go where many people may lose there lives.

With the current financial crises going on at least alot of people are starting to adjust there lives and look to conserve themselves.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
If you desire to test yourself, then move to a third world country, or someplace like Thailand, and live in the forest for a year. It doesn't require that things go to # for your to test your survival skills.

Go play survivor the real game.

In all fairness I see what your saying but I don't think its possible to replicate the situations, decisions and confrontations we would actually face in SitX.

Catching rabbit in forrest is one thing, catching rabbit in forest with 30+ soldiers with dogs chasing you because of martial law etc, etc is different!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
I perosnally am as prepared as possible. That being said I would hope that it doesn't happen for the empathy and compassion I have for human life. On the other hand, humans are unworthy. This world has become a cesspool of self righteous, corrupt, manipulative evil scum and even your everyday citizens don't know there own spot in the pecking order.

Everyone thinks the'yre bad ass and even women have attitudes as if they are gonna kick your teeth in. Sometimes people put themselves in situations because they are too comfortable and believe someone is gonna save them such as police and governments. Fact is by the time they come to your aid, all they do is put you in a body bag.

Society has made us (at least the majority of us) a bunch of pathectic,dependent, pansy losers. They have domesticated us and taken away the natural instinct that took nature centuries to instill within us.

It needs to happen plain and simple. man is spoiled and is destroying this planet with too much useless *snip*. The only way is to start over and restructure. We're on the verge of destroying humanity with our greed and technology which helps us aquire it. With all the knowledge we have, everyone of us should be living in harmony without the everyday struggles created by selfish greed.

I say..... "BRING the PAIN."

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I don't ever want to see a major ordeal go down, But I wouldn't mind a decent sized riot or something of the likes just to be able to go into code red for a little while, You know, something to remind me to stay sharp.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevealationThis world has become a cesspool of self righteous, corrupt, manipulative evil scum and even your everyday citizens don't know there own spot in the pecking order.
Society has made us (at least the majority of us) a bunch of pathectic,dependent, pansy losers. They have domesticated us and taken away the natural instinct that took nature centuries to instill within us.

That may be the majority. You left out the scumbags, and the liars. The idiots I guess would fall into the pathetic category.

I would love the world to get Malthusian their ass. I can't think of anyone less deserving of the term human.

The reality is that the pathetic are the slaves and the scumbags are the masters. It's almost symbiotic. I'm a slave until TSHTF, then I'll become either the Greyman; the Preacherman; or the Walkingdude.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:32 AM
link   
You know, I have been registered on ATS for a few months now, and I have seen what a lot of people say they will and wont do in a situation like that. Truth is, the majority of the people wouldnt know what to do, not all, just the majority.

Well, how do you know if someone is part of the majority? The majority are those people people who ask "what are you talking about? killer storms? NWO?BILDERBERG? RUSSIA IS GUNNA DO WHAT??" Thats the majority.

The majority are the people who are so busy with their own lives, that they do not take time out of their busy day to stop, and realize what is going on around them, they are the sheep, the drones if you will.
They go day by day repeating the next, because thats what they have always been doing their whole lives.

There are those out there,however; that noticed that they were part of that group and changed their way of thinking (I notice this a lot on in the past year or so) even here on ATS. They are starting to realize, that life isnt what they have been taught it to be, that things dont work the way they do just because, its all part of the fixed chain of human emotion.
Kind of like dominoes, once you knock the first one over, the rest are bound to follow, eventhough sometimes you get that domino that just doesnt want to fall down.

To be prepared for something to happen is ok and all, but you can never really be prepared for the worst, cause you dont know what the worst is(esp if you have nothing to judge it against in your own experience).

Do I wish IT DID happen? Part of me does, and part of me doesnt. Reason being is because if IT DID happen, than that would force a lot of people out there to open their eyes, and actually see how the wheels are turning instead of just knowing that the wheels are turning, but not sure how they are doing so. It might even bring people together in a bond that we have never seen before in our lifetimes(if it ended well).

Reason I dont want it to happen, easy, I dont think blood should have to be spilled in order to get the greater message out there, I think there are other ways to get the message out there that we are not utilizing, simply because we are stopping ourselves as human beings from doing so. We know that if we(the people) sit back and do nothing, that of course someone is going to take the steering wheel, but the ride wont be so great and we might even crash(its a chance they are willing to take). A lot of people would rather have someone else fix the problem rather than put their hand out there to help. But this is where the domino effect comes in.

In the End..I just hope we get past the insanity of it all and learn how to work with each other in more productive ways.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I wouldn't mind having a good ol' sit x happen just to see what... happens.
The world is boring, occasional bombing there, some more rebel what-not in another third-world country, USA is responsible for this and so on. The only things interesting on the daily news are the occasional plane crash or some psychopath who murdered 20 people somewhere.

Besides we need something to set us all right again. Bring on Yellowstone i say, that'll make the news at 7 interesting.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by funny_pom
Besides we need something to set us all right again. Bring on Yellowstone i say, that'll make the news at 7 interesting.

Careful what you wish for...

No second line due to Yellowstone being TEOTWAWKI.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Unfortunetly written text doesnt convey sarcasm all to well.

My point was, we are too soft, its time to toughen up and if that means having to endure a volcanic ice age then so be it. Survival of the fittest, netural selection; such things need to have an effect again.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Hi Death_Kron,

From one standpoint yes, I do wish SitX would occure.
I’m sick to death of the *waiting*.

As much as I hate being manipulated by MSM and/or Doomsday Theories, I do admit to having the *on the edge of my seat* feeling for too long now.
Like... If it’s going to happen - let’s get to it!

Also, the few times I’ve been involved in smaller catastrophes I’ve really truly enjoyed the camaraderie.
The people helping people.
Learning what situations make heroes and villains out of others and myself.

Then I remember what it’s like to experience pain, suffering, want, and I take a step back and thank our collective lucky stars we’re mostly all pretty safe and secure at the moment in the Western World.

Only to flip flop back again to *Let’s tear it all down and build it back up right this time* mentality.

It doesn’t help feeling like if we don’t do something about *it* now, we never will either.
But that’s for another post.

peace

[edit on 1-2-2009 by silo13]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron
Hello all,

This may come accross as a strange thing to say and first off I'll admit that I don't want to see anyone struggle or hurt.

With all the preparations we make, with all the knowledge we learn and with all the time we spend perfecting our survival plans, BOB's, caches etc

Sometimes do you not wish we could have a chance to put into practice what we have learnt ?

Like I said, I don't want SitX more than the next guy but think about the sense of achievement we would get from knowing and doing what we have learnt ?

I think survivalists not only have a desire to survive but also a desire to test themselves, I think thats why we are interested in survival in the first place.

Maybe some people who have served in the forces could comment ?

There was a fabulous debate a while back on another forum about the various triggers that cause people to become survivalists, apart from the self preservation aspect one other factor often arose, and that was just how unrewarding and unchallenging modern life has become to for many people. When this sense of dissatisfaction was coupled to our nations often becoming quite over crowded and the erosion of many of our indiginous cultures, a strong desire to see a mass culling to improve our lives was high on the list of survivalist wants. Basically its the lemming mentality coming through, our numbers are reaching record heights and every day we find less and less space available for us just to be ourselves, so many survivalists sub consciously wish for a Sit X to get the worlds population down to sensible levels.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
I can totally sympathise with a lot of the views here. The world is grossly over-populated. In the Western world, when you see how many parasites there are who contribute nothing to society you realise that this situation is unsustainable.

As populations rise and resources become more scarce, something will inevitably happen to correct this. Whether it is a force of nature, or something more human is impossible to tell. We can only prepare.

In the longer term, the human race, as all species, requires some external stimulus if we are to evolve. The pressure of surviving your environment is what shapes future generations. Without this pressure we will tend to degenerate instead of evolve.

New Scientist ran an article on how human invention has been blunting the course of natural selection in human evolution. I can't find the link but if and when I do I will add it.

I'm not praying night and day for a planet-wide Sit X, however I certainly wouldn't feel any remorse if some event occurred that caused some severe culling of the world's population but was survivable for those who were fit and prepared enough to continue the human race.

In the long run it would be to the benefit of the planet, and mankind. A large scale forest fire, if you will. There will always be new growth that comes back stronger.

new topics

top topics

join