It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ron Paul: Use both Treasuries and Gold to back the dollar/End the Fed

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Ron Paul going into a bit of detail on how we could go to a Gold Standard. He even talks about having dollars backed by both gold AND treasuries because of a switch being so difficult.

Interesting on what he says, no matter if you agree with him or not.

This second video is a long one, 25 minutes.

Presented by Ron Paul at "Our Enemy, Inflation," the Mises Circle in Houston, sponsored by Jeremy S. Davis. Recorded Saturday, 24 January 2009.

I'm in the middle of watching it now. Will comment after watching.

End the Fed

[edit on 31-1-2009 by David9176]

[edit on 31-1-2009 by David9176]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   
...I was all geared up to flame this thread...even though I love Ron Paul...but there is (was now thanks to this thread) but I thought there is no way we could realisticly go back to the gold standard....damn Ron is a smart dude.

I love Obama but if he doesn't find a way to include Ron Paul or his ideas then I will be dissapointed....and if he allows Wall Street to keep their bonuses that our tax dollars went to pay....I'm going to be pissed too
(ooops off topic)

I honestly believe now that we could in fact...should in fact....try and get back to money being backed by something other than faith.

great thread, thanks.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
In my opinion, the dollar can't be saved. The only option I see is to change currency. This is exactly what happened to Peru years ago. The government started printing a lot of money and everything started to cost more. The next president changed the currency. Everyone had to changed 1,000 of the old money for 1 of the new one. My grandfather lost a lot of money. Actually everyone lost a lot of money.

I see the same thing happening to the US.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by danielsil18]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Allow competing currencies. Makes sense to me. In a free society why not allow a little competition eh?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

...I was all geared up to flame this thread...even though I love Ron Paul...but there is (was now thanks to this thread) but I thought there is no way we could realisticly go back to the gold standard....damn Ron is a smart dude.

I know. I didn't think it was realistic to go back to the old gold standard either, but i think we can do something new.

The second video is amazing. I don't know if you've watched it yet but it's loaded full of information.

And i do agree...he is a very smart man. I'm glad there is someone out there trying to get the country going in a new direction.

Much of what he says is disturbing. The fiat system is going to fail. Something new has to come, possibly a world central bank. One worldwide currency.

Amazing stuff people...give it a watch. I"ll have to watch it again..lots there.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

Competition is what got us into this whole mess in the first place. They need to tear the economic system down, piece by piece and re-invent it. Although i have no idea of how that would be possible on a world scale, switching back to gold, or even the greenback is the only plausible solution i see for the US.

Unless the powers that be are attempting to crash it themselves, delving us into a decade of extremely poor living conditions, in order to further the idea of an NWO.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Hey I will star and flag this thread because Ron Paul keeps going. He has faith, or he would have given up right?

Well I could guess that he or someone close enough to him had been watching ATS so they could completely and bluntly combat those who said he was "not offering any solution at all, only complaining about the problems."

This is direct proof otherwise.

I feel we are screwed no matter what anyway, but hearing Ron Paul makes me happy and gives me a little hope.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Ron Paul
+
Dennis Kucinich
+
Peter Schiff

= we would get all this crap ironed out in a hurry. Not to mention, we could finally "clean house", if ya know what I mean.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
reply to post by tjeffersonsghost

Competition is what got us into this whole mess in the first place. They need to tear the economic system down, piece by piece and re-invent it. Although i have no idea of how that would be possible on a world scale, switching back to gold, or even the greenback is the only plausible solution i see for the US.

Unless the powers that be are attempting to crash it themselves, delving us into a decade of extremely poor living conditions, in order to further the idea of an NWO.

What competition got us into this mess?

[edit on 31-1-2009 by tjeffersonsghost]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Cures for Our Economic Disease

by Ron Paul
I have recently had several opportunities on various news programs to discuss the economy and what is wrong with the so-called economic stimulus package. I have said over and over what we shouldn’t be doing, and now I’d like to explain what we should be doing.

But to improve the situation, you must first have a solid grasp of how we got here. Government policies and central planning created the housing bubble, now going bust. About a decade ago the government made expanded homeownership and affordable housing a public goal. Through Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and the secondary mortgage market the government incentivized creative, low down-payment, more widely available mortgage products, and discouraged the market-proven lending standards of the past. The Federal Reserve kept interest rates artificially low, which added more fuel to this fire. Many related sectors temporarily flourished because of this, and many people got into homes they otherwise could not have afforded. The increased demand for housing sent prices soaring until in many markets housing became even more unaffordable, necessitating even more creative mortgages, and impossibly leveraging homeowners. Many risky investment vehicles such as mortgage-backed securities, derivatives, credit default swaps grew out of this unsustainable situation. As the foreclosures began, the house of cards started to tumble. Too many people have confused the symptoms and the pain of the bust with the problematic policies that caused the bubble, which is really what needs to be treated.
First of all, just as the best cure for a hangover is not to drink so much, the best cure for a recession is a recession. It is time to sober up and return to free market sanity, risk and reward, supply and demand, without political intervention. Politicians are good at catering to the needs of special interests, but very bad at determining what needs to take place in the market. Government should stick to punishing fraud and enforcing contracts. When they use the tax code, bureaucratic departments and their manipulative rules and regulations to dictate social and economic behavior, we end up with distortions and malinvestments. Bailing out banks, continuing failed Fed policies and strapping the taxpayer with toxic debt will worsen the pain, and punish the innocent.
If Congress really wanted to do something helpful, it would cut taxes. Ideally, we would repeal the income tax altogether and get the IRS off the economy’s back, which would be a huge boon. We should also cut spending. Cut every unconstitutional department and program, every wasteful governmental encroachment on the people’s liberty and money, starting with our massive overseas empire. The cost of our empire is bringing us to our knees, just as the Soviets’ empire did to them. Congress should also abolish the Federal Reserve and take back its responsibilities to ensure sound money, safe from the manipulations of powerful banking interests.
These things would constitute real change, real economic stimulus. The plans being bandied about Washington are just more of the same. As long as no one seriously considers the cure, we are unfortunately destined to prolong the disease.

www.ronpaul.com...

More goodness from Ron Paul.
He's one intelligent man.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I am very glad to have watched the second video. I am going to keep the faith that good might triumph over evil.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Funny how Ron Paul can offer more serious real world solutions to fix our wretched economy in one 25 minute video than Barack Obama, John Mccain, George W. Bush, Ben Bernanke, Paulson, Pelosi, and the rest of the goon squad have managed to put forth in the last TWO YEARS of campaign promises and banker bailouts.

How can it be that one man can know and offer so much and yet be systematically be ignored by the very elected imbeciles who are claiming to be "searching" for a solution to our failing economy?

The reason they offer no real solution for fixing our economy is because they have no interest in fixing it. Plain as day.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by BlackOps719

To me they seem hellbent on collapsing the whole damn economy. I'd love to force every member of congress to watch this video...but i'd probably have to pay them.

new topics

top topics

join