It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something that's been bothering me

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
A thought has been bothering me for some time.You have all heard that reality is an illusion,the holographic theory,etc.Suppose an artist creates an abstract painting and no one sees it except for a very close friend of his.He calls his friend to see his opinion about it.Keep in mind that the friend is told that is going to see something but he doesn't know what so his imagination runs wild before he sees it.Now my problem is what keeps the painting on the canvas?
What keeps the friend from forming his own reality and see something totally different than what the artist designed?If reality is truly an illusion created by our consciousness what stops us from creating a different reality created by our expectation through imagination?Some might say that the unified consciousness of other people shape the reality as a whole, each mind being a part of the whole.But the artist is the only one that created the painting through his imagination, the only one that has seen it.Could it be that he somehow shaped the expectation of the friend,in effect creating the reality for him?If that is true then we are more powerful beyond our imagination OR the friend created the entire reality himself(the artist,the painting,etc.) which leads to Solipsism.If you think about it how do you truly know what is behind you right now?It can be anything and you don't know what it is until you take a look.Take a look at Schrodinger's Cat to better understand what I am talking about.Well I've told you what I had to say now it is time for your opinions.
Flamers are not welcome.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Well if Im following your line of thought I am going to assume you mean that for everything we imagine, it comes to exist in another reality?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I mean that how does the friend sees what he sees?WHAT keeps the colour on the canvas for him to see the representation of a thought created by the artist?Is it the artist that creates and keeps the reality as it is or the artist and the painting are all in the mind of the friend?A figment of his imagination...

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
What if at some point in *time* every perception has been imagined in every way.

Would we then implode?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I found this link by Robert Anton Wilson
www.rawilson.com...

On this thread

www.abovetopsecret.com...

About Orgone Energy.

I find the links to complement your line of thinking.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Interesting info you provided.
Thanks

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I say the viewer does manifest his/her own vision of the reality.

Take the Rorschach Ink Blot Test, for example.

Just as poetry can be realized differently by individuals.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
When I was eight years old, I had a terrible sickness in my lungs and I almost died. My parents were divorced and they had arguments all the time, even while I was in intensive care. Your questions remind me of one particular situation during this time.

I was still in the intensive care unit, I had been up all night and had just finally, barely gotten to sleep. My father had come to visit me, but he came while I was sleeping and I started to wake up a little bit because I could hear my parents arguing. My mother shook me awake and held a sweater in front of my face. She asked, "What color is this sweater?"

It was a pale blue sweater, almost aqua. I told her it was blue. She got mad at me, she said the sweater was green and had been arguing with my father over the issue of the sweater's color.

Personally, I think we shape our own reality to a point. I think our minds are definitely more powerful than we are taught. I also think that we are taught to believe that our minds don't have potential in these areas to keep us almost in a dream-like state of reality. We just accept reality as we see it.

Well some of us anyway.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Reply to Tastethemajic

I feel alot of energy off of your memory of the event as you lie almost dying and someone is arguing over the color of a sweater.

I was trying to explain the idea of the E-Prime and getting rid of the word IS after reading the link I provided earlier on this thread and I used the example of someone calling the grass green but to a color blind person the grass may be brown, she responds with "that is why it is important to tell the colorblind person that it is green..............."

Sometimes it just isn't worth trying to explain different concepts and ideas.

Anyway.................Glad you made it through being that sick at such a young age, I sure the experience has given you some insight many don't have.

[edit on 31-1-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
That's an interesting sentiment. Although, getting rid of the word "is" would also require that we get rid of any word that means "to be". It's an intriguing way of thinking. There are so many things that we would have to rethink in the way we say them.

It seems that a lot of the time we can only describe things as how they "are". I wonder how communication would change in relation to that.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Everything is subjective to a point. Then there is a level of objectivity which is not in our conscious control (though maybe unconscious, im thinking collective unconscious).

I can look at my hand and make it a fruit. I can rewire my brain instantly to think that is what a fruit looks like. I'm going to bite into it and it's going to be sweet and juicy. But low and behold, I bite into my hand and it gushes blood and it hurts very badly.

We don't create our realities, we perceive our realities and create our experiences from the information.

new topics

top topics

join