It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is It Better To Be Ignorant

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Is a life of ignorance really bliss, would it bne better not to have our heads filled with all the evils of the World. Would it be better not to know what we are facing and just go blithely along without a care in the Wolrd.

If we were detached from every day reality would we feel better for it, would we be saner, happyier and have a more positve outlook on life. I must admit that sometimes ignornace does seem like bliss. That I may feel better not having my head full of the evil that man does to his fellow man. That the problems of the World are not of my making or doing that I am merely just 1 carbon unit livinmg out his life.

Is life on Earth a punishment, is that what it is, that we are trully sentient beings but we are given a physical form to endure pain and suffering here on Planet Earth for our missdeads elsewhere.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
That is right, there are too many people who know what is going on.

From gas ripoffs and light bulb laws.

If they knew so much about what was bad they should be doing
something about it so we don't hear the reports.

So we can hear light bulb and ethanol lobby arrested.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Your idea only makes sense if you can stomach the illusion that has been forth before us, masquerating as the truth.

I can't do it, i'd rather know and be miserable then not know and be happy.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Why would ignorance EVER be better than knowledge. Even that question is ignorant.

Please.. if we encourage ignorance any more, there is no doubt that we will have lost all hope. Look around you man! Look at what ignorance is doing to the world...

the people are killing each other

they are killing themselves

they are killing the only home we have!

oppression is nobody's fault except for the individuals who choose to stay in ignorance...

Everyone has gone insane.

Seek knowledge and quit asking foolish questions like this! To keep others in ignorance is to oppress them!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
Your idea only makes sense if you can stomach the illusion that has been forth before us, masquerating as the truth.

I can't do it, i'd rather know and be miserable then not know and be happy.

What do you know? If you are in fear than you are living in ignorance still..

If you cannot be at peace and content, then you have no knowledge of value.

there is nothing to fear but fear itself.. that is ignorant. step into the light and out of the dark please... the world deserves as much from you all.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I am a huge hater of ignorance.
but yes....ignorance most certainly has more potential for bliss than
the alternative.

For example; how many of you have thought that it would be cool as hell to drop off of the grid? Live in a cabin 200 miles from the nearest town.
...live on a secluded island with just your closest friends and family....never hear another news story as long as you live....never hear from the outside world again.

If you thought that might be cool, then you have thought that ignorance must be bliss.

BUT....HOWEVER....THIS IS HUGE..........................

If you are going to interact with the world then you MUST forgo ignorance!
You can not have it both ways! Ignorance is worse than Aids when brought into the world community.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Res Ipsa

I will agree with two things of yours. I think it would be ideal to be off the grid; but that is mostly due to the ignorance that the world is dominated by.

I think the more people who would face what it is they are scared of in order to gain knowledge and wisdom... there is much hope for us.

Hiding away ended up not being an option for me because I realized that the only ones who can change this situation, is us. I fear nothing on this earth and I am determined to spread as much knowledge and kindness to those I come in contact with on a daily basis! If someone doesn't start, no one will, right?

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Res Ipsa
If you are going to interact with the world then you MUST forgo ignorance!
You can not have it both ways! Ignorance is worse than Aids when brought into the world community.

OH.. and this is the other thing I completely agree with. Wise words my friend!!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by justamomma

I know that i cannot be content with the state of humanity at the moment, let alone proud of our species. As far as i'm concerned we've been de-evolving lately becoming more and more the animals we really are.

I refuse to buy into this illusion of freedom and god given properity we as a people have embraced.

That being said, i am not miserable, i am quite content with my personall affairs in life, the over all is what i have a problem with.

I also do not fear much of anything, not after the life i've had. But as i said, i'm not gonna live my life with a pretty veil pulled over my face for the sake of my happiness.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Just, I know all that and more besides I m just getting to the point where I don't think my brain can take much more of it. What is better, having a head full of Nazis atrocities or counting sheep.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
No, in my opinion being ignorant of world affairs is not bliss.

Those people that seem to know very little outside their small circle of family and friends and are short a few brain cells don't seem as happy as those that are well informed.

In fact, they seem to have more than their share of drama and problems.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
No, in my opinion being ignorant of world affairs is not bliss.

Those people that seem to know very little outside their small circle of family and friends and are short a few brain cells don't seem as happy as those that are well informed.

In fact, they seem to have more than their share of drama and problems.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I still think isolated ignorance is bliss
but I too am going to make the best of it by doing what I can to make our Country and world a little better.
With knowledge comes responsibility......stupid knowledge!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Res, I think I agre , right now all I wont to do is retire to rural France and live a simple life away from the madness and mayhem that we call natural life. Today I watched the Diary of Anne Frank and every time it makes me weep, not because of their faith but because of mans inhumanity to his fellow man. There is no bottom to the depths of which we can sink, no depravity too great that we cannot engage in. For all our technology we are nothing better than the savages that lived in caves.

The only difference between then and now is the propensity for greater death and destruction.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower
But as i said, i'm not gonna live my life with a pretty veil pulled over my face for the sake of my happiness.

Well, to do such (the pretty veil) is to also live in ignorance. There is a way to have hope and yet have no expectations (in fact, I think in order to have real hope and maintain, it.. you HAVE to have no expectations). That is to know that *you* are only responsible for what is right in front of you to do and always offer at least a smile to those who cross your path.. and if they kick ya in the shin (figuratively), keep on moving!

I see it all for what it is and man, I get extremely p'd at the type of ignorance that blatantly defies common sense and common courtesy; but ultimately, I remember I am only responsible for my state of mind and not theirs. I offer what I can and if it is not accepted, then I keep moving. It is that simple.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Res, I think I agre , right now all I wont to do is retire to rural France and live a simple life away from the madness and mayhem that we call natural life. Today I watched the Diary of Anne Frank and every time it makes me weep, not because of their faith but because of mans inhumanity to his fellow man. There is no bottom to the depths of which we can sink, no depravity too great that we cannot engage in. For all our technology we are nothing better than the savages that lived in caves.

The only difference between then and now is the propensity for greater death and destruction.

Your absolutely correct, humans haven't change...are weapons just got bigger. We will forever be fighting over imaginary lines in the sand so it seems. However i do believe our downfall will be our rebirth, the strong and the sensing will survive, and the millions of dumb founded dip *snip* will be washed away if i may quote Tool.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by magicmushroom
Just, I know all that and more besides I m just getting to the point where I don't think my brain can take much more of it. What is better, having a head full of Nazis atrocities or counting sheep.

Neither... why would you dwell on atrocities.. knowing that the holocaust was allowed to happen BECAUSE of the ignorance of the people on all sides is the important part.... now, work to combat that ignorance. What you REALLY need is Wisdom to know what knowledge is important. The ignorance of the Natzi's is important to know because it is what allowed for the atrocities to happen... then, don't count sheep, but teach the sheep!

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Just, I am wise, thats the problem, the quest for truth uncovers the bestiality of man. Have you stood on fields where hundreds of thousands have died, I have, have you seen the torn and mutilated bodies of those killed in crimes, I have. While I can see the greatness of what we can achieve that is drownded out by the cacophony of mans evil deads.

Right now there is more chance of us all dying in yet another world war than there is in us understading and living with each other. All for nothing more than profit and power. We are doomed to failure by our own greed and indiference to the suffering of others. We turn our backs on those who need us most convincing ourselves that we are not to blame, soothing our consciences that we cannot do anything.

I have over the years done what I thought was my bit, be it giving money to charites, African aid or sending food parcels to what was the former Soviet Union. But all that money and all the money ever sent to charities is dwarthed by just one war, any war. The worlds leading nations spend more money on war and offence not defence than all the 3rd World countries a thousand times over. Whlie we supply onne country with aid we give their enemies the means to kill them.

The Planet Earth needs cleansing of the parasites that infest it, because we deserve no better. We have the means to become one, to become whole but we allow hate and indifferernce to rule our minds.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

I guess ignorance is bliss sometimes, but bliss doesn't challenge, bliss is conforming to a bubble, and many live and die in that bubble, I'd rather know pain and misery than constant bliss, when bliss comes along I can appreciate it much more and have grown because of it. The cost of evolving is worth it, you can't have pleasure without pain, joy without misery.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Raz, who said we cannot, why can we not have just joy and pleasure who said there had to be pain as well. The only pain I can see is that which is man made and if it is man made that means it can be stopped.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join