It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A survival item seldom mentioned

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
My seldom mentioned item is:
Coffee Filters.

say a 200-500 pack is relatively compact,

Uses:

A hand covering for undesireable handling,
a plate,
you can filter things as needed, make a sandwich lay one on a log/rock and have a barrier from dirt, etc...
Burnable for fire starting, and use you imagination.

TP...Whatever...

Very sturdy, compact for the quantity, I have this item ready.

Your thoughts?

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Mmm, this talk of rat/mouse traps for triggers has given me an idea...

My friend and i often hunt squirrels at his house, and as its hella easy, we've been trying to come up with some other, more impractical/highly romanticized ways to catch squirrels. I think im going to pick up a pack of these traps, and rig them up as a pressure trigger for a small homemade mine, and set it on the tree feeder. (maybe fill the mine with brass bb's for a bigger effective range)

yes... that should be fun.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
My BOB is as follows:

Pack type(German Army fel-car camo field pack)

Total weight (60lbs)

First Aid Kit (Comprehensive with antibodies and industrial strength pain-killers and trauma/gunshot kit included)
200ft parachord
Crank Radio/LED Flashlight combo
Compass
Magnesium firestarter/Magnifying glass(Focused beam creates flame)
Hoodie, 2 pair socks, ski mask, M-65 Field jacket(BDU), BDUs + boonie hat(Don't want to be seen), vinyl poncho big enough to cover pack in the rain
Rifle cleaning kit
-40 degree F. army sleeping bag
Screw driver with detachable heads
4 season tent
Vegetable wash(for killing fungus)
Mini soap and shampoo bottles
Hand and face wipes
Machete/knives(Gutting and what not)
Mini Mess-kits
Fishing poles(collapsible)
Chain saw(as in a hand saw)
Zip ties(Trust me these are handy)
200,000volt stun gun(Keep it dry, but if you need to knock someone or something out they are very useful).
20 9 volt batteries(for stun gun)
Water puro-pills

As a poster mentioned above and I forgot to include in this post, coffee filters are very important. As they will filter out particulates from water that water-puro-pills won't.

I also have a camelbak hydration system, a small water bottle and a canteen that hold a gallon of water that will be carried by my girl friend
Her BOB is lighter and has most of the things that I do, but I can carry a 200 pound pack on my 135 pound body for several miles(I'm pretty fit for good reason) and she can't. I also have her carrying about 100 rounds of the total 158 .270 win ammo, and I have the bolt action. She has the the .22
LR handgun, or she will when she turns 21 this year.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by projectvxn]

[edit on 1-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

The water tabs are good to have for obvious reasons, but I have also added several Aquamira filter straws to my gear recently. They each filter 20 gallons and will remove crypto & Giardia. I like them because they can either be used with a bottle or if I find myself in a situation where the water source is just a trickle along rocks or has some other situation where a bottle cannot be submerged to be filled, I can use the straw to extract water from the source. I also have discovered that while cheese cloth or a bandana will filter any large debris from the water, a little kerosene lantern mantle (obviously unused/unburned) workes even better and can be tied around the intake on the straws just like you'd tie it to your lantern.

I also have a lot of various firestarter tools in my bag, from firesteel to magnesium starters to lighters to a trusty striker box to a friction bow (and waterproof matches). I have a snuff can that I have filled with pine pitch and a couple of small bags of cedar shavings. One thing I'm overly careful with is my fire kits. The Cascade range here in western WA lives in a perpetual state of damp with intermittant soakings. It can be extremely frustrating to keep a fire going, let alone get one started unless you carry the right gear.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

The wooded areas of the Northern Nevada/Sierra Nevada high desert are dryer and fairly easy to ignite. Lots of wild fires take place down here. Should you ever find yourself bailing out. Drop on by this area. Lots of very safe, very survivable conditions here. Lots of game, and lax gun laws.

I also have about 1000 strike anywhere matches in a box wrapped in platic-wrap. I have a few hundred water proof matches, as far as filtration is concerned coffee filters are very good for particulates. Otherwise boiling will do the trick and so will the puro/pills. Gotta travel as light as possible in mountainous areas like this one.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by projectvxn]

posted on Feb, 28 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
A seldom mentioned survival item- a tin opener. Without it you go hungry.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join