You don't shout in the jungle.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Yeah,
I think we should all go to the Serengeti to drink beer and howl at the moon all night because no scientist can tell me that lions are actually going to attack and kill me instead of stopping by for a friendly game of chess.
Really, how could any of us possibly be worried that something else in the universe might be as agressive as humans. Maybe there was never really a Ghengis Kahn, or a Stalin, Mao, or Hitler. Even the USA dropped a few nukes but nah, no way anything else in the cosmos would ever drop by to exterminate some pain in the butt humanoids that beam crap into space like an annoying jerk thumping down the road in an overblown sound system on wheels.

Yeah, we know it all.
Now, who's up for a swim in the crocodile pool?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 10:56 AM
link   
out of all the millions of organisms on this planet there is only one that regularly goes around killing for no particular reason. working with the information we have i would say it's unlikely that we would meet another randomly violent species right off the bat.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by pieman

He is a weak physicist? He is the top physicist of our time. It is not part of his job to determine if there is life elsewhere in the universe or what it would be like. He crunches numbers about time and velocities and the like. As to the disease portion of your response, certain bacterias affect multiple species, so who is to say if they would or would not harm alien life forms.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
[edit on 5-2-2009 by magikman]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by magikman

his physics credentials aren't in doubt, he is, however, physically weak, and this inherent weakness colours his opinions in this particular subject.

bacterium and virus' occasionally mutate and jump species, but that is not a huge mutation as the old host and the new host, as well as the bacteria, all have very similar cell structures, so the elements required for viral or bacterial survival aren't massively different in either host.

an alien species would be almost 100% sure to have a widely different cell structure.

this makes a cross contamination by either bacteria or a virus very unlikely.

[edit on 5/2/09 by pieman]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

War is based on need and aggression. Civilizations not in competition for a resource are called neighbors. So I ask, for what possible reason would a civilization, far enough advanced for galactic space travel, need to attack or harm or enslave us? Certainly their ability to harness and utilize natural and energy resources has long since surpassed our own. Barring those resources, what else would they need? Our souls?

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by eaganthorn

This is where we get into the Big Time speculation. IF there is a race of technologically advanced aliens, why would they hurt us?

Beats me. Why does a guy climb high up into the freezing Rockies just to shoot a sheep from 1000 yards away? It's not my idea of a good time. And anything as alien as aliens, how can we fathom what motivations they might have?

They could be benign, they might be indifferent, they're maybe malevolent. And that would all be from our perspective, which could all be irrelevent from theirs.

So back to the original point, do we hide from whatever intelligences which may be out there due to the potential risks? Or do we take the next epochal step in our development by attempting to reach out to beings which could be very, very different from us? High risk/high reward?

[edit on 2/5/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Point taken, war verses sport.
I guess it is conceivable that an entire civilization could look at us as a hunting sport.
But unless we meet the neighbor, we will remain in the dark.

[edit on 2/5/2009 by eaganthorn]

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I do not subscribe to the idea that an alien life form would destroy itself when reaching a specific point. We, as Humans, destroy ourselves through greed and there is no reason or evidence to suggest that every civilization possible in the universe would have the same values (or lack thereof) as Humans.

Again, he is looking at this entire subject with the biased opinion of a Human.

We are stuck in a quandary here, because we cannot make estimates about any aspect of another alien race while limited to our own experience and understanding.

The only way we can consider anything about alien life and civilization is to state that anything is truly possible. And once you have grasped this premise, all other conversation and debate is pointless, because the possibilities are truly endless. There is nothing left to debate or assume.

I entirely believe that alien races do exist out there in the vast expanse of the universe. And I truly believe that some have visited Earth. I also believe that many are fearful of us.

Just because we have experienced massive destruction and warfare, doesn't automatically mean that an alien race must have developed any weapons to destroy other life. It is equally possible that they have no desire to harm, because we know nothing of their existence, their history, their values, their beliefs, their social structure...

But, I also agree that it is entirely possible that there is a race out there able to destroy us.
There may be one who would eat us all given the chance, just as we eat other species below us.
And for that reason I'll agree with his suggestion that shouting in the forest is not the best approach.

The best approach would be to remain silent, continue as normal but be aware of the dangers of predators. We should tread softly, and be prepared for an encounter with anything, friendly or otherwise.

posted on Feb, 5 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I very much like your post here. I agree that since we are trapped here, that there is no way to truly know what to expect, that we must of course choose to concentrate our thoughts on the possibilities and play out our space exploration very carefully in the event that we gain the ability to travel outside our own solar system. It is a necessity. I would rather us be observers first of any civilization we may find, rather than immediately approaching it to make contact. Risk has had its big pay off here with exploration. The Europeans conquered the New World with relative ease. Guess why? There is nothing on this planet bigger or badder than us. That much is obvious. Any contact with an unknown intelligence should cause us to be wary due to the very fact that it is totally unknown to us. We can handle contact with ourselves. We know what to expect when meeting new people, during times of crisis, or the general response of an enemy during war. I know that there are people out there who think that there are aliens visiting us now. Personally I find that hard to believe. Many of those people want to meet them immediately, believing that both groups would mutually benefit from the contact. That is just naive to just assume that anything intelligent to be able to travel here would have transcended the concept of war or conflict according to their own experience.

posted on Feb, 26 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
If you feel you need to pick on a cripple you can pick on hawkings but if you are attempting to question this mans ability to offer humanity a progressive perspective on our probable future YOU HAVE MADE AN UTTER FOOL OF YOURSELF.

His point is irrefutable,we are all related to each other in the universe all life originates from an original source.It doesnt take much of a stretch to observe that all lifeforms on our planet ARE PREDATORY.Any intelligent life form that is seeking to extend its reach out into the universe is either completely peaceful and doesnt know of war or violence OR has been forced out into the universe by its instincts to survive ,expand,and spread.Either way we are screwed,on one hand we would probably nuke a peaceful ship if it came into our atmosphere without our PERMISSION,and on the other hand we wouldnt offer peace to an obviously stronger opponent ,we would fight instead.Either way we fight because it is our nature to do so in order to survive.If you accept that all life is related you must face the reality that all life is like us or predatory,therefore we should be looking for ways to assimilate any new races of humans we meet as opposed to trying to maintain a singular existance thereby inviting war and destruction.This is probably excatly what our governments are doing right now.

We cant even solve world hunger,for the love of god,any species that is one sixth our size BUT CO-OPERATES AS A SPECIES would kick our asses overnight.We need to listen to hawkings simply because he has nothing to lose ,he is using the resources he has available to be the best human he can be.His unique ability to garner media coverage is a miracle,had he been handsome and fit he probably would have had a CAR ACCIDENT by now.

Just so we are all on the same page here POSTING ON ATS IS ALSO SHOUTING IN THE JUNGLE.

Thank god that those shouts can sometimes be USED AS LURES TO HUNT THE HUNTER.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I might decide to shout in the jungle if I had 60000 or so nuclear weapons randomly spread around my village.You may just come charging in to my call,BUT ONCE YOU REALISED YOU HAD WALKED INTO A POSSIBLE ARMAGEDDON you would change your lions roar into a babys wimper.

Shout all you want to as long as you have nuclear weapons that can obliterate the environment on the planet you become god and even predators fear god.

This is why we dont get regular public visitations, because we are holding earth hostage so we can have total control of our environment ,this is a human need,the control of the environment and it is also our achilles heel because only our vanity makes us believe we can control our planet.

Not many people make surprise visits to hells angels clubhouses either,right?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 02:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by pieman
out of all the millions of organisms on this planet there is only one that regularly goes around killing for no particular reason. working with the information we have i would say it's unlikely that we would meet another randomly violent species right off the bat. [/quote,

That is an interesting point but I have to disagree...

When a human commits murder, there is always a reason, it may not be an "acceptable" reason but non the less it exists. There are many examples in the animal kingdom of "natural" killers, i do not profess to know their reasons but I do know that they do not always kill for food or to protect their young:

i.e.

foxes,
badgers,
cats,
otters,
killer whales,
Zander,
chimps,
some breeds of dogs.
some species of birds,
ants,

but to name a few.
PEACE,
RK

EDITED cos i just thought of zander

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Rigel Kent]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Hello!
Could you please provide me with the link to the You Tube video? I would really love to watch that.
Thank you so much. Aspasia

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 03:30 AM
link   

I agree with Hawking in this case. In a couple hundred years we might develop the technology to easily explore the whole galaxy.

And I assure, unless the media brainwashes us into more docile beings. We will still be as bloodthirsty and sexually starved as couple hundred years back. And I think aliens are just the same bent on conquest for new worlds and flesh to taste.

Our idea of highly advanced civilizations came mostly from movies and TV series like Star Trek - but they too still act out their most lustful fantasies in a 'holodeck'. We aren't certain what lurks outside or what's in store for our future 'advanced' civilization.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Unless we all find a way to work as a single global community under one governing system we will never make it out into space to find other life forms.For some reason we think that some other lifeform would CARE ABOUT OUR EXISTANCE ANY MORE THAN WE CARE ABOUT AN ANIMAL WE ARE FOND OF LIKE THE PANDA BEAR .

We will never take our hostile intentions out of our solar system with us ,BUT WE WILL NEVER LOSE OUR ABILITY TO BE HOSTILE.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I think what mankind is most known for is fear of the unknown. Stop and put yourself in a position where your truly faced with an encounter or better yet practice it. There are times when I'm lying in bed with my room pitch black and I'll just imagine what it would be like if a gray appeared from the shadows. And although I go through this and have it on my mind from time to time I still feel like I would overreact to the visitor. I laugh to think how someone who doesn't even believe in extraterrestrials would react in a similar experience. Mankind has got a ways to go before they are ready for a large scale visit and the visitors here know it. We value our lives so much we are blinded with stupidity through the eyes of the unknown. Mankind will be ready to make friends when they realize its not the duration of life that matters but the experiences, knowledge and friendships made that make life worth living and dying for.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Please attempt to think outside the box like the genius Hawkins has. Just because an entity is capable does not keep it from being feral. And just because you think your characteristics are flaws does not make them universal flaws.
"Anger is a gift."
Consider an unintelligent feral species capable of vast travel. Something like a giant virus that's not exactly living, or emotional. This entity bypasses technological evolution entirely.

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
To OP:

You do shout in the jungle, if you are the TIGER or GORILLA or CROCODILE!!

Do not fear the jungle, or it will never be conquered.

There is nothing scarier in the jungle that he who is confident that he rules his portion of it.

light in the dark,
O-315

posted on Apr, 29 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
While i understand the remark i feel its far to late. We have been sending radio waves into space for years. If someone or something out there is listening they were aware of our presence long ago so why should we stop now?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join